Friday, April 12, 2024

job interviews/ "140 BMO customers say they lost $1.5M in transfer frauds, plan to sue bank"

 Mar. 21, 2024 Job interviews: I attended these in Jun. 2019.


Italian restaurant: 

Pros:

1. It was 2 buses to get there.  One of the buses comes every 30 min.

2. The hours are daytime 9am- 2 or 3pm. The latest is 4pm.

3. The pay is $15.50/hr.  There are tips so I can get up to $18/hr.

There is a free meal at work.  Free coffee.

On the weekdays are lunch buffet.

On Fri. and Sat. night there is table service.

Cons: 

1. The buses and is kind of hard to get there.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  The place is still open.


Healthy fast food place: 

1. This was in the north side.  2 buses to get there.

2. The hours are full- time.  11am- 5pm.

3. The pay is $15/ hr.  The tips come in at the end of the month.  The discount on the food is 50%.

4. The duties are food prep: chop veggies, shred.

Cleaning: sweep, mop, clean tables.

Take orders.

Cons: none.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  I can do the job.


Ice cream place #1:

Pros:

1. It was in the west end.

2. The hours are part-time for the summer.  4 hr shifts for 3-4 days a week.  

3. You scoop ice cream and make milkshakes.  It can get busy.

The discount is you get 20% off the ice cream.

Cons: none.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.


Middle- Eastern Fast Food place: I attended a job interview here in 2017 and 2018.  I attended a job fair here in 2019.

Pros:

1. They're hiring for locations I can get to like City Centre and West Edmonton Mall.

2. They're hiring part- time and full- time.

3. The pay was $15/ hr.

4. I can do the job as a food counter attendant of taking orders and food prep.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.


I attended these in Jul. 2019.

Ice cream place #2: 

Pros:

1. This is really close by.  1 bus to get there.

2. The hours are Mon.- Fri. 9:30 am-4:30pm.

3. The pay was $15.40/ hr.

4. The job is a cake decorator.  I make cakes and cupcakes by pouring them.  There is 1 month of training.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  I attended a job interview there in 2018, and the boss remembered me.  I didn't get hired.  I was the 2nd choice.


Boutique clothing store: 

Pros:

1. I can take 1 or 2 buses to get there.

2. The hours are Sat. and Sun. 12pm- 6 or 7pm.  The weekdays are either 10am-3pm or 3pm-9pm close.

3. The pay is $15/hr.

4. I can do the job of selling clothes, and payments.

Cons: none.

My opinion: I was neutral about this job.  I like working at restaurants more.


Orthotics store:

Pros:

1. The hours are like 11am- 5pm.

2. The pay is $15/ hr.  The commission pay is 1.6% of $800. 

3. The duties are to call clients to follow up on the application, schedule and deliver routes.

Cons:

1. It seems kind of hard.

2. The place is far.  I have to take 2 buses and a bit over an hr to get there.

My opinion: I wasn't really that interested in working there.


The Coffee shop chain: I attended an interview here in 2018 or in 2019.  I got another interview in 2019.

1. To the best of my memory, the pay was $15. hr.

2.  I can do the job of serving customers.

Cons:

1. The place was far away in the west end.  I have to take 2 buses to get there.

My opinion: I was neutral about working at this place that's so far away.


Good Earth Coffeehouse: I am writing the company's name because the Scotia Place location has closed down.  Also I'm not writing anything negative about this.

1. It's in downtown so it's easy to get to.

2. The hours are day time.

3. The pay is $15/ hr.  There are tips.  The drinks are free.  The discount on the food is 50% off.

4. The duties are prepare drinks, and food prep like chopping veggies.

Cons: none.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.


Lease- to- own company:

Pros:

1. It was 2 buses to get there.  The buses come often.

2. The hours are day time.

3. The pay is $15-17/hr.

4. The duties are about leasing to own furniture and appliances.  I verify applications and call references.

Cons: none.

My opinion: I was really that interested in working there.



Here are the other 2 blog posts of the week:

"Employers set for a shock as hybrid work makes staff less loyal"/ "Majority of white collar workers not eager to return to office full-time — poll"




"Employers set for a shock as hybrid work makes staff less loyal"/ "Majority of white collar workers not eager to return to office full-time — poll"






My week:


Mar. 26, 2024 "Will and Jada Pinkett Smith’s Charity to Close After Oscars Slap: Donations Sink; Thousands Spent on Elusive Mental Health Orgs and Overdrawn Bank Fees (EXCLUSIVE)": Today I found this article by Willam Earl on Variety:


The world of celebrity charitable foundations is big business, from old Hollywood stars like the late Paul Newman’s Newman’s Own Foundation donating hundreds of millions to charity via its food products, 

to young superstars like Olivia Rodrigo’s Fund 4 Good advocating for reproductive rights on her Guts World Tour. It’s the perfect way for A-listers to spotlight their philanthropy, while their accounts make sure the generosity is accounted for and publicists can place items about caring clients.

The Will And Jada Smith Family Foundation was the perfect outlet for the Hollywood power couple to advocate for the issues that mattered to them, including health and wellness, arts education and sustainability. But Will’s image took a serious hit after he slapped Chris Rock at the 2022 Oscars. Tax filings show that after the incident, high-profile contributors that had given to the foundation in the past stopped, and the enterprise is in the process of shutting down for good.

According to tax records from the Will And Jada Smith Family Foundation reviewed by Variety (via ProPublica), the foundation’s revenue dropped from $1,760,000 in 2020 and $2,138,660 in 2021 to $365,870 in 2022. The year-over-year drop of 83% included the departure of contributors such as American Airlines, which donated $76,160 in 2021, and CAA, which contributed $100,000 in 2021.

A source close to the foundation told Variety that the couple was winding down the foundation, which they founded in 1996, before the Oscars slap, and is focusing more on giving the same amount to charitable causes — just privately.



Newman's Own Foundation:


To nourish and transform the lives of children who face adversity.

The Foundation continues Paul Newman’s commitment to use all the money that it receives from the sale of Newman’s Own products to support children, their families, and their communities.

More than $600 million has been donated to thousands of organizations, helping millions of people in the U.S. and around the world.




Olivia Rodrigo’s Fund 4 Good:





Apr. 11, 2024 "140 BMO customers say they lost $1.5M in transfer frauds, plan to sue bank":  Today I found this article by Angelina King on CBC:

Elizabeth Bernas and her husband had planned to use the proceeds from their home sale to renovate their new house in Ajax, Ont., to pay for their children's university tuition and to go on a family vacation.

But before they could, they say someone accessed their Bank of Montreal account without authorization in late 2022 and withdrew more than $63,000 through a series of transfers that the bank won't reimburse. 

"We were shocked," Bernas said. "We almost dropped on the floor." 

BMO told Bernas it won't compensate them because it appeared the transfers were done on their device, there were no failed login attempts to the account, and a malware scan of the computer didn't show any irregularities, according to a letter from the bank CBC News has viewed. 

Wire and e-transfer fraud growing 

E-transfer fraud in general is a "significant increasing concern," according to the Ombudsman for Banking and Investment Services (OBSI), the national organization that mediates some disputes between member banks and clients. 

OBSI spokesperson Mark Wright says e-transfer cases are typically difficult because the wrongdoer can't be located. 

Also, "in most of these cases, we are not able to recommend that the bank pay compensation to the consumer because our investigations show the consumer has unknowingly shared or given access to their confidential information and the bank has complied with its obligations," he said in an email.

How the fraud works 

CBC News spoke with about half a dozen clients who say their BMO chequing, savings and/or line of credit accounts were drained when fraudsters somehow got access and sent themselves money through e-transfers, global wire transfers and by setting themselves up as payees for bills. 

BMO told them they won't be reimbursed because their passwords were used correctly and, in some cases, one-time codes were sent and entered correctly and the IP addresses matched those of the client, according to emails from the bank. 

The customers filed reports with police and the OBSI, who sided with the bank. 

Kenrick Bagnall, a former Toronto police cybercrime investigator who worked in the bank security sector, says he believes the customers' devices were infected by malware, which harvests digital credentials like passwords and IP addresses from a computer, tablet or phone.

Cybercriminals can then mirror the victim's computer and log into accounts. 

"It actually looks like the victim is logging in themselves when they're not," Bagnall said. "So, as far as the checks and balances and controls and the reasonable effort that the bank is putting in, from a security perspective, they're doing the right things."

Tips to protect yourself

Bagnall suggests "slowing down and being hypersensitive" when browsing websites or receiving emails. 

He also reminds people to be cognizant of what they share on social media and that long passwords equal strong passwords. 

Bagnall's five recommendations to both companies and individuals are: 

  1. Be aware of what data is stored where, and under what sort of security.
  2. Be aware of vulnerabilities — both digital and human.
  3. Educate yourself on current threats.
  4. Plan ahead by imagining a threat or problem. What would you do if you lost your phone, for instance? 
  5. Have a recovery plan in case disaster strikes. How will you get your data back, for instance?



My opinion: My tip:

Don't save your password into your computer when you log into your bank account.

No comments: