Friday, June 2, 2023

job interviews/ Forge Your Own Trail by Rebekah Bastian

May 15, 2023 Job interviews: I'm going to write about some old job interviews I attended.


Korean food truck: I went on an interview in May 2019.

Pros: 

1. This was a seasonal job like May - Oct. Mon.- Fri. 11am-2pm.

2. The pay is $15/hr.  $5 tips a day.

3. The discount is a free meal for a 4hr shift.

4. I can do the job by taking cashing, taking orders.

Cons:

1. It can get very busy.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.


A sandwich chain restaurant: I went on an interview in May 2019.

Pros:

1. There were good hours 20-40 hrs a week.

2. The pay is $15/hr.  Tips daily.

3. I can do the job by taking cashing, taking orders, making the sandwiches.

4. A bus and an LRT to get there.

Cons:

1. None.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.


Casual full- service restaurant: I went on an interview in May 2019.

1. The hours would be part- time to full- time.

2. The pay is $15/ hr.  The tips would be $2-4/hr.

3. The discount on a free meal for a 5hr shift.

4. 2 buses and an hr to get there.

Cons:

1. As I write about it now, and with my experience: this job seems kind of hard to be a cook.

My opinion: I would work there  if I got hired, but I probably wouldn't be good at it.


Simple Water Services: I got a call from them in May 2019.  I wouldn't call this a job interview because the man told me about the job.  I needed to have a driver's license and a car to drive around to see the clients.

I found the Facebook page and I clicked on the link 

https://www.facebook.com/simplewaterservices1234/

When I clicked on the link to the official company site, it lead to this:

http://capitalwaterandair.com/?fbclid=IwAR3H4kr6DJK227cN0aeAPbRm6lBRoYBNztLb_9Bg_2Uf907fvLDRMqvyy24


Dental office: I went to this interview in May 2019:

Pros: 

1. Full- time and permanent.

2. The duties are check voicemails, emails.

I would have to learn dental terminology and Dentrix.

3. I don't know how much they paid.  If they paid $15/ hr, that's fine.

4. 2 buses to get there.

Cons:

1. It may be too hard for me.  There is a lot to learn with dental terminology.  I am willing to learn.

My opinion: I would work there.


Here are the other 2 blog posts of the week:


"I Joined The Workforce During COVID And Now I Out-Earn My Husband"/ "More women are household breadwinners, changing the conversation on finances"


http://badcb.blogspot.com/2023/06/i-joined-workforce-during-covid-and-now.html



"First female bank CEO in Canada leads with younger self in mind" (Rania Llewellyn)/ "Margaret Franklin on rebranding finance as a career for women"




My week:



May 26, 2023 "Canadian burn survivor's 40-shade foundation line gets picked up by beauty giant Sephora": Today I found this article by Sophia Harris on CBC.  This is an inspirational story:

Basma Hameed is living her childhood dream to create her own cosmetics. She has developed a 40-shade foundation called Basma — now selling online and soon to be available in stores at beauty giant Sephora.

"It's still hard to believe, but it's incredible," Hameed, 36, said about her success. "You don't [expect] somebody who's a burn survivor to launch a beauty brand."

When she was two years old, living in her native country of Iraq, Hameed was burned by hot oil in a kitchen accident — leaving permanent scars on part of her face that made her a target for bullies.

Hameed started experimenting with foundation at the age of six to camouflage her scars, but she said the products available were too heavy and didn't blend well with her skin.

"I had a lot of discoloration in my burn. I always struggled, even finding my shade," she said. "I felt like I wasn't being represented by any of the beauty brands."

Until recently, many foundations offered limited shade ranges that failed to recognize their diverse customer base.

"I promised myself that one day I'll have my own beauty brand, where everybody feels accepted," Hameed said.

Her family immigrated to Toronto when she was nine. As a young adult, Hameed established a successful career in scar camouflage, a technique where scars are tattooed over with flesh-coloured ink.


There are 20 comments and they're all positive:


  1. Yikes, that burn looks terrifying! Poor little punkin, it must have been so painful.

    • I worked with a few burn victims.

      Some of the bravest most admirable people I've ever met.

      • Good on you but there will always be issues after all people are who they are, good for addressing the issue right away to bad the rest of the buisness world doesn't react as fast.

        • Congratulations… we need more entrepreneurs

          • so inspiring..overcoming adversity and using that information to help others! wow so well done. good luck!!

            • Great story, and timely. Ranges of colours have actually been available for decades, but they were very compartmentalized around the globe (i.e. appropriate shade ranges in Asian countries, in African countries, in Latin American countries, etc). In Europe and North America that meant women needing to travel to ethnic communities within large cities to find the independent beauty shops that imported the shades they could use. Kudos to Basma and other small brands for seizing the opportunity that has existed for too long at major cosmetics retailers right across the continent, in big cities and small. 👍👍🏽👍🏻👍🏿

              • Beautiful, strong and brave woman. Well done Ms. Hameed.

                • Congratulations Basma! I completely understand the need for cosmetics for people who want to cover up scars. However I wonder at the need for others with normal skin to cake makeup on with a putty knife. Embrace your natural beauty!

                  • That’s great. Good for this hard working Canadian entrepreneur.

                    • Well done!

                      • Fantastic!

                        • Wow .... I am so happy to hear about this. I'm sure there are a lot of people who suffered burn scars that this will help. Basma, it takes a very special person to not only rise above the ignorance (of others insults), but to also find a solution that can be a benefit to so many others. Your star is shining.... and shining brightly to lead and help others.

                          • Awesome! I wish her business success!

                            • Good for her! I hope it is a huge success.

                              • Impressive!

                                • To see a woman , who’s endured so much and make it to the other side , is resilient at its finest. As children, we all gain scars , and sometimes we carry those into Adulthood. However, what you have done as a brand with your clinic and then to be in Sephora, is beyond amazing. You are a shining light Basma , and you’ve given others permission to move past their scars and shine too.

                                  • I wish her the very best in her future

                                    • What a great success story and further showing her investment in her company and branding by developing more shades based on feedback and really standing behind making the product fully inclusive, people like it when companies do that. I will definitely be looking at this product for a next event (i dont wear makeup except on super special occasions and even then, begrudgingly, i dont look good in it but i digress) Congratulations!

                                      • I wish Basma continued success!

                                        • Now that's a sad story she turned into something good, wonderful woman.




                                        May 30, 2023 "Smith faces a slew of financial challenges in Alberta after election victory": Today I found this article by Kyle Bakx on CBC.  The United Conservatives party won.  I'm kind of neutral with the results.  Danielle Smith was going to privatize healthcare and we have to pay for doctor visits.  

                                        We should get universal healthcare and we pay through taxes.





                                        "Graduating this year? Here's what you need to know about repaying your student loans": Today I found this article by Aloysius Wong on CBC:


                                        Canada eliminated interest for federal student loans, but some provinces charge


                                        The Canadian government eliminated interest on Canada Student Loans and Canada Apprentice Loans this April, indefinitely continuing the interest-free status of federal loans first introduced in April 2021. ESDC says this change will save 1.2 million post-secondary graduates an average of $520 each year.


                                        "I was honestly very happy to hear about it," said Daniel Oeyangen, an account manager for The Knowledge Academy in Toronto, who graduated from the DeGroote School of Business at McMaster University in 2022. 

                                        "You don't really see a difference right away," he said, "but it does make a difference over time for sure."



                                        "Shopify faces class action over severance offered to recently laid off staff": Today I found this article by Tara Deschamps on BNN Bloomberg:

                                        A class-action lawsuit alleges Shopify Inc. reneged on a deal it offered some employees who were laid off in a recent round of cuts.

                                        The class action alleges some of the Ottawa software business' employees laid off at the start of May were presented with departure packages outlining hefty severance sums they would be entitled to should they sign the agreement within a few days.

                                        However, once workers signed the agreements and before the deadline passed, Shopify allegedly told departing staff they would instead be given substantially smaller sums than were initially offered.

                                        "The individuals did the reasonable thing, which is to accept, only to be told even though we made you reasonable offers, even though you accepted that reasonable offer, we're just not going to do it and you have to sign a brand new agreement for a much lesser amount,” said Lior Samfiru, a lawyer pursuing the case.

                                        “It just doesn’t work like that. I review severance packages every day and have 21 years of doing this and I have never seen any employer ever do anything like that.”


                                        The class action's plaintiff Iain Russell, who worked for Shopify for seven years, says he was initially offered more than $88,000, which he accepted. Then, Shopify allegedly put forward a roughly $44,000 agreement. If he did not accept the $44,000 offer, he was told he would receive about $36,000.




                                        My opinion: Shopify is terrible to do that to their employees.  At least the employees got a lawyer to get their pay.



                                        May 29, 2023 Asian fast food chain job interview: It was kind of crazy this morning.  I had emailed them to ask where the interview was.  I then go through the email and found the address.  I attend the interview by taxi, and tried to pay with a Visa gift card and it didn't go through.  I paid by credit card.

                                        The interview was average.  I then called the taxi and was dropped off at a mall so I can take the bus, and save money.  I was able to pay with my Visa gift card.

                                        May 30, 2023 Call centre sales rep job interview: This was a phone interview.  The boss told me the job is 100% commission which I don't want.

                                        May 31, 2023 Construction company job interview: There was this computer task and it was hard.  I wasn't really interested once I got more info about the job. 


                                        Forge Your Own Trail: I found this on Meetup and there was a a webinar that I attended:

                                        Rebekah Bastian is an entrepreneur, award-winning author, artist, tech executive, mentor, wife, mother and aerial acrobat. After spending 15 years at Zillow, with roles including VP of Product and VP of Community & Culture, Rebekah started OwnTrail to help people embrace their nonlinear journeys, see what other’s paths really look like (spoiler alert: they’re so much more interesting than what’s on LinkedIn!) and help each other make progress towards their aspirations. You can check out her trail as an example.

                                        In line with this theme, Rebekah published her first (gold medal IPPY award-winning) book, Blaze Your Own Trail, in February 2020 with Berrett-Koehler Publishers.

                                        Rebekah serves on the boards of Bellwether HousingOG Collective and JPEG Morgan, founded the AuthenTech and The Time is DAO communities, and is an investor and advisor to technology startups. She writes articles in multiple publications including Forbes.com and is a frequent speaker at conferences and community events. She has been recognized in the Puget Sound Business Journal 40 Under 40, the Inman 33 People Changing the Real Estate Industry and the Female Founders Alliance Champion Awards. Rebekah earned her Masters of Mechanical Engineering from UC Berkeley and Bachelors of Mechanical Engineering from the University of Washington.




                                        No comments: