Monday, February 11, 2013

gap year/ risk and reward/ inspirational story

Jan. 24 Gap year: Hazel Taylor sent me this article called "7 things You Can Do During a Gap Year."  It means "refers to the time period a student now has on their hands as a result of deferring admission after being accepted to the college of their choice."

This is a fast and easy article to read.  It's got good and helpful tips.

1. Travel
2. Work
3. Volunteer
4. Study
5. Meditate
6. Get healthy
7. Be creative

Flashback: This brings a flashback of 2003 when I graduated out of high school.  I didn't take a year off.  I had to upgrade my four core courses.  However, it was kind of easy because the summer I wasn't able to get a job so I had a lot of fun and relaxed.

In the first semester of upgrading, it was Eng. 30 and Bio 30.  So I had one easy class and one hard one.  (Bio 30 was the hard one.)  It was 3hrs every morning, and then I got home and had lunch.  Did my homework, watch some TV.

The second semester was Social 30 and Math 30 Pure.  Same easy and hard class.  In the summer after that I got a job at the dollar store to work and save money before college.  That was my gap year.

Jan. 26 Telemarketer: This was a couple of months ago, but I found this ad.  It's in the north east side of town.

What I have learned, is that I'm not good at telemarketing by taking those 2 jobs last year.  However, I am good at getting people to do surveys.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-customer-service-Part-time-work-Full-time-Pay-for-Telemarketers-Needed-W0QQAdIdZ435381645

Feb. 2 Risk and reward:

Apartment: I met this black guy who said he lived in this apartment.  There were rats and rodents in it, and then he spent 50hrs researching the law so he could sue his landlord.  He sued them and won $3100.

$3100 / 50hrs= $62/hr.

I did ask: "What if you lost?"  There goes 50hrs.  However, he was reading a lot about law and prepared himself very well to go to court and didn't hire a lawyer.  I told this to my sister and dad, and my sister was like: "You didn't have to spend 50 hrs to do that.  It's small claims court, so any Joe Blow can come in and make a lawsuit."

I then thought about how we often do things, though there is no guarantee of success.

College applications: I remember talking to my friend Cham about it.  She said: "If I apply to this college program, I pay the application fee, and then I don't get accepted.  It's like I wasted my money." 

Me: Yeah, but you have to.  I'm sure one college program has 100 applicants for 50 spots.  It takes time for the college application committee to go through all these applications and pick who gets in.

Flashback: That reminds me of how I spent $40 application fee and like 15hrs writing my career investigation report to get into NAIT's TV program.  I did the same with the Radio program.  I got rejected from both Fall intake.  Then I asked if they can put my application for Winter intake, without paying another $40.  They said yes.  I got rejected from both again.

That's okay, because I got accepted into Professional Writing.  The risk is that I lose the application fee money, and time to apply, but the reward is that I get accepted into a college program.

Job interviews: So with job interviews.  I am more about risking time.  I spend 15min. doing research on a company.  I take 45min to take the bus to get there.  I do the interview for 15min.  I then go home and it takes 45min.  I then don't get the job.  So you can say I wasted 2 hrs.

However, I have to go to the job interview for the chance of the reward of getting a job.  There are lots of times I go to the interview, and I learn that this job is not really for me.  I wouldn't know until I attend.

Lesson: Here's another lesson I learned about job search since I was 22.  At 22 yrs old, I knew about getting job experience like volunteering to get a job.  When you get a job, you can learn from it so you can get a better job or career.

I did read an article, about job interview experience.  It's good to practice job interview skills.

Dating: It's like those two times I went to a speed dating event.  The first one I went to, I spent $40 and met 11 guys.  I hit it off with one and he hasn't emailed me after that second time we met up.

The second event I went to, I paid $40, I think I met like 8 guys?  And I didn't hit it off with any of them.  So I spent $40 each time, a few hrs including to get to and from there and spend time there.

As long as you're not risking your life, or gambling your money, I think it's okay to take those risks.

Telus:
I was talking to my co-worker last week and she heard about the Telus call centre representative position.  I told her I have applied a couple of times, and didn't get a callback.  She said it was like 3 months training and you can work at home.

Lay offs: I read that Sears is laying off 700 employees and Best Buy is laying off 900 employees.  Those are huge lay offs, but I'm not surprised.  I've been reading the business section all the time about how Target is coming and how Sears and Best Buy aren't doing well.

Feb. 4 Inspirational story: My friend Sherry sent me this link about Tevinn Richards, 19.  It’s from a Yahoo article where he learned Mandarin to escape poverty.  I think she sent it to me because of that languages email I sent.

He learned Mandarin in high school, and then he was able to get good at it.  His teacher told him to go to China.  He got $3000 from friends and neighbors for airfare.  He got a " full scholarship at Qufu Normal University in Shandong province."  He wants to be a teacher.

"I love to learn to new things and meet new people. Languages and art are my passion, and expression is my tool. I believe communication is the link that every idea needs to be a success and that language can both divide and bring together the ever learning members of the human race," -Tevinn Richards.

Feb. 9 Job training: I met someone who worked at the Eveline Charles Academy call centre, and it was 2 weeks training before she got on the phones.  I also met a guy who worked at Shaw Cable's call centre.  He did 2 weeks training and then got on the phones. 

I did an interview for Eveline Charles before, but I think it was to book appointments while Shaw Cable is more about selling.  Here is my experience with call centre training.

Call centre #1: 3 days training.  After 1 day, they put you on the phones for a bit.  Then go back to training.  We learned how to fill out the surveys on the computer.  There was like 15 people in the class.

Call centre #2: 1 day training.  Watch an old video.  There was like 8 people in the class.

Call centre #3: 1 hr training.  I was with one other guy.

Call Centre #4: 3hrs training.  I was with another woman.

Call Centre #5: 15min. training.  Mainly a supervisor telling me and another young woman on how to fund raise for money.  Yeah, well I was dismissed after 2 days because I only got 3 donations. 

Call Centre #6: 1 day training.

No comments: