Thursday, May 26, 2016

mid- season 2016/ summer 2016


Mar. 19, 2016 DC's Legends of Tomorrow: Here is a show with a mix from Arrow and The Flash characters.

Do you remember how I wrote about The Flash pilot and how afterwards I decided to never watch it again because it was too much like Smallville?  Here it is:


Well I always watch Arrow and I saw this episode, which is part 2 to the crossover of The Flash.

So decided to watch The Flash:


I needed to be up to date to watch the 2 part pilot of Legends of Tomorrow.

I learned of the bad guy Vandal Savage. I learned about Kendra and Carter or Hawkgirl and Hawkman.  They have a past together and are interconnected.

The episode was average.  It got a good few lines:

Barry (the Flash): Believe in yourself, and your true self will emerge.

Cisco: I know what it's like when your life suddenly change.
Kendra: There's a whole bunch of lives inside of me.  I have to embrace my destiny.  I have to believe.

Kendra: I'm never going to let become who I really am, unless I let go. I have to do this. 

Legends of Tomorrow pilot: I knew there was going to be a high chance this was going to happen.  I'm going to watch the pilot and then never watch it again.  I was right.

On imdb.com:

Focuses on time-traveling rogue Rip Hunter, who has to recruit a rag-tag team of heroes and villains to help prevent an apocalypse that could impact not only Earth, but all of time.

The Rip Hunter recruits 8 characters (6 of them from The Flash and 2 from Arrow).  They all have 36 hrs to think about joining him.  Ray Palmer asks Arrow and Sara asks her sister Laurel if they should join.

There were some thought put into joining the mission.

Pros:

1. A lot of good and big name actors.  You got Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell (from Prison Break), Victor Garber (Alias), Brandon Routh and Caity Lotz (Arrow).

2. There are good action scenes like the ones on Arrow.

3. A few good parts like how Kendra and Carter meet their son.

4. Some good lines like when Dr. Martin Stein (Victor Garber): "At my age, I don't know many adventures I have left."

Ray (Brandon Routh): I don't want someone to put a cap on my destiny.

Sara (Caity Lotz): This mission is about changing the future.  If we have to power to change the world, then don't you think we have the power to change our own fate?

I should put those 3 lines above in my inspirational quotes. 

Another interesting line was: "War helps humanity."

5. It's kind of funny with parts where Stein, Jax, and Sara meet the younger version of Stein in the 1970s.

6. Interesting writing with traveling in time and changing the past or not changing the past like how Stein was to meet his wife at the college mixer.

Cons:

1. Too many characters: It was 9 in the first episode.  At the second episode they got down to 8. 

I guess it's just me.  I'm sure there are some people who are like "8 is good amount."

2. Wentworth Miller playing Captain Cold.  I don't like his acting and tone of voice in this character.  He played a sweet and sensitive guy in Prison Break.  I have seen him play a cop in Law and Order: SVU and he was a swim team guy in the Buffy episode "Go Fish."

My opinion: Overall, I thought the show was average.  I didn't really connect with the characters.  They're likable and good premise, but I didn't connect with it.

If you like Arrow, The Flash, comic books, action and adventure, science fiction, you'll like this. 

Mar. 30, 2016 The Magicians: I saw the first two episodes that premiered on Showcase back in Jan. 2016.

"After being recruited to a secretive academy, a group of students discover that the magic they read about as children is very real-and more dangerous than they ever imagined."


Pros:

1. The characters Quentin is a likable protagonist.  Alice is good too with her deep reason to find out about her brother at the school.  The other supporting characters are average.

2. Interesting setting with the magic school like Harry Potter.

3. Good special effects with the magic.

4. It's unpredictable.  There were surprises in scenes and characters.

5. Good writing with the characters, setting, storylines, motivations.

This is for the audience who likes Harry Potter, fantasy, magic, special effects, watching the college experience, the whole "being chosen" for a special and elite organization.

Cons: None that I can think of.

My opinion: It's a good show, but I didn't connect with it.  I can tell it has to be shot in Canada.  I saw the actor Hiro Kanagawa in it (Principal Kwan on Smallville.  He was recently on Heroes Reborn and The X-Files reboot.)  I looked it up and it's shot in Vancouver. 

Apr. 11, 2016 Rush Hour: I saw the pilot because I saw the first 2 movies.  It was an average show.  I won't watch it again.  I'll add this to the other TV shows from movies like Minority Report and Limitless that came out last fall.  This show came out Mar. 2016 for spring season.

Pros:

1. It was a light, fun, and funny show to watch.

2. I like Carter (Justin Hines).  He's funny.

3. I like that the police captain is a white woman (Wendie Malick).  There has been a lot of women and women of color as bosses like on Blindspot, Forever, and Castle

4. There is good action and fight scenes.

5. I like Carter's line: "You do have a choice, you just have to be willing to make it."


Cons: None I can really think of. 

Maybe they changed it a bit because Lee has a sister on the show.  They needed to create a deeper reason why Lee stays in LA.

My opinion: You can watch it if you want to.  It's a fun show.

Lucifer: This show came out in Jan. 2016.  I saw the pilot and it was average.

Pros:

1. I like the song they played at the beginning called "Ain't no rest for the wicked" by Cage the Elephant.

On imdb.com: "Satan takes up residence in Los Angeles."

2. Tom Ellis as Lucifer, (Satan) is a good actor.  Lauren German playing the straight- laced cop Chloe is good.  DB Woodside (he played the principal on Buffy season 7) is on and his character's from hell.  AnnaLynne McCord (90210)played a famous singer in the episode.

3. I like the line where Lucifer says to the famous singer Delilah: "You're wasting your talent, your life."   I'm going to put that in my inspirational quotes.


Apr. 30, 2016:

Cons: None really.

My opinion:

Comparisons:

A straight-laced law enforcement woman pairs up with a quirky guy: Castle, The Mentalist, Forever

It reminded me a bit of the TV show Angel because of how it looked and it was set in LA and it was supernatural.

May 24, 2016 Houdini and Doyle: This is on Global.  I saw the pilot.  It was good and all, but I didn't really connect with the characters.

"At the turn of the 20th century the Metropolitan Police were overwhelmed with bizarre cases so they turned to outsiders including Houdini and Doyle, who collaborated with New Scotland Yard on some unsolved and inexplicable crimes."


Pros:

1. The characters Houdini and Doyle are good.  I like cop Stratton (Rebecca Liddiard) who is struggling being a woman cop.

2. I did like the pilot of how a ghost supposedly killed a nun.  It was a good mystery and writing.

3. It was good acting all around.

Cons: None.

My opinion: You can watch it if you want to, but I won't.  It didn't really interest me.

The Night Manager: I saw the pilot and never watched it again.  It was a 6-part series.

"A night manager of an Egyptian hotel is recruited by intelligence agents to infiltrate an international arms dealer's network."


Pros:

1. Good production with the filming.  It was like a movie.

2. Tom Hiddleston is really good as the night manager.  I have never seen his work before until now.  Hugh Laurie (House) was good as the bad guy.

3. The line where Richard Roper: "My good fortune means nothing if it doesn't lift up my fellow man."

4. Good writing.  There is lots of suspense, conflict, tension, and drama.  I like how Hiddleston's character attempts to do a good thing and protect a woman who is in danger.

Cons: none.

My opinion: It's good and all, but it's not my kind of show.  You can watch it if you want.

The X-Files reboot: The NFL playoffs cut into the show like 24 min in.  Then I had to watch the rest of if on YouTube.  I remember when The Simpsons and Reboot had the actors David Duchovany and Gillian Anderson on their show to make fun of the X-Files.

Pros:

1. I did like how it starts.  Dana Scully is now a doctor at a hospital.  Joel McHale plays a blogger named Tad O'Malley.

Tad: I'm rich because of my pursuit with the truth. 

Scully: I had intense and challenging work at the X-Files.  I felt alive.

My opinion: Intense and challenging work would be like law enforcement and medical jobs.

Mulder: It's about controlling the past to control the future.  It's about fiction masquerading as fact.

A good part is this:

Tad: The government is hoarding and hiding alien technology.  They encourage, cull, kill, and subjugate. 

Perpetual wars, electromagnetic pulse...

Alien invasion of the US.

Mulder: Russians did it in 1947.   It's irresponsible to not say it.

My week:

Feb. 22, 2016 Teen magazines: Do you remember how in Dec. 2015 I sent an email that I was decluttering and any of you guys can have my magazines like Marie Claire?  My sister gave all these from 2005-2012 to me in summer 2012.  I then read all of it.

2015 came and I decided to declutter.  No one wanted them so in Jan., my friend Jessica drove us to Value Village and I donated all of it to them.

For the past couple of weeks I was reading all my Seventeen and YM magazines before I get ready to donate them.  It takes some time to read them one more time before donating.  I really like these magazines because I grew up with them.  My sister was buying these since she was 11 yrs old and I was reading them about as young as 10 yrs old.

I learned a lot about what's going to happen as a teenager with stories of "My boyfriend died" and other serious stories.  Of course there were the fun things like quizzes and celebrities.


May 19, 2016: It's been about 3 months and I was able to finish reading about like 50 teen magazines.  I have kept a tally, but I haven't added it up yet.

Yesterday my dad actually went and donated my magazines and books to Goodwill.  That's good.  I did that with my friend Jessica back in Jan.  I did ask 3 other friends with driver's licenses and cars to go to Value Village and donate my stuff, and then we can hang out.  They said they were too busy.

Bloglovin': I found this when I was looking for a job.  It's about creating your own blogs and following other blogs.  It seems more like lifestyle with food, books, etc. 


May 21, 2016 Leaving messages: I was thinking about that time I accidentally offended my friend a few years ago.  She said I annoyed her by leaving messages saying I just wanted to talk.  Well I stopped doing that.  I even applied that to my friend Jessica.  I called and then I felt there was nothing to say and I didn't leave a message.  She knows I called when she sees my number. 

May 22, 2016 Joke: Today I worked at my first restaurant job.  20 yr old S was going to have lunch with co-worker Y.

Je: Are you guys going on a date?
Y: Yeah, don't be jealous.
lol. 

May 23, 2016:

Marie Claire: My sister bought these magazines.  I like the news stories.  If you like hair, clothes, and makeup, celebrities, then you'll like it.

Psychology Today: My sister also bought this.  This is a good and educational magazine.  It's something I would recommend.  It's like self-help.  Instead of reading a big book, it's faster and easier to read a magazine.

Psychologies: My brother got this magazine for free.  It's like the above. 


O Magazine: This is Oprah's magazine that my sister bought.  It has the hair, clothes, makeup, and celebs.  It also has good self-help articles to "live your best life."

Day off: Today is my day off because it's Victoria Day.  This is one of the few days I get 1 day off a month.

It's good to have a break from routine.  Here is how:

Job search: I did a bit of my job search, but instead of job sites, I was at companies websites.  I did that for an hr in the morning.

News articles: I put up more of book reviews and author interviews here onto my email drafts so I can send them later.  I will be giving these clippings to my co-worker S.  I did that for an hr in the morning.

What you don't know is, is that I put all these articles into my email drafts.  I then reread them when I post/ send them later.  However, there are some articles I can't find on the internet so I reread them one last time before I put them in a big envelope to give away to S.  I'm also decluttering news articles this way.

I only read these book reviews twice a week (Edmonton Journal on Fri. and the Globe and Mail on Sat.)

I didn't read the newspaper at all today.  Don't read any job articles, only book reviews.

Complaints: However, as I have put up some old 2011- 2012 articles from the National Post onto my blog.  When I try to copy and paste some, the website doesn't let me and says I have to be a subscriber.  There's this pop-up window that won't let me read the article.

O Mag: I read some more of my O mag.

Cookie monster commercial: When I have a whole day off, I can tend to get bored.  Like right now I'm kind of bored, but I'm trying to do something productive like getting my weekly emails and blog posts ready for the months ahead.

I feel like Cookie Monster in this iPhone 6 commercial:


I did like watching this with Cookie Monster behind- the- scenes:


May 24, 2016 TV pilots: I also broke from my routine a bit today.  I woke up early, did my job search and then wrote about TV show pilots I watched over the past few months.  I have written notes on scrap paper and writing about it now.

I have been left brain so long with putting my job articles, I need to do something with my right brain.

May 25, 2016: I have now finished reading all my magazines.  There aren't any in my room.  I don't know if this counts, but I do have two MacEwan student magazines called Papercuts.


No comments: