Sunday, September 30, 2018

job interviews/ Behere.org/ Opportunity Village

Aug. 14, 2018 Dental office job interview: I did an interview here in Jun. 2018.

Pros:

1. The hours are Mon.-Fri. 8am- 4:30pm.

2. The pay is $15-$18/hr.

3. It's close by with 1 bus.

Cons:

1. It seems really hard.  The duties is a transcriptionist to write reports to insurance companies.  Write an in-depth medical report.  Medical terminology.

Write letters to doctors.  There are templates and I have to proofread it.

My opinion: I didn't get hired and that's fine.  It was good that the HR woman emailed me back to inform that I didn't get hired.

Pet food store: I did an interview in Jul. 2018.  This is out of the box.

Pros: 

1. The hours are Mon.-Fri. 9am-9pm.  Weekends are 10am-6pm.

2. The pay is $14/hr.

3. It's close by with 1 bus.

4. I can do the job by selling and being a cashier.

Cons:

1. It seems like I have a lot to learn.  I don't own pets or know much about pets and animals.

My opinion: The interview was 30min long which is long for a regular retail job.  I would see I get these interview times at an office.

They were willing to give people trial shifts like work 1-3 shifts to see if they are a good fit.

Small start up company: I did an interview in Jul. 2018.  This is out of the box.

Pros:

1. It was kind of far like 2 buses to get there, but they come often.

2. The hours are part-time like 3-4hrs a day.

3. The pay is $15/hr.

4. The duties are write business proposals, write contracts, development contracts, business plans, social media. It's where I work with and not for the boss.

5. He did seem to be a nice guy and I felt a rapport with him.  He is the only other person working here so you need to get along with this person.  He did say: "I don't want to get your hopes up, but you are 1 of my top 3 choices."

Cons: 

1. I guess he didn't exactly tell much about the company.  If I were to get hired, then he will tell everything and I have to sign a confidentiality agreement.

My opinion: I didn't get hired, but that's alright.  I didn't really see myself as a fit.

Janitor supplies office: I did an interview back in Jun. 2018.

Pros:

1. The hours are Mon.-Fri 8:30am-5:30pm.  Sat. 9am-4pm.

2. I can do the job of phones, help customers, filing, order forms on website.

Cons:

1. It was 2 buses to get there, and 1 of the buses doesn't come often.

2. It's kind of a boring place to work like selling janitor supplies.  

My opinion: However, these are mild cons and I would still work there anyway.

Fast food full- service restaurant:

Pros:

1. It was close by like 1 bus.

2. It was 3 weekdays.  It can start off at 10:30am to 7:30pm.

3. The pay is min. wage with tips.  I get to keep all tips and none to kitchen.

4. The discount on the food is 50% off.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.

Asian fast food place: I did a job interview when it first opened in 2017.  I didn't get hired.  Now they're hiring at their 3 locations.

Pros:

1. There was West Ed and downtown locations.  I was willing to work at both.

2. The pay was min. wage and each day we get our tips.

3. I can do the job of food prep and cooking.  

4. The discount was 50% off.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.

Sept. 23, 2018 Aquaterra: I saw this job ad to be a sales professional in the Edmonton Journal.  However, you need a driver's license.


https://aquatera.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=113


My week:

Sept. 25, 2018 Behere.org: I was reading "Talk show host aims to help substance abusers" by Leanne Italie in the Edmonton Journal about Wendy Williams in the  and it mentions this charity:

Over 20 million Americans over the age of 12 have an addiction. The Be Here campaign is an effort led by media personality, Wendy Williams, to create systemic change in the fight against this epidemic. We want to be here for the people who need us, and we want them to be here for the graduations, the first steps, the recitals, the laughs, the journeys and more.

Our goal is to support the treatment and recovery of those facing drug addiction, work towards creating lasting solutions through legislation and support innovative treatment.



Sept. 27, 2018 Opportunity Village:
"US cities try out homeless village": Today I found this article by Elise Stolte in the Edmonton Journal:
The foreclosure crisis and growth in homeless camps across the United States has sparked a series of experiments with homeless villages and tiny houses.
With residents and some Edmonton city councillors looking to reduce the $1.7 million spent on cleaning up homeless camps each year, Postmedia reached out to Andrew Heben, a researcher who first lived in these camps, then helped set up several villages in Eugene, Oregon. He’s project director with SquareOne Villages and wrote the book Tent City Urbanism, published by Village Collaborative.
Q: Why did you propose these villages?
These homeless camps are growing because there isn’t enough shelter in our cities, said Heben. They grow and become more organized in every city where authorities aren’t continuously evicting people, something courts have ruled against when people have no housing alternatives.
But the camps aren’t all bad. When Heben lived there, he found positive social dynamics. Left to themselves, people experiencing homelessness were organizing in a democratic, horizontal way to ensure the camps were safe and sanitary.
Opportunity Village was established in 2013 on one acre of city-owned land with some basic rules, but the format encourages residents to come together and make their own additional rules as needed. There are now at least a dozen of these villages in the northwestern states alone.
Q: How much did it cost to set up Opportunity Village?
The group raised US$100,000 in donations and roughly US$140,000 in labour and gifts in kind, said Heben. That paid for 30 tiny, wood-frame bedroom units, plus a large yurt with a kitchen and computers. The residents all contribute toward utilities or help fundraise if they have no source of income.
Opportunity Village is meant to be transitional housing. But because it’s so difficult to find an affordable home, the group’s second village upgraded the units slightly to offer more permanence. They’re connected with electricity and can have a small wall-mounted heater.
Q: In Edmonton, the debate often centres on where to locate services. How did you get community buy-in for the spot?
“It’s about developing a local coalition to push this forward,” said Heben. Those volunteers “are the ones in the community, knocking on doors and trying to build the political will to make it happen.”
It takes time and neighbours often have fear at the beginning, he said. But if they’re involved in the process, they’ll often see the positives that can come from this approach.

Sept. 29, 2018 Instacart: I was looking for a job and I found this company where your groceries can be delivered to you in an hr.


The highlight of the week:
Job interview: I went to one job interview this week.  This is the only one I had this month.

Editing my blog: I went to my blog and edited out blog posts from 2008.  It was the year I started blogging.  However, I do need to edit out some personal info like where I worked and worker's names.

Call centre experience:

For the most part, I have been good at it like saying Call Centre #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6.

The #1, #2, #3 are on my resume because I worked there for months.

#1: 7 months and then it closed down and laid me off.  (2005-2006)

#2: 5 months and then I quit to go to school full-time.  (2006)

#3: I worked for 6 months and then I got laid off.  After a few weeks, they started cutting my shifts because there wasn't a lot of work.  (2009-2010)

#4: I worked for 1 day in 2010 and I was dismissed because I only called enough people to complete 9 surveys.

#5: I worked for 2 days in 2010 and I was dismissed because I only got a small amount of money from people to donate to a charity.

#6: I worked for a few months in 2012.  I was then let go because of lack of shifts.  That was fine, because I then got the Office Job.

I went through the notes and I see how many shifts:

Oct. 2012: 6
Nov. 2012: 1
Dec. 2012: 3
Jan. 2013: 4

Flashback: If you read the 2008 posts, I write way more about TV and movies than I do now.  Maybe you guys don't see a difference.

However, I wrote a lot about writing and pitching my script to TV production companies.

Lisa Woodruff: I found this Marni Battista Dating Den podcast.  This did inspire me to put my Call Centre #6 paper into scrap paper. 

What if I told you the number 1 thing keeping you single, was your stuff?

Not your emotional stuff… like not feeling worthy of a great guy, self-sabotage or even leaking masculine energy at the wrong time…
But your actual STUFF! You know, all the crap cluttering up your home….
It’s true! Clutter can kill your love life faster than talking non-stop about your ex.
That’s why today on the Den, my incredible guest is going to show you exactly how to take action and organize your space so that it helps you create love in your life, instead of driving it away!
My guest today, Lisa Woodruff is the Founder of Organize 365, Creator of the 100-Day Home Organization Program, and The Sunday Basket Workshops. She is also the author of the books, The Mindset of Organization: Take Back Your House One Phase at a Time and How ADHD Affects Home Organization and the Hostess of the Organize 365 Podcast.
She helps women reclaim their homes and their lives!
http://datingwithdignity.com/2018/09/podcast-dating-den-episode-86-lisa-woodruff-moving-together-still-single-youre-stuck-organizational-quicksand/


Fall 2018 pilots: Here are the Coles Notes version of the fall 2018 pilots I saw this week:
FBI: a very good action drama.  I will record it and watch the rest of the series.
Manifest: a good mystery.  I will record it and watch the rest of the series.  I will probably watch it all in a week.
A Million Little Things: it's a good drama. I will record it and watch the rest of the series.  I will probably watch it all in a week.
Magnum PI: the pilot was fun to watch.   I saw the pilot and I won't watch it again.
New Amsterdam: it's a good medical drama.  I saw the pilot and I won't watch it again.
I Feel Bad: It was a good sitcom.  I saw the pilot and I won't watch it again.

God Friended Me: This show is on tonight and I will check it out. 


No comments: