Friday, January 15, 2021

Post Secret (Part 6)/ Earth Group/ "Chinese beauty advert depicting woman narrowly avoiding sexual assault pulled amid backlash"

1.happystpatricksday
   

Mar. 13, 2016:

[note along with letter]
11 years ago, my senior year at high school, someone gave this to me at lunch. In the 13 years I spent sitting alone at lunchtime at school, it was the only time anyone ever asked me to join them. I never had the courage to speak to him, but it helped me realized that my life could be different and remains the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me.

prince
screen-shot-2016-11-26-at-6-52-56-pm
prince
12
fireflyers

Dec. 17, 2016:


3-target

10-secretsanta

15-secret
pc

—–email—–
I wanted to share something with you Frank, In May 2010, there was a secret posted that always stuck with me. The secret said “J’ai si peur” which translates to, “I am so afraid.” It wasn’t so much the secret itself, but a reply that came to the secret. “Moi aussi. Vous n’êtes pas seul” Which translates to, “Me too. You are not alone” It came right at a time I needed it, and it changed the course of my life.

I decided to not be afraid. Over 6 years later and I’ve done more than I thought possible. However, since the beginning of November everything I’ve worked for feels like it is unraveling. I decided I needed that reminder again. The reminder that I am not alone, so I got “pas seul” tattooed where you check for your pulse. As long as my heart is beating I am not alone – there are others who can help me. Thank you for what you do. When I think of the lives you’ve with hope and determination. So thank you, thank you.

fiveyeargift

1stchristmas

dreams

free

gettheax

gum

santa

snowman

Dec. 25, 2016:

2-snow

10-christmaspast


2

cuteshoes

ex

littlestronger

nose

prozac

sunshine
tresanos

My opinion: Living well is the best revenge.


There isn't a theme this week, but here are the 2 other blog posts:


"Don't let divorce derail a career"/ "Getting divorced? Your business may be a moving target"




"How employees can- and must- protect intellectual property"/ "Of flywheels and Doom Loop" (leadership)




My week: 


Jan. 9, 2020 Restaurants that closed down: I was looking through Edmonton Made.com and I checked the restaurants that are listed, and are closed:

1. Table Top Cafe (the one on 124 St).
2. Wildflower Grill
3. The Holy Roller
4. Curry Vibes

The Earth Group: I found this through Edmonton Made:

The Earth Group is a social enterprise and B Corp that exists entirely to provide food, water, and education to children globally.  We do this in a partnership with the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) by funding school meal programmes globally.  To date we’ve funded nearly 4 million school meals for children.

We believe it’s more important how you spend your dollars than how you vote, and we’ve created a vehicle to affect positive change in the world simply through your every day purchases.



Kori Chilibeck and Matt Moreau met in 2005 while working in Skiers Sportshop, in Edmonton, Canada. Through extensive travel their eyes were opened to the dire circumstances in which a large percentage of the world lives. This gave them both the sense of responsibility to do what they can to create positive change in the lives of people who need it most.

The Earth Group was certified as a B Corporation by the non-profit B Lab. This certification means that we meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability and transparency.




Ohana Donuts: In the afternoon, my friend Cham picked me up and we went here.  You have to order your donuts online first and pick up.  She went in there.

I then went to McDonald's on the same block and redeemed my coupon of 6 mini donuts for $3.99.  (Reg. price is $4.99).  They taste good.  

However, something about Cham's order didn't go through so she didn't get donuts.  We drove to a Chinese restaurant by my place and she got lunch.  She ate the lunch in my dining room.

We watched The Simpsons ep "101 Mitigations."




Jan. 10, 2020 "Boy's lung collapsed after he inhaled a popcorn kernel leading to a life-saving discovery": I found this by Marie Claire Dorking on Yahoo:

A schoolboy suffered a collapsed lung after choking on a piece of popcorn, but the incident led doctors to discover he had a heart condition that required a life-saving operation to correct.

Jordy Gordon from Fort William, Scotland, was just two years old when he choked on the snack and unknowingly inhaled a kernel, which obstructed his airways.

His mum Shona Macgillivray, 35, took him to hospital because he couldn't stop coughing, mistakenly suspecting he had a chest infection.

But scans revealed the tiny piece of popcorn had caused one of Jordy’s lungs to completely collapse and he was kept in for treatment.

A follow-up scan to check his lung function revealed Jordy also had a potentially-fatal heart condition: his pulmonary veins were in the wrong place.

Doctors revealed Jordy wasn’t getting enough oxygen and would need open heart surgery.

After undergoing a 12-hour operation to reposition the veins Jordy, now seven, is completely healthy, but his mum believes the heart condition would never have been discovered if her son hadn't inhaled the popcorn kernel.

“I now think of that popcorn as both a blessing and a curse, as it showed us what was wrong,” the early years practitioner explains.

Boy's lung collapsed after he inhaled a popcorn kernel leading to a life-saving discovery (yahoo.com)

Jan. 12, 2020 Leo surveys: Question of the day:


Alain Chalifour from Les Cèdres, QC, would like to know:

Are you confident that life will return to normal in 2021?


No: 70.69% (2039)


I don't know: 15.98% (461)


Yes: 13.34% (385)


My opinion: I said yes, but as normal as it could be.  I predict there will still be restrictions 

on travel, restaurants and stores opening, but not as much.


Last week there was a question about: "Do you think 2021 will be better, the same, or worse than 2020?"


I was like a little more improvement.  70% said "the same as last year."


"'An insult to women': Chinese beauty advert depicting woman narrowly avoiding sexual assault pulled amid backlash": I found this article by Elizabeth Di Fillipo on Yahoo.  Here is an excerpt.  I copied and pasted the article and will write about this in-depth later:


A controversial commercial for makeup wipes has been pulled amid allegations that it victim blames survivors of sexual assault.

Purcotton, a Chinese company that manufactures makeup removing wipes, recently released a new commercial which features a young woman attempting to defend herself against pending assault by removing her makeup.

In the commercial, a young woman nervously walks down the street at night while a man wearing a ball cap and face mask walks behind her. The woman begins to panic as the man gets closer while ominous music plays in the background. The woman then reaches into her bag to reveal a package of Purcotton makeup wipes and begins wiping her face. As the masked assailant touches the woman’s shoulder, the audience now sees that without her makeup, the woman is now portrayed by a male actor, dressed in the same clothes.

“The brand's main audience is women, but it still uses women's fear as a selling point and promotes victim-blaming,” another said of the company’s egregious misstep.

China’s Women’s News condemned the advertisement for “demonizing the victim” and noted that Purcotton’s video objectified women by inferring that a woman’s appearance somehow invites sexual assault.

My opinion: I was very offended by this.  I was surprised this is from a Chinese makeup company.  I would get if this was from a Tosh.O sketch because those shows are trying to be funny and offensive.  Purcotton is seriously trying to sell makeup removing wipes by using sexual assault as a storyline?

 Jan. 11, 2020 Discovering Your Soul's Plan & Purpose - 4 Common Elements:

1. Learn
2. Healing
3. Growth
4. Contribution
Bernadette Logue
Transformation Life Coach, Author &
Leader of The Daily Positive
If you click on Video 2, there is a good download where they ask deep and meaningful questions:

No comments: