Thursday, December 1, 2011

Dateline/ social media/ flashback

Nov. 29 Dateline: I found Dateline: To Catch a Predator ep "The Unseen Tapes." I think I may have missed this ep. I don't remember seeing an ep where the host Chris Hansen gives his commentary on how he approaches the predators.

Here's the teacher Walter Bast who was arrested. I think I may have read about him in Cosmogirl. There's an article about these 2 girls who said that they saw their high school teacher on Dateline. I remember this clip because of Chris Hansen asking: "Yeah, well how would you feel if some guy in his 40s walked into your house trying to hook up with your kids?" I think Bast said: "Pissed." Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwFM26cxTUk&feature=related

Here's another part of it. CH talks about how sometimes you feel sorry for them, but then you read the transcript and see how explicit it gets, you don't feel sorry for them anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krn5vP79Okw&feature=related

Nov. 30 Humanity: I found some interesting comments on Youtube about Dateline. There was a guy in the religion Sikh and he came to see a 12 yr old girl. One comment was: "This proves that there are deviants in all religions."

"This is why I've lost faith in humans. Don't like them or trust them, so I keep my guns and knives nearby."

I remember talking to my friend Angela about this thread on the internet "People as a whole, suck." She disagrees with me because there is still a lot of good people who do good things. She said she doesn't like watching some reality shows because it shows the bad side of humanity.

I mentioned before about that guy on Survivor who lied about his grandma passing away so he get sympathy votes and get himself further in the game. It was manipulative, but it was a reality show, and it's just a game. When you're on an island with strangers to win $1 million, you can do whatever. However, what happens in real life is what matters. Catching sexual predators and preventing them from harming children is important.

Productive: Today I woke up and my sister is asking me questions.

S: Is today your day off?
Me: Yes.
S: I wrote a list of chores for you to do.

I shoveled snow (not too much has fallen), took out the trash, recycling, and washed 2 pots.

Cell phone: I then went to downtown and got my cell phone to work. I had to put $20 on it to work for a pay-as-you-go. I was happy that I accomplished that task. Now I can get more phone calls from offices that I applied to.

School: I then went to my old college so I can gain access to my college emails. They told me it expired and I can't access my emails about job openings. I can access the website though. That's okay, there are a lot of job sites out there, and I can type in "communications" to search for a writer's position.

Social media: Alberta Job Centre has a newsletter: "Finding your own social media voice." It was about combining one interest with your work. An example from the article was you like snowboarding for fun, but your job is transportation. You can write a blog post about your transportation that you usually don't use to the snow hill.

http://www.albertajobcentre.ca/content/index.cfm?objectid=F5B519AD-2219-80B4-5349EE9BF9F97BC2&utm_source=Albertajobcentre.ca&utm_campaign=08cccc32e4-AB_Career_Nov_30_201111_30_2011&utm_medium=email

Excel book: It took me 3 weeks, but I finally finished reading this Microsoft Office Excel 2010 Quicksteps by John Cronan. It's $19.99 (USD), but I got this from the library. I will say it's a really good book. It's got good tips, caution about pitfalls in the program, bonus info. It's very clear, and concise writing. I like the pictures because I'm a visual learner.

However, it's just me, but I'm not really interested in it. As in the book and the program. Well I have to push myself if I'm going to get an office administrative assistant job, because that's a common program. I can say at least I got some of the basics about the program.

I think I have to take a class to become really familiar and knowledgeable about the program, besides just reading this book.

Flashback: I did get a flashback of 2005. After I did a yr at NAIT, I took a few classes at MacEwan. One of them was a computer class where I learned Excel. I remember this assignment where the teacher gave us a choice to do 1 of 3 projects. I took the easy one and I think a lot of others did too. I wanted to be guaranteed to get a good mark. I talked to this 27 yr old woman Kristy who did the really hard one.

K: I want to do the hard one and get not as good of a mark, so then I can actually learn something. If I did the easy one, then I didn't really learn anything.

The teacher actually showed her assignment to the entire class because he was so impressed by her work. So hard work does pay off, and risk can pay off too.

Job search: I was going through my emails and I applied to be an administrative clerk at the beginning of the month at this one place. She emailed back saying she got my resume. Then 3 weeks later I actually applied again to the same place, and she said she got my resume. It must have been a different job ad or they put it up again.

Rejects: Also with the emails, I had gotten rejected from the art gallery. Not surprised because they would have called. That contact lenses place didn't call for an interview. I thought they would because it's a part-time position and more people are more interested in full-time. Unless I'm wrong, and people are willing to take what they can get.

You know that interview I did and I mentioned that I kind of had fun during it? Well I didn't get the job, but I did email back saying I'm willing to be a receptionist or work at the call centre. In the interview they did ask me what I did for fun. I said I write a blog about TV shows and movies.

Guy: What TV shows?
Me: The Mentalist, and Criminal Minds.
Guy: Oh, I love Criminal Minds.
lol.

Job interview: I did a little phone interview today for a company. I did research about the company prior to it, so I was able to tell the interviewer what I knew about them. Always do a little research about the company to impress the interviewer. Or at the very least inform yourself about the company so you can decide if you want to work for them.

TV production: Onto some good news, today a producer called me, but I wasn't home. I called back, but he wasn't there either. I told him to email me.

I read the Working section in the Edmonton Journal about a TV production company called Big Soul Productions. It's in Toronto and it's Aboriginal owned and operated company.

Dec. 1 Feeling good: After I wrote the above about my job search, I feel good. Even thought I didn't get the job, I feel good that I'm trying and working.

No comments: