Tuesday, May 20, 2014

holistic health practitioners/ Help Robbie Find a Job



Apr. 24 Holistic health practitioners: I was looking up MacEwan programs and this came out.  It seems to be new: 

Note: There are no admissions to the Holistic Health Practitioner program for the 2014/2015 academic year. The university plans to implement a revised program of study in a future academic year.
Holistic health practitioners understand that the body, mind and spirit are connected in complex ways. Grounded in a variety of theoretical perspectives, holistic health practitioners support clients toward optimum health and wellness by examining physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, bio-energetic and socio-cultural dimensions. Various modalities such as Reflexology, Reiki, Acupressure, Herbology and Nutrition focus on these dimensions of well-being.

From self-healing practices to entrepreneurship, the Holistic Health Practitioner program provides a comprehensive education in the art and science of complementary health. The learning environment facilitates critical thinking and analytical skills, self-directed learning and group process skills.”

http://www.macewan.ca/wcm/SchoolsFaculties/HCS/Programs/HolisticHealthPractitioner/index.htm

Apr. 30: I looked it up on the internet.

Reflexology: “a system of massage used to relieve tension and treat illness, based on the theory that there are reflex points on the feet, hands, and head linked to every part of the body.”

Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.”

http://www.reiki.org/faq/whatisreiki.html

Acupressure: 

Acupressure is an ancient healing art using the fingers to gradually press key healing points, which stimulate the body's natural self-curative abilities. Acupressure was developed in Asia over 5,000 years ago. Using the power and sensitivity of the hand, Acupressure Therapy is effective in the relief of stress-related ailments, and is ideal for self-treatment and preventive health care for boosting the immune system. Acupressure releases tension, increases circulation, reduces pain, and develops spirituality and vibrant health.

http://www.acupressure.com/

Herbology: It says it’s about using plants to restore your health.

http://www.allthingshealing.com/what-is-herbology.php#.U2GQhKJhPTo

May 4: I’m not really interested after learning what those terms are.

Help Robbie Find a Job: I was reading in the Metro on Mar. 19, 2014.  I finally checked out his website today.  It says he did find a job.  He enlisted the whole city of Vancouver to help him find a job.  It’s mainly if someone finds a job for him, and he gives 10% of his salary to the person who gave him the job lead.  He also has his resume up.

About me:

“Hey everyone, my name is Robbie Cooke.  I just moved to Vancouver  with the hopes and dreams of finding a job with a company that suits my skills, personality, and goals.  This is my way of doing it.  I don’t know a lot of people here and I figured this can be a way for me to meet people, get in front of companies and all the while have some fun doing it.  

After getting a taste of the west coast while attending university, I always knew I would be back.  With a little push from my nieces and nephews, I decided the best time to move back out West was now.  Vancouver is where I want to be.  I love the city, the culture and the people. And don’t forget the weather!  The prairies are nice, but it gets exhausting every time you go outside having to deal with icicles constantly forming on your moustache and beard.”

I feel the best way to get noticed by an employer is to stand out from the crowd, by thinking outside of the box and working hard at being creative.  After a few months of submitting my resume online to countless companies, pounding the pavement and not finding one that fits what I’m looking for, I knew I had to take a different approach to find that perfect position.

I thought to myself, “what could I do to get noticed by a future employer?”  All sorts of ideas ran through my head, and it finally came to me: why not ask the people of Vancouver to be my personal headhunter?!  So this is what I have decided to do: build a website, share the word online, enrol the local community, ask for your help and build a network of amazing people!

http://helprobbiefindajob.com/#x-content-band-2

May 5 Petcetera: I read in the Edmonton Journal that Petcetera is closing down some stores.  I read in the Metro today that the Petcetera in Millwoods is closing down.


Unemployment: I was reading in the Globe and Mail today that the longer you are unemployed, the harder it is to get a job.  It is especially harder if the person is older like over 50 years old.

May 6: Elephant and Castle: Today I was looking for a job and I decided to check out restaurants instead of offices.  I see that Elephant and Castle on Whyte Ave is hiring.  I then thought about the City Centre one and it closed down way back in 2009.


Grand and Toy: I read in the Metro that the office supply store Grand and Toy is closing down.  The store is going to have their business online.  It turns out most the money they made is on their website instead of the store.

It made me think about Staples closing down their store by City Centre.  When that location closed down, I was like: “Well you can still buy office supplies in Grand and Toy in City Centre mall.”

Now G&T is closing down.  You can still buy office supplies at Shoppers Drug Mart and Dollarama.  

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/0/24/after_132_years_of_selling_stationery_grand_toy_shuts_down_stores.html

Barnes and Noble: Ginny Grimsley sent me this article by Shark Tank contestant Michael Levin. He’s a writer with his website www.booksaremybabies.com.  Here’s an excerpt:

"First, Amazon makes it so easy to buy books.

Second, publishers thrashed B&N by selling best-sellers at deep discounts in non-traditional outlets such as supermarkets, Wal-Mart and Costco, thus removing a key source of revenue for the chain.

Third, the woefully underfunded Nook is competing with Amazon’s Kindle, which is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Fourth, the antiquated model of printing books on spec, putting them on trucks, and crossing your fingers that they’ll sell doesn’t work in the internet print-on-demand era.

And fifth, book buyers want decent customer service. At B&N these days, the only way to find a sales clerk is to attempt to shoplift."

http://badcb.blogspot.ca/2014/05/oped-barnes-noble-closings.html

No comments: