Saturday, July 25, 2015

Tracy, a message of thanks from daughter of imprisoned school teacher


Daughter of imprisoned
teacher in Bahrain says "Thank You!" 

Dear Tracy,

Thank you for your recent action in support of Mahdi Abu Dheeb, a school teacher who has been detained in Bahrain.



Mahdi's daughter, Maryam, shares these words of thanks ... 
" I can't be more thankful for every e-mail you send, every action you take. Whenever we visit my father I tell him about every single update I get from you guys and I could tell how much this means to him! I know all the actions might not necessarily put him out of jail yet I, my dad and my family feel that we have people around us who supports what we are going through."

A teacher and union leader, Mahdi was arrested, beaten, tortured and jailed for defending human rights and calling for democratic reforms in his country.

Mahdi was subjected to 64 days in solitary confinement. Maryam tells us that her father had two broken ribs and was suffering from severe neck and back pain when she saw him after his time in detention.

Thank you for taking action!  You give hope to Maryam that our voice for justice and human rights will make a difference.

Sincerely,

alex_sig.gif


Alex Neve,
Secretary General, Amnesty International Canada 
P.S. Good news: another prominent human rights defender in Bahrain, Nabeel Rahab, was been released yesterday from prison! Nabeel was detained in January for an "insulting tweet". See news story.

No comments: