Friday, August 7, 2009

news/ The Listener/ The Perfect Getaway

FRIDAY, AUGUST 7, 2009

news/ The Listener/ The Perfect Getaway

Aug. 5 News: I read in the news that the police caught a serial rapist who raped 4 women in one week. It all occurred in Millwoods. I know that he's 22 years old, and that he's an illegal immigrant. He met the victims on the internet. He chatted with them for a few days, and then he lured his victims to a secluded location. Oh my God.

I want all of you to know that if you're going to meet someone on the internet, you should meet them in a public place. I met 5 people through the internet, and I met them all in a public place. Don't you read these horror stories all the time in the paper and see them on TV?

I can name them all. Remember how the Edmonton filmmaker Mark Twitchell pretended to be this woman on the internet? He then lured a guy to his garage, and then he murdered him. Also the recent news of the Craigslist Killer. The guy meets this massuese, and then he killed her. They were in a hotel room. He then attacks another woman, and now he's caught.

Don't get me started on Dateline: To Catch a Predator. I remember on CNN, they covered the Craigslist Killer. The tips were to meet in a public place, bring a friend or family member with you, or at least tell them where you're going and when you'll be back.

I read in a teen magazine to meet them in a public place. I remember in jr. high computer class, they taught us to never give our names, addresses, or phone numbers out to people on the internet. Maybe these women are adults, so they weren't really in school to learn about all these safety tips. Well I'm sure adults who are parents know this so they can protect their kids.

Stupid news: Onto lighter news, here's some bad parenting for you. A Quebec father filmed his 7 yr- old son driving his SUV. Sure they drove on a empty country road, but he was 7. How come this dad can't be like all the other parents out there who will be really strict and argue with their 17 yr- old kid about driving their car?

None of the passengers were even wearing seatbelts. Stupidity. Now this is triggering all these jokes. Remember on Arrested Development, the dad Michael was driving the car, and his teen son George Michael was sitting at the front?

M: Remember when I used to have you on my lap, and you helped me steer the steering wheel?
GM: Yeah.
M: Do you think you're too old for it?
Cut to the police pulling them over.
GM is sitting on M's lap.
lol.

Look bad parenting is funny only if it's fictional and for comedy purposes. I remember all the The Simpsons kids drove a car.

Cut to Homer driving and Lisa sitting in the front.
H: When I drive, I can listen to what I want. When you drive, you can listen to what you want.
Cut to Lisa driving, and she is listening to what she wants.
H: Eh, let's switch seats.

There is also an ep where the Simpsons have to learn about team work.

Marge: I sprained my ankle, Bart can you drive?
Bart: Sure mom, but I've never driven before.
Cut to Bart putting on his driving gloves, and he can easily back the car.

Or the one where Maggie wasn't being watched by Bart, and she was driving a car.

Chief Wiggum: Oh look, a baby driving a car. And a dog driving a bus.

Aug. 6 The Listener: It was kind of interesting this ep. The character Oz mentions about the recession. It's interesting because I heard about this show in summer 2008, before the recession occurred. I don't know. Maybe they filmed the first few eps. Then the recession occurred, and they decide to work that in. Oz's parents' family restaurant is facing struggles and needs $100, 000.

Another thing that's interesting is when I was reading twop.com, and people were saying that after Toby reveals his secret to his friend Oz, Oz asks if this girl likes him. People were saying that lots of people would get Toby to play poker, and win. Then in this ep, Toby was trying to win money for Oz's restaurant. It also kind of reminds me of an ep of Dark Angel.

Max has super human strength, good eye sight, but the thing is she did help her friend Sketchy. Sketchy needed to get a lot of money really fast, so Max and her friend Original Cindy go to this gambling place. Max is able to know how fast the roulette can spin, but not sure where it will land. She did cheat in poker. She dealt all the cards, and she looked at all the cards as she was dealing it. She memorized all the cards and whom she dealt them to. That's how she was able to win.

Afterwards, she never did it again. Though she did steal a lot in the first season like from bad guys. Or that time the sector police stole her motorcycle, and then she stole it back.

Back to The Listener. The ep was in the winter. Probably shot in winter 2008 when the recession occurred. Maybe the writers knew that mentioning a recession won't seem out of date when the show actually airs next summer. These kind of financial situations last for months and longer.

The story was good. Oz is so desperate for money, he tries to solve a murder case to get the $100, 000 reward. That seems impossible, but with Toby reading minds, they could solve the mystery like they did in other eps. This man was sent to prison for killing his wife. The man puts the reward up that if anyone finds the body, he will give the reward.

After a lot of work, T and O find out that it's the man's friend who did it. The man's son was having an affair with the man's wife (his stepmom). Then the wife disappears to make it look like the man did it. The man is released from prison because he didn't kill her.

Then the man gives O the check. Then T read's the man's mind and finds out that the man ordered his friend to kill his wife. T tells O to cash the check immediately so the man can't take the money back. T then tells his cop friend Marks about it. The ep then ends like that.

Sebastian Pigott:
 He's an actor who plays the son Tyler in the ep. He had curly blond hair. He was cute. The pics on his imdb.com profile don't do him justice.

Writing: This ep totally reminded me of a script idea I had years ago. It was where this one person wants this big cash reward and tries to solve the mystery. All I got was that later the guy gets a phone call telling him to stop investigating which means he's getting close to something. But that's all I got. I didn't even a mystery figured out.

In other writing, I have been working on my script that was supposed to be Daniel Tosh, me, and my manager Aziz all working at a restaurant together. Now I have added that what if Daniel sees a psychic and she predicts everything right?

Aug. 7 The Perfect Getaway: I'm sure you've all seen commercials for this about a newlywed couple who go on an Hawaii island for their honeymoon. There is a serial killer couple, and the newlyweds have to figure out who it is. This kind of reminds me of Harper's Island mini- TV series. Except the series was 13 eps, and it was on Seattle island (really Vancouver).

In The Globe and Mail it got 3 stars, the Edmonton Journal gave it 2 stars. They both said they predicted the plot twist. I saw Steve Zahn on Conan O' Brien. SZ is in it as the newlywed guy. At first I didn't know where I've seen him from. Then I realized he was from my fave movie Shattered Glass.

I read the article with SZ, and he said: "I can usually predict the movie after reading the first 10 pages. This one, I couldn't. I didn't predict the plot twist in the second act."

No comments: