Tuesday, January 14, 2014

entrepreneur/ the Year of the Office Job



Jan. 3 Entrepreneur: Last month I had a day off and I was checking out what’s on TV.  I see The Social which is a TV show about a group of women talking about news.  I don’t like watching those kind of shows, but the actress Jessica Alba (Dark Angel) was on talking about her company called The Honest Company. 

She discusses after she had her baby, she was doing the laundry and was getting an allergic reaction to all these chemicals, so she decided to start her own company that sells things without all these chemicals.
Her business partner Chris Gavigan was there too.  He’s pretty handsome.  I’m on Facebook, and I see some of my friends like that company.  They sell lots of stuff for babies, bath and body, cleaning, and gifts.  

She talks about how she hired people way smarter than her and how it took 3 yrs to launch this company.
The website is nice and all, but I’m not really interested in her products.

https://www.honest.com/?experience=c3&optimized=prime&multi=pass

Tin Box: Did you hear this two Edmonton stores are closing?  I see it when my bus goes by it and it’s closing by the end of Jan.  It sells home décor and bath and body products.  I already put it up on my Facebook telling people about it.

http://www.thetinbox.ca/

Regional Maple Leaf: I found this ad on Kijiji about selling ad space.  I decided to give them a call.  I told the woman that I worked at telemarketing before, and asked what if I don’t sell anything within the first 4 days, then get dismissed?  She says yes.

I worked at Telemarketer #1 and #2 back in 2012 and that’s what happened.  

http://regionalmapleleaf.com/careers/job-description

Jan. 5: Looks like things balance out.  Two Sun. ago I was sick, so I only worked the morning and a busser took my place in the afternoon.  Today she was sick, so I worked into the afternoon.

Jan. 12 Business facts: This is from Metro on Nov. 25, 2013

“On average, job seekers use 16 different sources when searching for a job.-careerbuilder.com
“47% of recruiters say candidate compensation increased from 2011 to 2012.”

Worker satisfaction: A survey on Monster has this about people from different countries who say they either love or like their job.

64% Canada
57% Netherlands
55% India
53% United States
46% United Kingdom

In Metro on Nov. 27, 2013, it says “Temp work, temp love.”  A study by United Way Toronto and McMaster University found that those in contract, temp, casual workers are more likely to be single because of the fluctuating schedules and lack of job security and benefits. 

Metro on Nov. 27, 2013 asked the readers about a office story.  Here’s one:

“During a tough year to merger and acquisition, the president of the company made a speech at the Christmas party and said ‘We will shoot the laggards and carry the wounded!’  As the president left the stage, a friend, obviously  having partaken of a few too many, ran at the president, jumped on his back and yell, ‘Yahoo, carry me, I’m wounded.’  And yes, he was carried- carried out by security!”

Roast Coffeehouse and Wine Bar: I read in the Metro on Dec. 17, 2013 that this place closed down.  It was in the Mercer Warehouse.  It was open for a year and half.  Nearby tenants said the place closed down because it wasn’t making enough money.

Jan. 13 Year of the Office Job: 2013 was the Year of the Office Job.  I only told my family and didn’t tell any of my friends until right now.  I did tell one friend Dan L. when I was talking to him on the phone.  I said I was looking for a job and he said that I have been looking for one for a long time.  I then told him and I will now tell you guys, but I won’t put up exactly where on my blog.


It was in downtown.  I had a desk and a cubicle.  I worked there for 5 months.  I answered inbound calls and helped customers by using the computer.  It was well-paying and I worked a lot of hours.  I worked there on the weekdays and on the weekends, I worked at the restaurant.  The first month I was there, I was working like 50 hrs a week with both the jobs. 

After that, it was like 40 hrs a week and I rarely had a day off.  I probably had like one day off a month. 
I still had time to relax even though I worked everyday.  It was 40hrs a week and I’m sure a lot of you guys work that amount, but it’s Mon- Fri.  I had those hrs and it was spread throughout the whole week.

I mainly read the newspaper and watch TV for fun. 

I was then let go because I wasn’t good enough in the selling part of the job.  However, I did last 5 months so that’s pretty good.  It’s a long enough time to put that on my resume.  Also 4 people left the job before I did.  

Staffing agency: I actually did apply for this job way back in 2008 when the staffing agency Manpower set up an interview for me there.  I didn’t get the job back then.

The thing is, don’t go to staffing agencies because you can get the job on your own.

Writing: Then it leads to my writing.  I put writing and pitching my script on the back burner for a couple of months so I could focus on the Office job.  Then it slowed down a bit at work, so I could then focus on my writing.

I then had writer’s block and couldn’t be creative.  Then I didn’t feel like looking for production companies and pitching my script to them.  I then kept working so much to keep busy. 

Jan. 14 Resume mistakes: I found this on Yahoo: It has all these resume mistakes, and how to fix it.
  


  1. Typos and Grammatical Errors
  2.       Lack of Specifics
  3. Attempting One Size Fits All
  4. Highlighting Duties Instead of Accomplishments
  5.  Going on Too Long or Cutting Things Too Short
  6.  A Bad Objective
  7. No Action Verbs
  8. Leaving Off Important Information
  9. Visually Too Busy
  10. Incorrect Contact Information


http://career-advice.monster.ca/resumes-cover-letters/resume-writing-tips/ten-resume-mistakes-canada/article.aspx?WT.mc_n=Ycanada_YToday

No comments: