Sunday, May 4, 2014

job interview/ applying less/ new career



 Apr. 3 Job interview: Today I went to a job interview.  It was my day off.  I was there at 10:30 am with 6 other people.  They were all college students except me and another woman.  There was this 45 min. Power point presentation to tell you what the position is about.  It was 11:15 am.  After that, we all had to wait to have a one-on-one interview. 

It was 1pm before I got to talk to the interviewer.  It tested my patience, but I did read my Globe and Mail Life section, and read two issues of Retail News magazine.  I had to see it through to the end.  I had to practice my interview skills.

Apr. 9 Job articles: I was going through my Job Seeker newsletter emails and I found “3 Career Takeaways from Lebron James.”  However, the link didn’t work.


It did lead me to Come Recommended:

“Come Recommended, LLC, is a content marketing and digital PR consultancy for job search and human resources technologies. We specialize in driving leads to–and increasing conversions for–our clients using proven strategies, such as content development, social media marketing, media & blogger relations, and search engine optimization.”

In Demand jobs: Here is “In Demand Jobs for 2014.”  I already wrote about what I read in a Yahoo article before.  It mentions about jobs in the trades and AB is hiring:
  1. Mining, oil & gas supervisor
  2. Pilot
  3. College Instructor
  4. Railway & transportation supervisor
  5. Power systems operator
  6. Health-care managers
  7. Education administrator
  8. Head nurse
  9. Railway conductor & brakemen/women
  10. Dental Hygienist
 
Applying less: “Less is more- why applying less helps you get hired.”  I disagree with this article.  It says about “Only apply for jobs where you meet all the requirements and qualifications.” 

I read the business section of the newspaper about Sheryl Sandberg’s book Lean In about women in business.  I have read other job articles where most women apply for jobs where they meet all the requirements while men apply for jobs where they meet about 60% of the requirements.

You should apply to jobs where you don’t 100% meet all the requirements.  You can still be qualified for the job and you can learn those skills on the job.

Overqualified: “Feeling Overqualified for a job?  Make it work for you.”  It mentions about having a good attitude, and building relationships and connections.  You need to get good references.

If you are succeeding very well at your job, after 6 months, ask for a raise.

Set a goal. Being overqualified for your position with little hope of rising out of it can make a person feel pretty sorry for themselves. Don’t just sit back and accept it, use the security this job offers you as a step towards your goal. This goal can be career-related, such as a promotion in two years, or you can focus on a personal goal. Your job might be beneath you, but it doesn’t have to define you: volunteer, take a course, start a blog or run a marathon.”

Follow-up: “How do I know when to follow up?”

It mentions about following up after an application was sent in.  It’s good to send it after 5 business days to ask if they have received it and when the interviews will start.  After a job interview, you should email to thank them.  Don’t call because it’s a nuisance.

Outdated job search rules: It was on Job Seeker, and then it lead to Forbes.  One of it was to send a handwritten thank you note, when you can just email.



Apr. 14 New career: I was reading my Job Boom newsletter.  “Do your New Year’s Resolutions include a New Career?”  It mentions about how a lot of people want to make a career change with stats, and people writing in about how they have lots of interests and not sure how to narrow it down.

One of the mistakes many people make when choosing a new career is to look only at what they know how to do, or what they do well, and try to select a career on that basis.

However, your skills should not be the only basis for choosing a dream career. After all, if you have a talent for filing paperwork, do you really want to spend the rest of your life as a file clerk? (On the other hand, if you enjoy filing, you could have a dream career as a professional organizer.)

In many cases, even if you have no previous experience, you can learn the skills you need to do a job well enough to get paid to do it. So why not do something you love?

One way to start narrowing down your career choices is by answering some basic questions:
  • What is the first thing that pops into your head in response to the question “What’s the best job in the world?”
  • What did you dream about doing when you were a child?
  • If you could do any job in the world, what would you do?
  • If you could take over anyone’s job for a day, whose job would you choose?
  • If you had all the money you wanted, how would you choose to spend your days?”
It goes on about researching careers, and volunteer work to try out the job first.

My opinion: This is a good article with good tips.  To answer the first 4 questions, I have thought that the best job in the world is being a singer and dancer, performing.

The last question, I would be writing.  I would get my TV script produced.


Mompreneurs: A Job Boom article is “Chaos Normal for Mompreneurs.”  It’s a good article with tips about being a mom and an entrepreneur.

“Decide if you’re in business to make money or to stay busy and expand your hobby. Once you know, you can take appropriate action and you’ll know better the time commitment required.”


Entrepreneurs: I’m going to talk about that jewelry business.  I want the creative aspect like making the jewelry.  I would have to hire someone to figure out payroll, how much the materials are going to cost, and to get the license to sell it at farmer’s markets.

Writing: However, I am the one who does the creative part by writing my script.  I also act like my own agent by looking up TV production companies on the internet and pitching to them.

No comments: