Saturday, November 4, 2023

I have been found guilty of “helping with an abortion” (Amnesty International)

 Nov. 4, 2023: Please sign this petition:

Dear Tracy,

My name is Justyna, and I’m from Poland. I am writing to ask for your help to overturn my conviction. I wanted to help others in my country make informed decisions about their reproductive rights. But now I have been found guilty of “helping with an abortion”, which sets a dangerous precedent.

Will you take action to ensure that my unjust conviction is overturned? Amnesty’s simple tool will send your letter directly to the prosecutor general.

Poland has some of the most restrictive abortion laws in Europe. Some years ago, when I tried to access an abortion myself, I had no support or access to reliable information. This experience led me to co-found Women on the Net and Abortion Dream Team, organizations which offer advice on accessing safe abortions and campaign against abortion stigma.

In 2020, I heard about a woman who was pregnant and in an abusive relationship. Desperate, she said she would rather die than continue the pregnancy. As a survivor of a violent relationship myself, I knew I had to help, and sent her my abortion pills through the post. However, her partner intercepted the package and contacted the police, who then took the woman in for questioning.

Following this, the prosecutor general brought charges against me and in March, I was convicted. My lawyers and I are appealing this conviction.

TAKE ACTION FOR JUSTYNA

I was driven by the will to help when no one else wanted to or could. For me, helping was the obvious, humane, and honest thing to do, but in my country helping someone access an abortion outside the two remaining legal grounds is a crime.

My conviction will make access to safe abortions even harder. Will you take action today to seek justice and demand action against this dangerous precedent?

Your words can really make a difference, for me and anyone seeking safe access to abortion in Poland and around the world.

Please, take action today to help me demand the prosecutor general ensures my unjust conviction is overturned.

Thank you,

Justyna Wydrzyńska

No comments: