Sunday, December 18, 2011

milestone/ speed dating/ flashback

Dec. 14 Milestone: In the interview where I had fun at, they asked me a question: "What have you achieved last year?" I usually get questions about: "What is the achievement you're most proud of?" I would say getting my high school diploma is something I'm most proud of because it was harder to get than my college diploma.

In college, I took what I'm interested in, writing. In high school, I had to take math and science which I'm not good at. I really had to think about what I have achieved last year. I said that getting my job at the restaurant and keeping it for a year was the biggest achievement last year. It took me 8 months to get the job, and keeping it and staying there is something to be proud of.

New job: Yesterday I started my 2nd job that's supposed to be temporary for the holidays. It reminded me of the two juice places I worked at for a short time during my unemployment back in 2010. The uniforms, the people, the environment was similar to the juice places.

Today I did my second day, and I dreaded coming to work today. I didn't like it. You work really hard and the pay is $1 more than min. wage. I'm getting the vibe that the managers don't really like me because I'm not really good. They will keep me around for the remaining time I'm there. I doubt they will offer me a job after the holidays.

Job interview articles: I got this from Alberta Job Centre. It's called "How to Handle the Five Killer Telephone Interview Questions." They provide good answers to "What is your weakness?" You should say that you find it hard to find the time to keep up with all the new technologies and skills related to your work. They said everybody experiences that.

http://www.albertajobcentre.ca/content/index.cfm?objectid=3D4B5304-2219-80B4-53217D44D4091574&utm_source=Albertajobcentre.ca&utm_campaign=c96eb774de-AB_Career_Dec_14_201112_14_2011&utm_medium=email

Another article: "Do I have to Answer that Question?" It's an okay article, but you're really on the page to watch a Monty Python comedy sketch about a weird job interview. The interviewer asks questions that have no relevance to the job. At the end it was funny, but I was like: "What?"

http://www.albertajobcentre.ca/content/index.cfm?objectID=19BFF4E6-2219-80B4-53071BC9B5B7474A&utm_source=Albertajobcentre.ca&utm_campaign=28b1056173-AB_Career_Dec_07_201112_7_2011&utm_medium=email

Pregnancy employment: My friend Sherry and I were talking about how pregnancy affects your employment:

Sherry: if someone already has a trade like cake decorating, graphic design, accounting/bookeeping or sys admin/programming it is more possible to work right through the 9 months, if the employers do not feel the pregnancy to be a visual negative on customers. out of sight non-labour jobs are best.

Me: Any office jobs where you're sitting most of the time, shouldn't really affect your pregnancy. I remember going to college in 2006, and there was this librarian who was 9 months pregnant and was working there.

Flashback: Now, I'm getting a flashback of when I was a kid and there was this Ann Landers advice column. A woman wrote in saying she's pregnant and working as a waitress, because she needs the money. She doesn't like it when customers touch her stomach. AL says: "You should tell the customers that you are very sensitive to being touched and gently move their hand away."

Dec. 15 French service: That job interview to be a fine dining server has had an effect on me. It's the interview where I totally flopped and was asked questions like: "What's the difference between French and American service?"

Yeah, well I found a website about the service industry called www.tip20.com. American service is where the plate, glasses, and silverware are there when the guest arrives. French service is where the servers bring the tray of food to the guest. The guest then serve themselves.

http://www.tip20.com/3-types-of-service-american-french-russian/47

Then I read the article called "Hi! I'm the Waitress at your Local Nudie Bar." I recognize the pic because it was used on Post Secret. It's kind of depressing to read the article. The writer seems angry and doesn't like her job as a waitress.

http://www.tip20.com/hi-im-the-waitress-at-your-local-nudie-bar/939

This is a good website if you work in the restaurant/ service industry.

Dec. 16 Speed dating: So I finally went and tried out speed dating. I emailed 3 of my friends to come with me, and they didn't. It was a good experience. It was 8 min. of talking with each guy. It's about focusing on the purpose. It's to find a boyfriend. The first guy I talked to was nice and friendly, but I wrote down on the card "No."

There were 5 other guys I talked to, I was not interested in whatsoever. So it goes to my next objective to know where they worked at, and then learn something about their job and company. One company I will look up. Another guy, I told him that I see him more as a networking for work and TV producing because he says he's going to produce Youtube videos.

The last guy I talked to, I think there was a connection. We talked about these TV shows we both liked to watch. Also if you're not interested in this person, then it's still good to talk to them and see into their lives. Then I could use it for my writing.

Dream: Prior to this event, I had two dreams about it. Two weeks ago, I dreamed that Cordelia (from Buffy) and I were walking in an industrial part of town to go to the event. I think I missed it or something. Then the night before the event I dreamed that my parents and grandma won't let me go.

When I got hired at my 2nd part-time job for the holidays, I was nervous. I dreamed that I was 20min late for work.

Dec. 17 Date: So today after work, I got a call from the last guy I thought I had a connection with from the other night. His name is Glenn. I was at the mall, and it was in the afternoon, so I asked if he wanted to hang out right now. He said yes, because he's going to take a trip tomorrow and be gone for a few weeks.

So I was at the mall for 45 min. and did a little shopping. Then we met up and talked for an 1hr and 15min. Wow, I went out twice in one week. That's a milestone. lol.

Break: I'm kind of taking a break from my office job search. I'm only looking for an office job through one website instead of the usual four. I've been busy with my 2nd part-time job.

Dec. 18 Book: I know I just sent a weekly email yesterday, but I had to send one today due to this flashback. I'm really excited by it. I was reading the Edmonton Journal book review about The Chronicles of Harris Burdick by Chris Van Allsburg.

It's a book with 14 illustrations and a line from the short story. Burdick gave it to the publisher and said he will be back with the short stories to all the pictures. Then he disappeared. It still got published, and it's used to battle writer's block. There's an interesting picture, and it makes the mind wander and think of a story to it.

The original edition came out in 1984. This new edition has 14 big authors like Stephen King, and Gregory Maguire (Wicked) to write their own stories to these pictures. Here's the book:

http://www.amazon.ca/Chronicles-Harris-Burdick-Fourteen-Amazing/dp/0547548109/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324251995&sr=1-1

Flashback: My flashback is back in gr. 5, my teacher showed this book to the class and we were all supposed to pick a picture and write a story about it. In the book review there was "The House on Maple Street." It shows a suburban home lifting off the ground like a rocket. The line: "It was a perfect lift-off." I wrote a short story about that one.

I had cut my picture book into the shape of a house. I remember the class thought cutting the book like that was creative. The story was of a teen girl named Mariah, and she had to baby-sit two older kids (like 9yrs old) Lenni and Jamal. There was a younger boy who was younger like 5 yrs old. The house went into space, and something with one of the characters taking pictures of the stars and planets.

I named Mariah because of one of my favorite singers Mariah Carey. Lenni and Jamal are names from the TV show Ghostwriter. Baby-sitting was from my fave book series The Baby-Sitter's Club. This is like from 15 yrs ago, and I remember it. lol.

No comments: