Friday, February 17, 2023

Post Secret- Valentine's Day (Part 3)/ Post Secret (Part 22)

I'm posting this in honor of Valentine's Day on Feb. 14.


Feb. 12, 2023 Valentine's Day Secrets:






—Email—
Dear Frank
,

Attached is a text message I sent to my husband tonight. This is something I’ve never told anyone, and though it might seem silly, I am feeling so relieved as if the elephant that was stomping on my chest with this memory is a little bit lighter. The first line is in Spanish and translates to: I always hated that damned school.

Siempre odie la maldita escuela… Every Valentine’s Day in Elementary school, we had a class party and handed out Valentine’s cards and goodies. If you brought something to hand out, you HAD to bring one for everyone. Each year it was the same… I always got the ugly cards with mean messages or disgusting animals that “resembled” who I was. In the fourth grade, I was nine years old, and still loved Timon & Pumba, these were the cartoons I really liked at the time. So I begged my mom to buy me the cards, it was about $3 for a pack of 24 at Carl’s pharmacy. It was just the cards, no treat, or stickers. So when I brought the cards in and was handing them out, I was made fun of because they were stupid and I’d only given them a piece of paper. When I returned to my desk, and eagerly looked through my little bag, I saw hurtful cards. One will always stick out; The girls who thought they were all that, had all chosen to give me cards that had pigs on them, because that’s what I reminded them of. I can’t tell you how much it broke my heart, and it still does to this day. ( I have tears in my eyes writing this). From then on I decided to never hand anything out, and said that I’d forever hate Valentine’s Day. When this day rolls around, it feels like I live in that moment once again. And then I see how sweet and loving and kind my girls are, and my heart melts. I love how excited they get to decorate their Valentine’s mailbox and getting to choose their cards and treats; They do it so careful and are thoughtful. So maybe when I make my Valentine’s for them, I am also trying to heal that very tiny bit of myself.

When I was 21 (late 1970s), I was in a bar in Detroit a week or so before Valentine’s Day. I struck up a conversation with a nice young lady. We both said we were unattached at that time, so we didn’t anticipate getting any Valentines. We exchanged addresses and promised to send each other a Valentine. And we both did it.

—Email—
Dear Frank,

What an incredible outpouring of love and kindness! I’ve been bawling my eyes out since receiving your email and reading the all the comments from my post. There are so many gentle and beautiful souls, and I’ve loved reading their memories and stories they’ve shared. 

I can only imagine the amount of mail and messages you receive daily, and I truly appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. 

There is a long journey of healing ahead of me, and though some are small steps, I believe they do make a difference. 

My opinion: I feel sorry for the letter writer.  She could tell the teacher and show the cards from those mean girls.  The teacher can tell them to not be so mean. 

In elementary school was the only time we handed out Valentine Day cards to all my classmates.  The students only give out cards.

The treats and candy were mainly provided from the teacher.










Valentine’s Day Exhibition Now Open!


The Second Exhibit in the Postsecret Digital Museum of Secrets Opens Today! See dozens of passionate, sweet, erotic, poignant, romantic secrets, watch a classic PostSecret video, and listen to special voicemails people have been saving on their phones from loved ones. >>> Visit Now.




To listen to Cherished Voicemails shared by community members, or to upload your own, use this link and scroll to the bottom of the page.



Here are the other 2 blog posts:

Post Secret- Valentine's Day (Part 1)/ Post Secret (Part 20)


Tracy's blog: Post Secret- Valentine's Day (Part 1)/ Post Secret (Part 20) (badcb.blogspot.com)


Post Secret- Valentine's Day (Part 2)/ Post Secret (Part 21)




My week:


Feb. 10, 2023 Hexagon Board Game Cafe: I went there with my Personality Meetup group friends.  I haven't hung out with them in a couple of months.  Kevin Z, Tyler, Anne, Shiya, and I were there.  It costs $4 an hour per person to sit and play a game.  You are to order a small food or drink when you're there.  However, they weren't that strict.  We were there from 7-10pm.


We played this.  This was an average game:

Century: Spice Road is the first in a series of games that explores the history of each century with spice-trading as the theme for the first installment. In Century: Spice Road, players are caravan leaders who travel the famed silk road to deliver spices to the far reaches of the continent for fame and glory. Each turn, players perform one of four actions:

  • Establish a trade route (by taking a market card)
  • Make a trade or harvest spices (by playing a card from hand)
  • Fulfill a demand (by meeting a victory point card's requirements and claiming it)
  • Rest (by taking back into your hand all of the cards you've played)

The last round is triggered once a player has claimed their fifth victory point card, then whoever has the most victory points wins.


I looked up "board game cafe Edmonton" and there are 3 of them in total:

Table Top Cafe: I have been to the Table Top Cafe on 124 St. back in 2020.  It has now closed down.  There is another location. I haven't been to the 75 St. location:


Board N Brew: I haven't been to this one.



"Bed Bath & Beyond Canada going out of business, closing 54 stores": Today I found this article on CBC.  The store sells furniture, home appliances, home decor, and snack food: 

Bed Bath & Beyond's Canadian operations are going out of business, according to a court filing on Friday, two days after the retailer quickly raised cash to stave off a U.S. bankruptcy.

The Canadian division, which operates 54 Bed Bath & Beyond stores and 11 buybuy BABY stores, is insolvent, the filing posted on the website of consultancy Alvarez & Marsal showed. Alvarez & Marsal has been appointed as a monitor of the business in the Canadian court case.

Bed Bath & Beyond Canada going out of business, closing 54 stores | CBC News

Feb. 12, 2023 "Watch Ben Affleck and Wife Jennifer Lopez Star in Hilarious Dunkin' Donuts Super Bowl Ad": This is a funny ad:


Watch Ben Affleck & Jennifer Lopez In Dunkin' Donuts Super Bowl Ad - E! Online - CA (eonline.com)


Feb. 13, 2023 "Rihanna Did Not Get Paid for Jaw-Dropping Super Bowl Halftime Show — Here's Why": Today I found this article by Rachel Desantis on People:

"We do not pay the artists," an NFL spokesperson told Forbes in 2016. "We cover expenses and production costs."

Why Rihanna and Other Super Bowl Halftime Show Performers Don't Get Paid (people.com)


My opinion: I thought the performance was good with all the hip- hop dancing.  Rihanna and her other dancers were put on floating stages.  There was also fireworks at the end.

This performance was as good as the Weeknd performance in 2021 and Katy Perry's performance in 2015. 


Valentine's Day chocolates: My friend/ old- coworker Krista put this on her Facebook.  My friend Cham and my old classmate Neil liked it.

 



Feb. 15, 2023 "
Michael Jordan donates $10M to Make-A-Wish for 60th birthday":
Today I found this article on Yahoo:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Six-time NBA champion Michael Jordan is celebrating his 60th birthday on Friday by making a $10 million donation to Make-A-Wish.

It is the largest donation ever received from an individual in the organization’s 43-year history.

Jordan’s hope is that his decision to celebrate his birthday by donating to Make-A-Wish will inspire others to help fulfill the wishes of the kids still waiting for their wishes to come true.

“For the past 34 years, it’s been an honor to partner with Make-A-Wish and help bring a smile and happiness to so many kids,” Jordan said in a news release. “Witnessing their strength and resilience during such a tough time in their lives has truly been an inspiration.”

Jordan, now the owner of the NBA’s Charlotte Hornets, first supported Make-A-Wish in 1989.

He has granted hundreds of wishes to children all over the world and remains one of the most requested celebrity wish-granters. He was named Make-A-Wish Chief Wish Ambassador in 2008 for what the organization called the “life-changing impacts he has had on wish kids and their families.”

“I can’t think of a better birthday gift than seeing others join me in supporting Make-A-Wish so that every child can experience the magic of having their wish come true,” Jordan said.



NWST Charitable Foundation:

"We are registered federally as a not for profit corporation. We have applied to CRA to become charitable. Our business no is 706146404RR0001. Once we are registered with CRA information will be displayed here.

We all know that Earth is the only planet that has life on it. As of now, it is clear that this planet has been a gift for us humans and other living things that have all the facilities we need, naturally. From air to water to food, everything is provided to us by Earth and thus we call it Mother Earth.

 

From the earliest hunting age to the current technological age, man has had a definite impact on the environment. He had been exploiting natural resources to achieve economic growth. Without plans to replenish them, it has caused serious damage to Earth such as global warming, biodiversity loss, plastic pollution, air pollution, deforestation etc.

To reduce some of these wrongdoings of Mankind, ‘NWST Charitable Foundation’ is born. Our goal is to plant as many trees as possible around Canada first and later on, around the rest of the World."




It's from this ep:

No comments: