Friday, March 24, 2023

"Phoebe Bridgers on her abortion: 'I don't think about it as a baby, of course not'/ Congress: Protect our Right to Choose!

I'm posting this in honor of International Women's Day Mar. 8.


Jun. 24, 2022 "Phoebe Bridgers on her abortion: 'I don't think about it as a baby, of course not'": Today I found this article by Taryn Ryder on Yahoo news:

Phoebe Bridgers was surprised at the response when she recently revealed she had an abortion in 2021. In a timely new interview published on the same day the U.S. Supreme Court officially overturned Roe v. Wade, Bridgers calls out the "slow-drip poison of American politics" and why it was "so easy" to terminate her pregnancy.

After the Supreme Court draft opinion was leaked in May, Bridgers tweeted how she had an abortion last year while on tour. ("I went to Planned Parenthood where they gave me the abortion pill. It was easy. Everyone deserves that kind of access.") The 27-year-old singer tells the Guardian she "didn't think about it, really, at all" before hitting send.

"I've always found comfort in talking to people in passing — when someone's mom says: 'I had an abortion when I was a teen.' It normalized it for me. I was, 'All right, it's time to throw my hat into that pool,'" she shares.

Bridgers was trying to make the point that "as a white, upper-middle-class woman from California, even if it were to be overturned" she "will always have access."

"I have a friend who went to medical school — every time I need a doctor, I say, 'Do you have someone that you recommend?' So I would just go: 'Hey, where do I go for the thing? Wink-wink.' The people with access will always have access," the "Moon Song" crooner explains.

 "What pisses me off is that we're not talking about me. It's so easy: I played in Texas the same week, and then I went home and was like: oh my God. Made the appointment. It was 12 hours of my life."

Bridgers was particularly bothered by one reaction she received by going public with her story: "People with good intentions saying: 'Don’t say it was easy for you to make that decision — it was clearly really emotional.'"

The "I Know the End" singer states, "I wasn't f***ing emotional at all. Hormonally crazy! But I don't think you should assign 'it tore me up' to me. No! I don't think about it as a baby, of course not."

Bridgers, who grew up outside of Los Angeles, notes her parents are radicalized — "the good radicalized" — and remembers at age 10 when she found her dad crying after George W. Bush was elected president for a second term.

"I went into the living room and my dad was sobbing. I grew up with the weight of what stuff means, which I think is really important, especially because if I wanted to, I could just close my eyes to it and disappear. That's what's so f***ed up about this economy — the lucky ones get to flee to the coasts while so much shit is happening to poor people in the center of the country," she says.

Bridgers is donating a dollar from every ticket of her tour to an organization that helps undocumented people get abortions.

Phoebe Bridgers reflects on abortion, didn't 'think about it as a baby' (yahoo.com)

Jun. 27, 2022: I found this on my friend Heather's Facebook page:




I smell a Jordan Peele thriller.






Congress: Protect our Right to Choose!

Kate Bottorff started this petition

UPDATE 6/24/2022: This morning, the Supreme Court officially overturned Roe v. Wade, despite the fact that 61% of Americans support the right to safe abortion. A majority of our Senators and Representatives – even some moderate Republicans – say they believe in keeping abortion legal and safe. It’s time for them to live up to their word. 


Congress must act NOW and agree on legislation that offers federal protection for access to abortion – regardless of where a pregnant person lives. Click here to email your elected officials and demand they pass legislation that protects our right to choose.

My name is Kate and I was once faced with one of the toughest decisions a woman could ever make.

During my first trimester, I found out my pregnancy was no longer progressing. Overwhelmed with grief and anxiety, my doctor recommended D&C, a procedure that allowed me to choose the best route for my physical health. This procedure further permitted me to skip pain I would have otherwise had to endure, mentally and physically. 

D&C is a form of abortion and such a procedure allowed me to choose what was best for me and my family. 

Back then, I had options. Those options will be wiped away for other women in my home state of Indiana and all across the country when Roe v. Wade is overturned by the Supreme Court next month – as indicated by the leaked draft of Justice Samuel Alito. Other women deserve to have the same choice I had.

My experience does not include those who are sexually abused and, as a result, become pregnant. 

The standard which the Supreme Court is setting would hinder a victim’s right to abortion after rape or incest as well. 

No girl or woman should be forced to give birth – especially after becoming pregnant under despicable circumstances.

I refuse to allow our generation to be the first in U.S. history where daughters have fewer rights and less freedom than their mothers. As a mother myself, such a regression of protections and rights is frankly appalling. 

Further, a right to necessary healthcare based on geographic location is abhorrent and against common decency. I refuse to live in an America where a woman's ability to live out her destiny is limited by her zip code. Forced births are un-American and the time to end this assault on the dignity of pregnant people is now.

National legislation is vital in this moment. The majority of our Senators and Representatives – even some moderate Republicans – say they believe in access to safe abortion. Congress must draft and agree on legislation that offers federal protection for access to abortion – regardless of where a pregnant person lives. 

Our elected officials represent the people of this country. The majority of us want access to safe and legal abortions. It is their duty to act in our best interest. Lives are on the line. Sign this petition, then call your Senator and representatives and demand they pass legislation that protects our right to choose.

Jul. 21, 2022 Keep Abortion Decriminalized and Regulated as a Medical Procedure in Canada!

  • by: Care2 Team
  • recipient: The Government of Canada
29,660 SUPPORTERS
30,000 GOAL

Canadians believe that abortion is health care, like any other medical procedure administrated by regulated health providers. Thankfully, the current system in Canada reflects that – abortion in Canada is an insured service under the Canada Health Act, the federal law that determines how health care is managed. Under this current structure, anyone who needs an abortion can get one, so long as "it is offered by a health care provider who follows the science and the rules of their profession."

Canadian reproductive rights organizations believe strengthening enforcement of the Canada Health Act is the most important thing to do to protect access to abortion. 

Alternatively, an abortion law would politicize a medical procedure that has no business being subjected to political opinion. A bill referencing access to abortion could allow anti-choice politicians to introduce legislation putting limits on this area of health care.  

As abortion is a medical procedure, the experience of accessing it does differ from province to province. Some places in Canada add administration fees to abortion care, and many Canadians have to travel unreasonable distances to access services. In this way, there is still work to be done by Provinces and Territories to expand and bolster access!

That's why advocates are asking Canadians to pressure legislators to strengthen the Canada Health Act and not to ask for laws referencing abortion.

In June, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland condemned the U.S. Supreme Court's decision to overturn abortion, telling Canadians: "I want all Canadian women and girls to hear from me that the right to choice, their right to an abortion is a fundamental right. We will not let that right be undermined in any way here in our country."

Hold our politicians to their words and demand that the Government of Canada mandate all provinces equalize access to abortion care through the Canada Health Act, removing financial or geographical limitations!









Jul. 7, 2022 Leo opinion: Are you for or against abortions?

For: 85.38% (3032)

Against: 14.62% (519)


Mar. 23, 2023 "NDP MLA Jennifer Bowes criticizes Sask. government for inaction on safe access zones": This is from Change. org:

Two years and three attempts later, Saskatchewan still does not have a safe access zone law!  In the House on March 20, 2023, NDP MLA Jennifer Bowes and Opposition critic for Status of Women, voiced her frustration at the inaction of the government: 

"I have introduced a private member’s bill *three* times now calling on the Sask Party government to legislate safe, protest-free buffer zones around abortion-providing facilities in Saskatchewan.  We have heard nothing but crickets from the Sask Party government since the bill was first introduced in May of 2021 — now nearly two years ago. The Sask Party government continues to let this bill die on the order paper, time and time again."

"Health Minister Paul Merriman has refused to agree to meet with myself and our Health critic, Vicki Mowat, to even have a bipartisan discussion about the bill. This is shameful. It is completely unacceptable that this government refuses to ensure safe access to abortion services in our province that are free from the threat of harassment and intimidation."

Watch Jennifer Bowes' remarks here: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=204955422142307 

Petition update · NDP MLA Jennifer Bowes criticizes Sask. government for inaction on safe access zones · Change.org


This week's theme is about International Women's Day and celebrities talking about abortions:


"Jodie Sweetin speaks out after being pushed by police at abortion rights protest: 'Our activism will continue'"/ "Busy Philipps is arrested at Supreme Court protest following Roe v. Wade decision: 'For equality'"



My week:


Mar. 21, 2023 "Ont. woman waits 3 months before realizing she won $100K lottery through $1 bonus game": Today I found this article by Leticia Gaba on Yahoo: 

Jade Jenkins, 21, experienced a life changing moment when she won $100,000 playing ENCORE as part of OLG’s Lottario draw. The ENCORE system allows players to pay an extra $1 as a bonus game to attach to their already purchased ticket for a host game.

“This ticket was a gift from my friend,” said Jenkins while at the OLG Price Centre in Toronto to pick up her winnings.

“I had this ticket for three months before I checked in. I finally brought it to the convenience store and scanned it. When I found out I was a big winner, I was shocked! I stared at the screen for a while trying to process what I was seeing.”

Upon the good news, Jenkins went home to her mom and friend.

“She was in shock too and congratulated me. I called my family friend who bought the ticket for me, and he was really happy too.”

For the self-employed Jenkins, “this is life changing.” She believes the win will provide opportunities and open doors toward a brighter future. She plans to invest in her business and further her education.

Ont. woman waits 3 months before realizing she won $100K lottery through $1 bonus game (yahoo.com)

My opinion: This is a positive story.  However, I remember my sister, mom and I were talking about how you shouldn't buy lottery tickets for people.  If that person won, it seems like the person should give some or half of their winnings to the gift giver because they're the ones who bought the ticket.


Mar. 22, 2023 "Shake Shack plans to expand to Canada next year": Today I found this article on CBC:

Shake Shack Inc. is expanding to Canada, with its first location planned for Toronto next year.

The New York-based restaurant chain made the announcement in a press release Wednesday, saying it will partner with two Toronto-based investment firms — Osmington Inc. and Harlo Entertainment Inc. — to open its first Canadian location in 2024.

Burger wars heating up

Shake Shack's long-awaited entrance into the Canadian market comes amid a wave of U.S. fast food brands expanding to Canada over the last decade.

Five Guys, Carl's Jr., Wahlburgers and Blaze Pizza all flocked to Canada before Chick-fil-A and Dave's Hot Chicken headed north in recent years.



Mar. 19, 2023 Leo opinion polls: There are these daily polls on there.

Do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day?
No- 85%
Yes- 15%
My opinion: No.

Do you celebrate Easter?
Yes- 59%
No- 39%
Not applicable- 2%
My opinion: No.

How do you put the toilet paper roll?
Over- 80%
Under- 20%
My opinion: Over.

Mar. 20, 2023: Do you like to go to the movies?
Yes- 69% 
No- 31%
My opinion: No.  I like to watch movies on TV because it's free or at least cheaper on cable.  Also I like to rewind and re-watch something in case I didn't hear it or want to see it again.

Mar. 21, 2023 "Sullivan's Crossing": I saw a promo for this show.  It's a CTV original so I went on CTV.ca to watch it.  This is a Canadian show and the Canadian lead Morgan Kohan and Chad Michael Murray (One Tree Hill).  It's on Sunday nights on CTV.  I will record the series and maybe watch it during the summer time.

This is a Canadian TV show that wants to be get renewed, by putting this show in the less competitive times of the year like debuting in spring season.  A lot of Canadian shows come out during mid- season, spring season, and summer.  I don't really find it interesting and it seems like those Hallmark shows like Chesapeake Shores and Good Witch.

"Neurosurgeon Maggie Sullivan, reconnects with her small-town past after a scandal causes her to leave her professional and personal life behind in the city."


Mar. 22, 2023: I didn't look for a job today.  I did a lot of chores around my home.


I attended 2 job interviews on the phone this week.

No comments: