Monday, November 3, 2008

job search/ interview/ movie

Nov. 1 Job search: Tonight McDonald's in Kingsway called me today. She said that full- time people get paid $9.50/hr and part- time $8.50/hr. I remember seeing a sign by a McDonald's in Capilano and they said something about starting wage $11/hr. I turned it down.

News: I read that King of the Hill will be getting cancelled after 13 seasons. Well it's good that it lasted that long.

Nov. 2: Today I read an article in The Journal that Eminem will be releasing his memoir and later a cd. The last I heard from him was that he was overweight. He wasn't in the public eye since 2006 when he went to rehab for sleep medication and his friend Proof from D12 got shot and died.

I read in The Globe and Mail that 89% of people get their paychecks through direct deposit.

Resume:
The revised resume is good. I got the attention of Stats Canada, HMV, and McDonald's.

Blog: I was thinking about creating multiple blogs under different website addresses. I would be putting up all my same weekly emails on all my blogs. However, that would be kind of pointless. I want people to read my blog so if I put up multiple blogs, there is more chance someone will read it. For now, I will keep one blog.

Bloopers: The best thing about Youtube is that I can watch bloopers. I remember showing my friends Leslie, Angela, and John my Dark Angel and the first two seasons of Alias bloopers because I have the dvds. These are really funny.

Interview: Today I went to HMV in Kingsway to do my job interview. It was one minute long. This young guy named Earl asked questions like: "Why do you want to work here? Are you looking for part-time or full-time." The starting wage is supposedly $9.10/hr. I told him that I wanted to work at City Centre and that I gave them my resume and application too.

I went to HMV in City Centre, and there is a new holiday application. I should apply again. It's good to be persistent. I gave my resume and application to a Starbucks in downtown. They open at 5am. I got home and Clothing store #3 called me. I was given a cell phone number to call so I did and left a message.

He lost my resume, so I gave him an extra copy. I read in those job articles to always have an extra resume handy in case they needed it. Months ago when I did the job interview at Dynacor Media, I gave them an extra copy of my resume too. I read in the Careers section in The Journal that George Gromada and Terri Dorn of Dynacor are actually married. The article was about how it was good to have pets in the workplace. There was a dog there when I was in the interview.

My dad and I then had this discussion about why I'm looking for a job.
D: You can't be job- hopping.
Me: This is my 6th month at the Soup place. I only want to work for the holiday season.

I have another job interview at Clothing store #3. I've wanted to work at that store for a couple of years now. That revised resume is good. I passed out my old resume to them a few times before, but never got a call back.

Kingsway: There is a new store at Kingsway called Aeropstatle. That is an American store. It's right beside American Eagle Outfitters in the mall. Usually West Ed mall has American stores like Forever 21, Urban Outfitters, Banana Republic.

Movie: Today I saw the movie called Stick It. It was written by the writers of Bring it On. This movie is about a girl who either has to go to juvenile hall or back to practicing gymnastics. She is forced to go to gymnastics school. Really fun and entertaining movie to watch. I love the soundtrack. I like watching the sport gymnastics. Great editing. All of you should watch it.

Safety: I read in the paper today about this filmmaker has been charged for murdering a man. There are always these safety tips targeted to kids, teenagers, and women about meeting people online. The murder victim met this woman on an online dating site. He was lured into meeting her in a garage, then the filmmaker goes and ties him up to chair.

The safety tip is to meet people from the internet in a public place.

Nov. 3 Writing: Good news. I was writing for a little bit over the weekend. Then I emailed this producer again to see if he had read the script. I emailed him with it 3 weeks ago. Today he replied back saying he wants to talk about it. I shall call him tomorrow.

Today Starbucks called me today at work. This is the first time anyone has ever called for me at work, and I've been there for 6 months. He said they will pay me $9/hr. I turned it down. I felt kind of guilty. The manager and I did talk yesterday and when he calls to set up an interview, I reject him. Well it's temporary guilt.

Today before work, I did an interview with Clothing store #3. It was 5 min. long. It went well. There are 12 people up for 4 part- time positions. Starting wage $9/hr and a bonus. She will tell us what the bonus is once we're hired.

Me: Is it commission?
Boss: No, it's something else. We used to have commission a long time ago, but we got rid of it. Most of the clothes we sell are $10-$30 so you can't really make commission off it.

Progress: I always say I'm trying to cut down on TV. Here's some proof: I didn't watch the last two new episodes of Heartland, and I only saw some of two episodes of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles since the second season started. I only saw the pilot of Easy Money. Half of one episode of that. I read in the Metro that Easy Money is getting low ratings and will be on a break. Terminator got their second season renewed.

Analyze: I'm still thinking about that filmmaker acting out his script by committing murder. I think he wants to create publicity for his film. If an actual event occured like that, and then a movie came out afterwards, then people would watch it. This guy was acting out the show Dexter. That is so messed up. I watch the TV show Dexter, and I like it. I watch Criminal Minds and Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.

I will say that out of friends, family, school, or TV, TV influences me the most. When John went MIA on me, I thought about TV. How the crime TV shows solve mysteries and find people. I tried to use those techniques of canvasing the places where he would be.

No comments: