Sunday, February 10, 2019

Eliza Reid/ "Will my career be stained forever if I work for a cannabis company?"

Jun. 11, 2018 The Ladder: Eliza Reid: Today I found this article in the Globe and Mail:

Eliza Reid, 42, is the First Lady of Iceland. From the Ottawa Valley, she started an Icelandic communications firm in 2003 and co-founded the Icelandic Writers Retreat in 2014. A University of Toronto graduate, she married Guðni Th. Jóhannesson in 2004; he was elected president in August of 2016. 


I wanted to become a lawyer by watching Street Legal, [then] maybe a diplomat; I always admired and respected the work diplomats undertake; sometimes it’s misunderstood and unappreciated. 

I went into international relations at the University of Toronto; my aunt took me to dinner on Queen Street and I looked out the restaurant window – to the Street Legal office.


I did my master’s in modern history at Oxford University, and met my future husband studying. In the UK, I got a job with a lot of travel, which I enjoyed. When I went to Iceland, it was important to get a job on my own merits. 

I worked for a software company in sales and marketing. After a year [I was] laid off – as is often the case, it’s shocking and discouraging but ends up working out. 

I started freelancing and travel writing, then opened my own communications company working for many organizations, private, public, big and small. I haven’t updated [my website] since becoming First Lady [in 2016], other than to imply I’m not taking on [work].



I moved here in 2003 with my fiancé. I wasn’t moving just to see how it would go – I would always have a connection and now we have four children. With some European royal families, I get to use my French a bit.

 I took Icelandic lessons, was very diligent in speaking and insisting people reply in Icelandic. I could write a book on silly and embarrassing mistakes I’ve made. As a family, we took the decision, quite suddenly, for my husband to run [for president]. I’d introduce him or answer questions; people could see I was invested in the society.


The president has a non-political role, comparing mostly to Canada’s Governor-General. Diplomacy shows that human contact is still paramount. Obviously, I’m not a proper diplomat but I have some exposure and opportunity – a great privilege – to represent my adopted country. 

Iceland’s a non-hierarchical society, egalitarian. There are similarities with Canada because we’re both northern countries with roughly the same population density, populations concentrated in strips with vast swaths of wilderness; both still understand the power of nature.



I joked for years that when I turned 40, I wanted to go to Paris with him. About six weeks before, nothing was planned so either I’d say, “It’s okay honey, I didn’t want to go anyway”, or “Fine I’ll organize it.” 

He declared his candidacy on my 40th birthday. Immediately after being elected, we got up in the night, on his birthday, to fly to Nice for the Iceland and England [soccer] game. We went back for the game against France – in Paris on our wedding anniversary.


Iceland’s first-ever men’s World Cup match is June 16 [vs. Argentina]. No furniture was harmed making that video [playing soccer] in our dining room; it was pouring rain out. We won’t be there. June 17 is our National Day; the president awards the Order of the Falcon, like the Order of Canada. The June 26 game is on his 50th birthday. 

We all joke, “Don’t schedule that conference, meeting or event in June!” Because we’re a small country, success is so much more accessible. Everybody knows a player, though they play abroad professionally. Iceland’s team doesn’t have arrogance; it has confidence. 

It knows the entire country – and others – are behind it. Our women’s team is also incredibly successful, qualifying for 2017’s European Championship, the third time consecutively.



I was speaking to students, saying how when you’re a teenager you’re a bit insecure. It’s so valuable and important to be comfortable in your own skin. When I was young, my mother often said, “You’re so capable.” 

It’s not a very sexy adjective but I thought, “Okay, I can do this, I’m capable.” If you develop that self-belief you can handle something or know where to get help, that gives you some sense of security. Maybe being told I was capable was the best advice.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/careers/management/article-eliza-reid-icelands-first-lady-sees-many-similarities-with-canada/


"Will my career be stained forever if I work for a cannabis company?": Today I found this article in the Globe and Mail:
The Question

What do employers think about a candidate who has worked for one of the large cannabis companies in Canada in a strictly business/management function? I have an offer from one, and am getting mixed responses from friends and family. With the taboo regarding this industry still strong, I wonder if I’m committing career suicide or red-flagging myself for future opportunities outside of this firm. I am personally liberal on this issue, but others aren’t.



The First Answer


Greg Conner


Vice-president human resources and corporate secretary, BC Transit


I would start with the obvious in that a plurality of Canadians were in favour of the legalization of cannabis, so I would suggest those same liberal mores will be found in the broader business world.



Your career is yours alone, and with something so intensely personal you need to decide whether the opportunity provides the chance to positively shape your career for the long term, inside or outside the cannabis industry.


I assume you applied for the position for the prospect of getting in at what is the ground floor of a new industrial sector, as well as an opportunity that will challenge and positively shape your career for the long term.


As a human resources professional, what I want to see as a prospective future employer is what skills and experiences you have obtained over your career. To me and the vast majority of others in my profession, that is much more important than what industry sector you worked in.


The bottom line is we all want to feel good about the organization we work for, and as it appears you can do that, my advice is to go for it.

The Second Answer

Julie Labrie

President, BlueSky Personnel Solutions, Toronto


I’m going to answer your question with a question: Are you personally comfortable working in this industry? If you said “no,” then you’ve answered your query. Don’t accept this offer.


If you answered “yes” and feel you’ll enjoy the work and grow, then mixed reactions from your social community need not dictate your decision. Focus on what’s in it for you and your family.


Working in the marijuana industry is not a red flag for employers and you won’t be committing career suicide. It is a legitimate and legal industry. Your future employers will be interested in the skills and experience you acquired from this position, and how you’ll transfer that into their business.


Attitudes on cannabis have shifted greatly over the years – a full 68 per cent of Canadians polled in 2016 by the Globe and Mail/Nanos Research reported being supportive of legalizing marijuana in Canada.



Moreover, from a reputation standpoint, this emerging industry is keeping influential company. Some of Canada’s top ex-cops and former politicians are prominent shareholders or advisors in leading cannabis companies. 


Lastly, as an article in the Globe and Mail mentioned recently, Canada has a real opportunity to become a world leader in a global sector projected to be worth $60-billion a year by 2028. You could be a part of this leadership.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/careers/career-advice/article-will-my-career-be-stained-forever-if-i-go-to-work-for-a-cannabis/



If 68% supported marijuana, then 32% didn't and the likelihood is those that didn't are older. That's a one in three chance in you may be interviewed by someone who views marijuana unfavourably. That will change for the better over time.If it's a dream job, go for it but if it's a stepping stone in your career, look elsewhere

If you are only going to work in Canada it probably will not be an issue but at present if you go to work in the US either directly or as a sub to a US company this very well may be a real stumbling block. Should your Canadian employer have a contract with a US Gov. agency you may have some real problems.

Your willingness to venture out into relatively uncharted business waters could be an asset to future employers. Forget about any stigma. In a very short while it will seem no more outlandish than taking a position with Molson's.

Ask yourself if you would want to work someplace where your tenure at a cannabis company was a sticking point.

There is politics in business too. Mind the optics of where you work; it matters.

Articles like this insult, help fill up a newspaper with many words so readers think the are getting a lot but they are not.

No comments: