Friday, November 10, 2023

"Mattie Jackson Selecman, daughter of country star Alan Jackson, opens up about healing after her husband's sudden death"/ "Justin Bieber says he had an 'emotional breakdown' when marriage didn’t 'fix' his problems"

Oct. 27, 2021 "Mattie Jackson Selecman, daughter of country star Alan Jackson, opens up about healing after her husband's sudden death": Today I found this article by Cindy Augustine on Yahoo news.  This is a sad article, but inspirational about how Selecman is dealing with grief and taking care of herself.


The Unwind is Yahoo Life’s well-being series in which experts, influencers and celebrities share their approaches to wellness and mental health, from self-care rituals to setting healthy boundaries to the mantras that keep them afloat.

After less than a year of marriage to the love of her life, Ben Selecman, Mattie Jackson Selecman found herself a widow at age 28 when he suffered a traumatic head injury following a sudden fall in 2018. But she's determined not to let the tragedy define her. In her new book, Lemons on Friday — out Nov. 16 — the daughter of country music legend Alan Jackson details the grief process following Ben’s untimely death and reveals how she moved forward in the face of an uncertain future


“When fundamental parts of our lives are lost, when people and things we thought we’d never lose are suddenly gone, it’s natural to want answers,” writes Jackson Selecman. 


“Why did this happen? 

Who’s to blame? 

What could I have done differently? 

And for many of us in the aftermath of life-shattering change, we also want to know, where is God?”

A certified sommelier with a degree in creative writing from the University of Tennessee, Jackson Selecman opened up to Yahoo Life about 

the power of journaling, 

learning to heal 

and the importance of paying attention to mental health every single day.


Has writing this book helped you move through grief?


It was never my intention [to write a book]. The way I knew how to process sudden tragedy and grief was to write. It’s a passion of mine anyway, but there was more permission to be more honest on paper than with myself and the people around me. For a while, journaling and prayer were my two safe outlets. I took my hands off the reins and saw what came out. 


Did the book come about through your journal entries?

After my husband passed, I was gifted books on grief but it felt like a prescription that could never be cured. Those didn't seem to be what my heart wanted. I came upon a book by C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed, a memoir about losing his wife to cancer, and that was the first time that I saw other people put words [to] and thought the things I was feeling. 

It was a real empowering thing for me — it gave me relief. I thought maybe my grief and my journals could help others who are hurting, the way the C.S. Lewis book helped me. From there, I went back and looked back at the last year of journals and started working.


What’s your day-to-day approach to mental health?


Up until losing my husband, I don't think I was as nearly tuned into my mental health as I should have been. I was 28 when he passed — I was still young and had not experienced a lot of hardship — and sometimes you need to hit a speed bump to really pause. If I'm going to take inventory, what does that look like for me? 

[Ben’s death] was a catalyst for me and it forced me 

to examine the tools I have, 

know when I need to rest [and] unplug, 

or know when I have the energy to create and push forward.


Do you have any small self-care rituals to help you reset?


Definitely! If it’s a nice day, I need to be outdoors, play some music and just be in the presence of nature. For me, that’s a big part of my family’s life and it was a big part of my marriage. Being outdoors slows me down, and seeing the way nature is so reliable and cyclic, to me, is a huge reminder that there’s someone bigger than me in control. I see that a lot in nature. On a non-spiritual level, I love cooking. I realized through my grief that having a small sense of creative control — like cooking or doing a puzzle — gives me a sense of stability.


Do you have a go-to dish?

I’m a repetitive cook so I do the same handful of dishes every week. When I need new energy, I’ll try a new recipe and go to one of my cookbooks [laughs] and write a grocery list and challenge myself to do something different. It feels mentally and physically rewarding and helps me reset.


What brings you joy?


My list is long — I love flavor, I love to cook. If I pair wine with a great dish, that brings me such joy. Being outdoors and the peacefulness that's there — and music! I don't play or sing very well but even on down days, those slow ballads bring the joy back. Someone else has felt this too and this is what the feeling sounds like. And my people — they always fill me up!


What stresses you out?

I like to run efficiently, so when things get out of order or when I feel like I’m not giving my best self to a project, I have a hard time keeping a good attitude. It’s not about things being perfect; it’s about efficiency. I’ve learned to slow down, though, and that’s been hard, but it’s a rhythm that is healthier.


Well said! What’s the best advice that you carry with you?

I remember being afraid of moving into new chapters of life when I was younger. My dad told me, “Every chapter is different but no chapter is bad” — and that I carry with me. Even in the season I’m in now, which feels unfamiliar with all the question marks, even with that, I don't want to cling to the last chapter because there could be good here.

This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

Mattie Jackson Selecman, daughter of country star Alan Jackson, opens up about healing after her husband's sudden death (yahoo.com)


May 3, 2022 "Justin Bieber says he had an 'emotional breakdown' when marriage didn’t 'fix' his problems": Today I found this artcle by Kaitlin Reilly on Yahoo news:


Justin Bieber says his marriage to wife Hailey Bieber wasn't a cure-all for his mental health issues.

The "Ghost" singer, 28, who legally married the model in 2018 and celebrated their nuptials with a wedding celebration the following year, spoke to Apple Music's Ebro Darden this week, per People, about his misconceptions about what the role of husband meant.

Calling his marriage "a journey," he shared, "I remember when I first got married, I hit a little bit of an emotional breakdown because I thought marriage was going to fix all my problems and it didn't."

Calling himself a "hypocrite," he added, "You want your wife to do something that you're not doing and it's like, it's hard sometimes to look in the mirror and really have to realize, man, maybe you're not the person that you necessarily thought that you were. And that's just a result of trauma and life circumstances."

Bieber has spoken out about struggling with emotional issues before. During the early days of his rekindled romance with his now-wife, the paparazzi captured photos of Bieber crying in public with Hailey at his side. In response to a paparazzo asking about his tears, Bieber held up Tim Keller's self-help book The Meaning of Marriage and declared, "You got good days and bad days — it's not real if you don't have any bad days."

In a 2019 interview with GQ, he shared that the first year of his marriage was “really tough.”

"There was just a lack of trust," he explained. "There was all these things that you don't want to admit to the person that you're with, because it's scary."

In a 2019 Instagram post responding to fans asking him for his next album, he wrote that he was "unhappy" on his Purpose tour and that he doesn't "deserve" that, nor do his fans. The situation encouraged him to take time for his personal life.

"I have been looking, seeking, trial and error as most of us do," he said. "I am now very focused on repairing some of the deep rooted issues that I have as most of us have, so that I don't fall apart, so that I can sustain my marriage and be the father I want to be. Music is very important to me but nothing comes before my family and my health."

In November, Bieber opened up to the In Good Faith with Chelsea & Judah Smith podcast about how he is now in a better place.

"I realized there was some serious healing I needed to go through in order to get to a place where I could be in a healthy, serious relationship because I had a lot of trauma and scars," he said. "So I just committed to working on those things and getting healthy, and, luckily, Hailey accepted me as I was."

Justin Bieber says he had an 'emotional breakdown' when marriage didn’t 'fix' his problems (yahoo.com)


This week's theme is about dating: 


"How To Make Online Dating Easier"/ "The Do’s and Don’ts of Online Dating"


https://badcb.blogspot.com/2023/11/how-to-make-online-dating-easier-dos.html


"Leonardo DiCaprio's Former Girlfriend Speaks Out About 'Ageist Headlines and Comments'"/ "Orlando Bloom Was Asked How Often He And Katy Perry Have Sex...And Fully Answered"


https://badcb.blogspot.com/2023/11/leonardo-dicaprios-former-girlfriend.html


Nov. 5, 2023 Expectation vs. reality: 

At Henry's party:

Denny: There is expectation vs. reality.

What you want and imagine in your mind will not be as good as reality.

People are afraid of change even if it's a good change that they want.  I read and listen to a lot of self- development articles, audios, and videos.

You should talk it out write it out to deal with it.



Nov. 6, 2023 "This grandmother works gruelling 70-hour weeks just to pay the bills. And she's not alone": Today I found this article by Malone Mullin on CBC: 

This is Part 1 of The Grind, a new series from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador on people who are working multiple jobs to offset the rising cost of living. 


Kelly Young plucks a vacuum-sealed packet of ground beef from her fridge. For once, she has time to cook. She'll have dinner ready by the time her husband is home from a long day.

"I'll make steaks out of that," she says, pointing to the hamburger meat and smiling as if to say, it's better than nothing at all.

Wry humour — and unrelenting optimism — are helping Young survive the post-COVID economy that Newfoundlanders and Labradorians have found themselves in.

That, and a superhuman work ethic: Young is clocking 70-hour weeks to maintain her standard of living, moonlighting as a server after long days at her St. John's office, where she's an administrator for a small engineering company.

But even juggling three jobs in a two-person household, the Youngs hardly have wiggle room after the bills are paid.

"You're always kind of falling behind," Young says wearily.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/kelly-young-the-grind-1.7012745

 Roger devry

inflation tip #4 - only purchase in season fruits and vegetables

  • Reply by Russell Leon.

    And if the cost of rent left you homeless don’t buy too much at once because they are heavy to carry around

  • From the lady in question as many have found this story puzzling

    Kelly Young

    1 HR AGO

    Hello, This Is Kelly Young.

    Has anyone even read what this news story is about .

    It is about the cost of Living. Inflation. This is about how I changed my way of living.

    We make good money and have good jobs. I am 53, married, grown children and grandmother of two beautiful kids. I have a pension and investments for my retirement. This is not a pity party.

    2 older replies
    SHOW OLDER REPLIES

    • Reply by Russell Leon.

      So she only works twenty hours per week?

    • Reply by Helmut Bundaloy.

      The "pity party" was the author's intention, perhaps not lady in question's.

  • My opinion: I feel really sorry for this woman and anyone who is struggling financially.



"Alberta spends $10 million on food banks across the province": Today I found this article by Hiren Mansukhani on the Financial Post:


Alberta is investing $10 million in food banks across the province to combat growing food insecurity.

Out of the amount, 3.7 million will immediately flow to food banks across Alberta to support a rising number of clients, $4.1 million will be made available through grants and $2.2 million will be dedicated to building a program addressing the needs of food banks during emergencies, Seniors, Community and Social Services Minister Jason Nixon said at a news conference Monday.



"Tim Hortons announces first-ever national Holiday Smile Cookie campaign with 100% of proceeds donated to local charities and community groups, including Tim Hortons Foundation Camps": Today I found this article on Newswire.  I like this because it's about raising money for charity:


From Nov. 13 to Nov. 19, Tim Hortons is kicking off the holiday season with smiles and kindness with its first ever national Holiday Smile Cookie campaign, where 100 per cent of proceeds are donated to local charities and community groups across Canada, including Tim Hortons Foundation Camps.

"For over 25 years, our guests have enjoyed rallying with us during every Smile Cookie campaign to raise important funds for charities and community groups close to home," says Hope Bagozzi, Chief Marketing Officer at Tim Hortons.

"We decided there's no better time than the holiday season to continue this tradition in a new way and we're excited that Holiday Smile Cookies will also support Tim Hortons Foundation Camps, which since 1974 has supported over 315,000 youth at its seven Tims CampsWe know our guests across Canada will be thrilled to help us support the spirit of kindness this holiday season."



Nov. 7, 2023 "Quebec finance minister unveils plan to address hunger, homelessness and climate change": Today I found this article by Holly Cabrera on CBC.  I like tis because it's about helping people:

Food banks

With food banks pleading for help given a growing clientele, Quebec will provide five food organizations with a one-time targeted injection of $20.8 million to help. The funding will be distributed to:

  • $10 million for the Food Banks of Quebec network.
  • $5 million for the Breakfast Club of Canada.
  • $2 million for the TablĂ©e des chefs.
  • $2 million for the Fondation Olo.
  • $1.8 million for La Cantine pour tous.



"Feds unlock public properties to build homes, say 29,200 units to be built by 2029":Today I found this article by Nojoud Al Mallees on BNN Bloomberg:

As the federal government faces mounting pressure to address a national housing crisis, it announced on Tuesday that it would build more than 2,800 homes on its properties in cities across the country.

The latest announcement, which also comes as Liberals face a major dip in the polls, puts the government on track to build about 29,200 homes on public lands by 2029. 

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos also said on Tuesday the Canada Lands Corp. is setting a new target to include at least 20 per cent affordable housing across its projects.

"This will mean around 5,300 affordable homes in the next five years, which is twice as many as in the last 30 years," Duclos said at a news conference in Ottawa.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/feds-unlock-public-properties-to-build-homes-say-29-200-units-to-be-built-by-2029-1.1995195



"Rogers launches mobile plans for low-income Canadians": Today I found this article by Denise Paglinawan on the Financial Post

Rogers Communications Inc. in unveiling a new mobile plan for low-income Canadians that it says will make 5G wireless services more accessible for eligible customers, one of several undertakings the company agreed to when it received the federal government’s approval for its acquisition of Shaw Communications Inc. earlier this year.

The program, launched on Nov. 7, offers a no-cost smartphone device with a 5G mobile plan for $25 a month on a two-year agreement, and joins already existing programs of standalone internet and TV bundles for low-income earners.

Cost is a major reason why one in 10 Canadians doesn’t carry a mobile phone, said Phil Hartling, president of Rogers’ wireless division.

“We’re focused on those low-income Canadians who want to be part of the 5G world, but so far haven’t been able to join because of the cost,” Hartling said. “We think this program addresses that.”

The plan includes three gigabytes of 5G data and either a Samsung Galaxy A14 or Motorola G 5G, which cost over $350 by themselves, at no-cost for a 24-month term. At the end of the two-year term, the customer owns the phone.

There will be no overage charges and the program allows for two phones and four mobile plans per recipient family, Rogers said. Customers who already have a 5G-enabled device can use their own phone with the plan, it added.




Nov. 9, 2023 "Is that snack chocolate or 'chocolatey'? How skimpflation might be affecting your groceries": Today I found this article by Sophia Harris on CBC:

Daniel NoĂ«l of Sherbrooke, Que., stopped snacking on Quaker Dipps granola bars last year after he took a bite and noticed something was up. 

The bar tasted "very old," NoĂ«l, 51, told CBC News in an email. "I first thought that the product was way over its expiration date." 

It wasn't. So NoĂ«l compared the ingredient list on the bar's box with older packaging and made a discovery: the Dipps bars' previous milk chocolate coating, made with cocoa butter, had been replaced with a "chocolatey coating" made with a typically cheaper fat — palm oil

"I feel that I've been fooled," said Noël. "It's not the same product. It's not the same taste."

You've probably heard about shrinkflation: when manufacturers shrink a product, but not its price

But you may be less acquainted with skimpflation: when companies swap out ingredients in food products for cheaper ones — also without lowering the price. 



Nov. 8, 2023 "National Bank first among Canada's Big Six to stop offering new safety deposit boxes": Today I found this article on the Financial Post:

MONTREAL — National Bank of Canada won’t offer any more new safety deposit boxes, which allow customers to keep valuable items or important documents at bank branches. It’s the first large Canadian bank to stop offering this service.


At National Bank, the annual fees for an existing safety box vary between $60 and $300, depending on size.


No comments: