Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Girl Effect/ harassment/ medical

Dec. 1 The Girl Effect: I was watching Oprah today because they were talking about charities and how to help women who are suffering in the 3rd world countries. She interviewed Pullitizer Prize winner Nicholas Kristoff and his wife Sheryl Wudunn about their book Half the Sky.

To paraphrase NK: "To fight war lords, people in the UN use guns. I use little notebooks and pens." He was the journalist who originally reported about the genocide in Darfur. They showed how George Clooney learned about it, and GC and his dad went to Darfur. GC also talked to the UN about. I remember that, because in 2008, I was in Writing for the Ear class.

I had to write a speech where I compare GC's speech with Hilary Clinton's speech.

GC: I get to meet a Pullitizer Prize winner (NK) and he gets to meet a Two- Time Sexiest Man Alive.
The audience laughs.

There was this kind of weird moment in the show. The Cambodia police are demanding higher bribes from this brothel. The brothel owner realized that he can't make a profit off this anymore because of the bribes. He then turned the brothel into a grocery store. In a way, the problem kind of solved itself. The episode really moved me.

NK talks about how he bought two teen prostitutes from a brothel for $300. The next time he visited to see them, one of them has gotten married and is going to have a baby. The other one was addicted to meth because of the brothel. Days after being released, she went back. It is more complicated than opening a door.

The Girl Effect means that you have help one girl, she is able to help the entire community. If you donate some money to her, she can go to school. She can learn and be less likely to get pregnant and have kids that she can't take care of. She can buy a cow, and sell milk, and she can help her family. If 60 million girls do that to help their community, they can help the world.On Christmas Day, Oprah is going to interview a woman from Africa. The woman was mentioned in the book Half the Sky. She was living in Africa, and now she is getting her PhD and raising her 5 kids. You should check it out.

Below I have listed the links to Oprah's website and Half the Sky website. You can donate to the charities and help women and girls.

http://www.oprah.com/package/oprahshow/oprahshow/pkgregistry/20090925-tows-registry-girls-womenwww.halftheskymovement.org

News: I read in The Journal about another "Mr. Big" operation. I mentioned this months before about how the police created a fake criminal gang and we're able to recruit Dennis Cheeseman and Shawn Hennessey into it. They were then able to get them to admit to the Mayerthorpe crimes.

Today, this article mentioned about police becoming a fake criminal gang. They were able to get this other guy to confess to a murder of a 14- yr- old girl.

Writing: The "Mr. Big" story kind of inspired me. I could write about it. I just need to think how. It did make me think of Rain about how a girl is recruited back into a gang after she quit.

H1N1: Today I read the poll in 24 about how the majority polled, said they won't be getting the H1N1 shot. That's weird because I read that when the shots were about to be available the first time around, the majority said they won't be getting it. Then there are 4hr lineups. Now the high risk groups are done and the lineups aren't long.

Job search: I was reading 24 and it gave me some motivation about doing a job search now. There is less competition. You can reach hiring managers easier. People are happier because of the holiday spirit. People who look for jobs in Nov. and Dec., are more likely to get a job by Jan. There is less of a rush.

Dec. 3 Harassment: I was thinking about harassment in the workplace. If you diss a co-worker for their race, gender, or sexual orientation, then you are racist, sexist, homophobic. You could get fired for it. However, if you diss someone for getting pregnant as a teenager, then you're mean and judgmental.

You're dissing this person for making poor life choices. As for race, gender, sexual orientation, you don't choose that. Well, I'm sure you can still complain to the manager that: "So-so is dissing me for being pregnant as a teenager," and then that co-worker could get fired.

Change: I read my horoscopes yesterday and it said that change is good. I was really resistant to working 5pm-9pm. It was good, because then in the day time I managed to delete 200+ MacEwan emails and look for a job.

On Fri. night I went through my old Yahoo emails from my professional account. I then emailed all these production companies that rejected me earlier. This time around could be good. The other day I went to Capital Health to look for a job. I passed my resume there twice already. I read this one non-nursing job posting, and it did say you need some post- secondary accounting experience. I think I applied to those positions before, but still no call back.

Then I went and voted for the best Gingerbread decorated house contest there. I voted for the one that had Oreos as the fence. It seemed creative, because no one else did that. lol.

Job: Yesterday and today I worked at the Soup place from 11am-3pm. If you want to get extra cash, go work at the mall for the holidays.

Motivation: I was at Bonnie Doon mall on Mon. I saw this picture with all these cars in this garage. There was a beautiful pink sunset. It said: "Justification for Higher Education." It's pretty self- explanatory. If you go to college, you will make a lot of money to buy all these cars.

Glee: Yesterday everything else was reruns, but there was Glee, so I decided to check it out. It was very well- written and acted in this climatic scene. Mr. Shuester's wife Terry has been faking her pregnancy since the beginning of the season.

Mr. S: What were you going to do when the due date came?
T: I found a woman who didn't want to have her baby. She was going to give the baby to me and I was going to keep it.
Mr. S: What about the ultrasound?
T: That was her baby.
Mr.S: Why did you lie about it?
T: I really did think I was pregnant. I went to the doctor and he said it was hysterical pregnancy.

Medical: I actually learned what hysterical pregnancy is on Law and Order: SVU. It's where a woman thinks she's pregnant, and has these symptoms of pregnancy, even though she really isn't pregnant.

I remember seeing that on The Simpsons.

Mr. Burns: Do I have juvenile diabetes?
Dr.: Yes.
Mr. B: Hysterical pregnancy?
Dr.: Yeah, a little bit.

The first time I saw that, I thought it was a joke they made up. I didn't know it was real. Then again, I was 13. lol. Same goes for the one with Homer having night terrors. It's where someone is having a really bad nightmare, and he is is screaming and yelling in his sleep. I thought that was a joke too, but then I saw it does exist on a Dr. Phil ep.

Rant: Here's a mild rant. I don't like the fact that Muchmusic is airing the crappy TV show Secret Life of the American Teenager. I don't want our Canadian teenagers exposed to this crap. It's only been watched by American teens and that's it. MM does play good teen shows like Gossip Girl and The Vampire Diaries. They're good in my opinion. They do play One Tree Hill. I saw some of it. It's not really that good, but it's not really crappy either.

Shoplifting: Right now I'm watching CBC's Doc Zone called The Secret World of Shoplifters. They talked about shoplifting rings. Did you know that men and women shoplift equally? 25% are children. Now, I'm getting some flashbacks of working at the $1 Store.

There were a lot of shoplifters there. I talked to 2 other people who worked at $1 Stores too, and they both got a lot of shoplifters. I did do a little training in shoplifting back at Roots.

No comments: