Monday, October 20, 2014

You did it - Ángel Colón is free

Ángel Colón has been released from prison thanks to you!

Dear Tracy,

Ángel Colón has been released from prison thanks to you! THANK YOU!  It worked: more than 20,000 messages were sent last week by Amnesty International urging Mexico for the 
immediate and unconditional release of activist Ángel Colón, and on Thursday he was set free!

Since hearing the news I have been thinking a lot about our remarkable and very touching visit last month and how Angel was truly an inspiration to all of us; with his grace, dignity and sense of compassion. To have spent time with a survivor of torture who has been through all the injustice he has endured, deep inside a high security Mexican prison, and still come out feeling uplifted and hopefully was something quite incredible. 
alex_sig.gif Alex Neve, Secretary General,
Amnesty International Canada 


Ángel Colón has been released! 
angel_free_300.jpg
Ángel Colón, tortured into "confessing" to crimes he did not commit and unjustly imprisoned for 5 years, has been released from jail!

Never doubt that raising our voices for rights and justice can make a difference! 

A delegation from Amnesty International met Ángel in prison during a human rights research mission to Mexico in September 2014. His story was captured on film and shared with Amnesty supporters around the world, leading to thousands to respond and urge Mexican authorities for his release.

Read about the good news and watch a video 


A grateful Hamid-Ghassemi Shall sends a letter to Amnesty supporters one year after his joyous return to Canada
Hamid_airport_300.jpg A year after returning to Canada following 5 1/2 years in an Iranian prison, Hamid writes:

"With the shadow of execution over my head I felt I had been forgotten. I felt hopeless, I felt that I had reached the end of my life and had given up hope to see my family again. Then one day, a kind person brought several photographs to me that completely changed my outlook.

They all featured my wife Antonella. In one of them she was with Amnesty International wishing me Happy Birthday. I didn’t recognize anyone except Antonella. A rush of emotion came across me --  people who didn’t know me were advocating for me.  It was then that I realized that I was not alone."  


Good news! Reyhaneh Jabbari has not been executed and pardon discussions are underway
reyhaneh_300.jpgThank you to everyone who mobilized so quickly to take action for Reyhaneh Jabbari!  The swift campaigning helped Reyhaneh’s case and has reached the ear of the Iranian authorities.
Reyhaneh has been in prison for seven years and was to be executed last.

At just 19, she was charged with murder after stabbing a man she says was trying to rape her. Reyhaneh admits to stabbing the man once, but maintains a third person was involved in his killing. These claims, which could clear Reyhaneh’s name, have never been properly investigated.


Hip hop musician and former child soldier Emmanuel Jal is spreading the human rights message across Canada 
Jal_Aylmer_300.jpg
Musician Emmanuel Jal is thrilling packed auditoriums in a cross Canada tour, challenging students to take action and be a part of change in the world.

Jal escaped as a 7 year-old from war in South Sudan along 400 other children, only to be recruited as a child soldier.



Read about his most recent stop on the tour

No comments: