Sunday, November 7, 2010

pros and cons/ flash back/ phony sentimentality

Nov. 4 Pros and cons: I got dismissed from my office job because I wasn't good at it. Here are the pros and cons of this experience.

Pros:

1. I proved to my parents and myself that I can get an office job on my own. My parents told me that I only got that last office job at the bank because of a bank employee's reference. Yeah, well nobody knows my family and me when I applied at this company. I got this job on my own merit. My parents were temporarily proud of me. lol.

2. I made a good amount of money because it paid $14/hr.

3. I felt that I really helped the company by working at the switchboard. One person was on vacation, so they were short handed. I was taking all the incoming calls as they were helping the customers.

4. The woman I was being trained with was part-time, and she wanted full-time hours. Well she got her wish because she'll probably end up taking my hours.

5. I appreciate the opportunity that the company gave me. They trained me for 5 days, and I worked there for 4 days in the office.

6. I feel good because I gave it my best shot. I arrived on time, followed the dress code, and didn't read the newspaper. When I went on breaks, I asked first. I could have gone for a hour, but I went for 30min because we were short handed.

7. The manager told me that I had a good resume. He basically said it's one thing to have a good resume, but it's another thing to actually be working there.

8. I'll throw in that I met a lot of new people.

9. I had a good work out at the "brain gym" of this job.

10. It's a good thing I didn't visit this girl Ashley who I went to college with. She worked at the mall where my company was. She would be like this:

A: So why are you here?
Me: I work at this company.

Cut to a month later when I stop by to say hi.

A: So are you still working there?
Me: No, I got dismissed.

11. I did get a much deserved break from my job search. It did make me go and pitch my script to production companies which I haven't done in months.

Con: Besides the obvious that I got dismissed.

1. I would say I am a little disappointed that I had 5 days of training and only worked 4 days in the office. I really wanted to work there for 5 days in the office to balance the amount of training I got.

Nov. 6 Fun: I went to Staples to recycle my dead batteries. I then bumped into my friend Chase who works as a janitor. He told me that it's a good time to apply to retail now for the holiday season, because it will get harder in Jan. I thought of that. That's some more motivation for me.

I went downstairs at the Stanley A. Milner library for the first time and checked out the book sale. It's really cheap, but I didn't buy anything.

License plates: I saw the following two today: LILDOBS, and MISSUS.

Nov. 7 Teen pregnancy: I was thinking about that time last summer where Angela and I were hanging out in downtown.

Me: Do you remember that teen pregnancy joke I found: "Tell all your teachers that you're pregnant, and then they will lower their expectations of you and you can skate through jr. high."
A (smiles): If I was teacher, and I found out that one of my students was pregnant, I'm not going to go easy on her. She's going to be a mom so she needs to be able to keep up with her grades and take care of a baby.

Me: But your expectations do lower. When a girl graduates out of high school, that's good. When a teen mom graduates out of high school, that's great.
A nods in agreement.
Me: 60% of teen moms don't even graduate out of high school.

People consciously or subconsciously lower their expectations when they find out a girl got pregnant as teenager.

Flashback: I got this flashback in gr. 8 of my friend Leslie ranting to me about her teacher Dr. Tranter playing favorites.

L: Dr. Tranter was passing out these Canadian flags to all the students and she purposely gave me a flag with a wrinkle in it. She's like "Here you go Leslie."

L thinks Dr. T consciously gave her a flag with a wrinkle in it. There's no proof, but L perceived it that way. However, Dr. T could subconsciously gave her the flag with a wrinkle in it. What's L to do? She rants to her friends about it. Though L could go to the principal about it.

Principal: You want me to do what exactly?
L: I want you to tell Dr. T to stop playing favorites and show some respect. While you're at it, give me a flag that doesn't have a wrinkle in it and we'll call it even.

lol. That's overreacting. L could go to Dr. T and confront her about her favoritism. Though this is what could happen.

Dr. T: I wasn't looking at the flags if there was a wrinkle in them. I passed the flags randomly to people.

Well if L could compile a list of incidents where Dr. T plays favorites, and then confront Dr. T about it. However, this is the only time where L told me about her playing favorites. At least what I could remember.

Shopping: I might as well throw in shopping as an example. Sometimes you are consciously thinking of what you're buying and subconsciously making decisions when shopping.

Phony sentimentality: I remember watching Dark Angel and Zack says to Max: "Everything else out there is a bunch of phony sentimentality." I hate phony sentimentality. Here are the examples:

News: I was reading in the newspaper about how a young woman pretended she had cancer so she get donations and make her estranged parents feel bad for her. There is actually another case of a woman doing that.

Then I thought of charities where they call me to donate to the children's hospital: "These children have more surgeries than birthdays" and that's true. You do feel sorry for them, and play on the feelings. That's true sentimentality.

Mixed feelings: I have mixed feelings for this Jamie Kennedy Experiment sketch. There's this reality talent show sketch where Jamie plays a trick on the 2 judges and the entire studio audience. J wasn't talented at all, and the audience boos and laughs at him.

J: My wife died about 6 months ago and she told me to do what makes you happy, and performing makes me happy.

The audience stops laughing and goes silent. I guess you could use this as an example to teach people a lesson. You may hate reality show contestants, but they are all real people. They all experience pain, joy, and the good and bad things in life.

Reality show: I remember seeing this Survivor clip where this guy has his friend tell him that his grandma has passed away when he was on the island. All the other contestants felt sorry for him. Then it turns out his grandma wasn't dead, he got his friend to lie about it so the other contestants would feel sorry for him.

That is phony sentimentality. Unless some of you guys want to wank it in your mind and say: "Look this is a game. If he lies to move himself forward in the game, he will." Yeah, well at least he's not scamming people out of money by lying that he has cancer.

No comments: