Friday, March 1, 2024

"At high school, to stream is to kill a dream" (low classes)/ Tracy's high school years (Part 1)

This blog post is to prove myself and show my work and self- awareness.
This is the Cole's Notes version of being a teen and struggling academically in high school:

Aug. 2, 2020 "At high school, to stream is to kill a dream": Today I found this article by Leslie Gaval in the Star Metro.  I subscribe to them in my email, though I sometimes don't get to access the whole article because I'm not a paid subscriber.  This article got me angry, you can read my comment below:

I have a daughter, Tess, who is both bright and privileged, yet while in school she was also rebellious and oppositional. In Grade 10 she was streamed into applied courses — did teachers think they would put her in her place?
“I was put in the worst classes that wouldn’t get me into university, so why would I bother […] when it wouldn’t help me in the future?” Tess told me. Placement in applied math made her livid, and as a consequence she dropped out. She’s always had a great brain for math, however, and she is now an accountant.
Not in this lifetime did I think I would be applauding Doug Ford, but there you go — 2020 has been most peculiar. Ford has called a halt to high school streaming. I’m writing this for those who still aren’t convinced that this is the right move, including Jason Kenney in Alberta, where there is a labyrinth of high school “pathways.”
Streaming has been practiced in Canada for over a century. It was first conceived of to address a social problem that no longer requires a solution, if it ever did. Secondary schools were finding it difficult to assimilate the increasing racial, linguistic, and cultural diversity of the student population.
The theory held by the government and administrators was that children born to lower classes and recent immigrants were best suited to manual work, unlike children of longer established Canadian families, who were assumed to be literate and most suited to intellectual work.
Today, streaming is articulated something like this: a broader range of academic levels enables schools to meet the needs of all students, and keep more kids in school longer. 
The most academically inclined are encouraged to take the level of course that best meets their needs. Students learn better and develop more positive attitudes when placed with others like themselves.
On the surface this sounds so logical and reasonable, but a closer look reveals a good example of language standing in for reality. The research flies in the face of this tidy explanation.

Streaming causes students in “applied” classes (read: dummy/dead-end classes) to drop out at a much higher rate than students in “academic” classes (read: compliant by school standards). 
The research bares out that students in applied classes 
feel marginalized by peers and teachers; 
the classroom atmosphere is both more negative and authoritarian; 
the school work is more rote.
Once locked into a particular stream, it’s hard to move out of it.

It's also worth noting that the sorting of students is a wildly subjective process with great potential for discrimination against poor, Black, and Indigenous students.

Through my own experience, that of my children, and writing about education issues for years, I know only one thing for sure. 

Students don’t want school work to be easy; 

they want it to be meaningful. 

Therein lies the challenge.

Leslie Gavel is the author of “Dropout: How School Is Failing Our Kids (And What We Can Do About It).” She is a freelance writer living in Calgary.


My opinion: 
Tracy's high school years: I went from 2000-2003.
This article totally triggered my anger because I struggled academically, and especially in high school.  
I don't know about the journalist's daughter and how her school worked.
This is my experience: 
When I was in gr. 9, all 3 of my teachers recommended I go to the low classes.
Mr. Jensen (Language Arts/ Social Studies): English 13, Social 13
Ms. Selk (math): Math 14.  (I went to Applied Math 10 which is one step above the low class and below the gr. level Math 10).
Ms. Skinner (science): Science 14. (I went to Science 10 and had to take it twice.)
The gr. 9 teachers recommended I go to the low classes, but it was the student's (and parents) choice to pick which class we go into.
I know my gr. 9 teachers recommended I go to the low classes, not because they didn't like me.  They were probably thinking:
"If Tracy wants to graduate out of high school, she needs to go into all the low classes so she can 100% graduate.  If I recommend her to go into even Eng. 10, Social 10, Applied Math 10, Science 10, she will struggle academically and may not even graduate."
In high school, maybe during it, a teacher can see if they're good enough to be in the class.  
Gr. 10: English 13 
Social 13
Applied Math 10
Science 10
Gr. 11: I went to Eng. 23 in the first semester, and then Eng. 20 in the second semester.  
Social 23
Applied Math 20
Science 10
Gr. 12: Eng. 30 
Social 33
Applied Math 30
Biology 20 in the first semester and Biology 30 in the second semester.

2 situations: This is each with a pro and a con:
Tracy goes to all the low classes:
Pro: She will 100% graduate out of high school.  I was in Eng. 13, Social, 13, Applied Math 10, and Science 10.  Gr. 10 was the easiest school year.  I didn't have to work hard or study.  I just showed up and passed.
Con: It's going to be harder for Tracy to get into college with Math 24 and Science 24.  A lot of college programs don't accept them.
After this, Tracy is going to have to upgrade all 4 core courses at Centre High, and she may have to spend 2 or 3 years to upgrade her grades and the classes.

Tracy goes to some of the grade level classes:
Pro: She won't have to upgrade as much after high school.  She will have to upgrade all 4 core subjects so she can increase her chances of getting into college.
Con: There is a risk that she may not graduate out of high school on time (within 3 yrs).  
There is like a 50% chance that she won't graduate on time.

Jul. 9, 2022: You can't avoid not going to school:
1. The school my parents made me go to.  I was average at English and Social Studies.  I was bad at math and science.

I did take these electives:
Art 10, 20, 30 
Drama 10, 20
Choral 10 (choir) 
Mandarin 10
Creative Writing 20
Psychology 20
2. Victoria Performing Arts School- I wanted to go to it.
3. Homeschooling.
No matter what school I go to, I know I will academically struggle, especially in math and science.
I remember Angela and I talked about this in like 2012.
Tracy: No matter what school I go to, I know I will academically struggle, especially in math and science.  It's like fate.
Angela: It's not fate, it's a known challenge.

I could go to homeschool: I could do all the low classes in correspondence and complete it really fast.  
After I graduated out of high school, I talked to a couple of teen girls who I worked with who said that they completed the low classes in correspondence really fast.
I wanted the high school experience: I did with making friends.

Don't let Tracy go to Victoria Performing Arts School: I found out about this school when I was 12 yrs old and I read that in the Edmonton Journal.
I know my parents wouldn't let me go there, because:
1. My grades were average at best, and mediocre at worst.
2. My dad said the school was in a ghetto area.  It's not safe.
3. There are all these risks and dangers in being a teenager with drugs, alcohol, peer pressure, etc. 
That is a whole bunch of unnecessary risks that don't need to be put on a teenage girl like Tracy who is not prepared.
My parents don't want to be worried and stressed about Tracy being in danger, when they only have one thing to be worried and stressed about which is Tracy graduating out of high school within 3 yrs.
Throw in my big sister S being worried and stressed.
I was already worried and stressed.

Dec. 10, 2023 Mitigate risks:
Summer school:
Before gr. 10: I went to Gym 10 which is 2 weeks and then I passed and got the 5 credits.
I went to CALM 20 (Career and Life Management which is like health class) which is 2 weeks and then I passed got 5 credits.
Don't waste your time taking those classes during the school year.
Before gr. 11: I took Pure Math 10 and failed, because it was too hard.  I had to learn math in 1 month.
Before gr. 12: I did take Social Studies 20 and passed and got 5 credits.  I already passed Social Studies 23 and that's how I got in.  

Tracy can't work at a part- time job while in school: She is already spending hours on math homework and school.
Tracy can't learn how to drive: and get a learner's permit or a driver's license.  She is already spending hours on math homework and school.
The main thing is that Tracy can't have too much on her schedule.

Here is my May 2018 blog post:

fall 2017 TV season reviews (Part 2)

May 28, 2018:

Self-awareness:

The woman who dances like a little girl: It was in SYTYCD in 2006.  This show came out in 2005.  In my teens and early 20s I loved dance.  I liked watching these shows.  It's not until 2010 I stopped watching these shows.  I still like dancing, but not enough to watch these shows.

This blond woman who was overweight comes to audition.  It was contemporary ballet dance.  She had her blond hair in a bun.  She was wearing a black halter top and black tights that were halfway below the knee.  I'm describing it because maybe some of you may want to try to find the video on YouTube.

Mary Murphy: This looks like something I would see 5 and 6 yr olds would perform at a children's dance recital.

My opinion: I thought the same thing.

The woman said she had 13 yrs of dance lessons and this is what she had to show for it.  She was wasting time, effort, and money into this.  If you like dancing, you can if you want to.  She did say she saw the show on and off, and she really thought she can get on the show.  The woman talked to the camera and was indifferent about the judge's criticism.

Math: That's the thing with dancing and arts, it's subjective.  Here's something objective.  It's like looking at a student's grades:

Applied Math 20 (2nd to lowest math class in gr. 11): 52%
Applied Math 30 (2nd to lowest math class in gr. 12): 50%.
Pure Math 30 (grade level average in gr. 12): 63%.

The other core subjects like science, English, and social studies are B and C.
Then it's like having that student apply to the STEM fields in any of the colleges.

Of course the student isn't going to get accepted.  If you want to get accepted into the STEM fields, you have to an A in math and/ or science in gr. level.  Also have As in nearly all core subjects.

The woman's dancing was poor and would not get onto SYTYCD at all.  This student's grades would not get accepted into STEM at all.

Jobs: I was talking to this life coach advisor Bill at Achieve Today.  It was free consultation on the phone.  I told him about my job search to be an administrative assistant and sent my resume.

Bill: Are you qualified?

I would say yes.  
I have a 2yr college diploma in Professional Writing:  I know how to write business letters and proposals.

I have worked at the Office Job in 2013 which is a call centre.  I explain to people how to read their bills and take payments over the phone.

I have worked at the Home Installation place in 2015.  I answer phones, take payments, and schedules.

I attended 2 classes at the Office Assistant program.  A business communication class and a Microsoft Word 2010 class. 

Nov. 8, 2018: There are variables:

Quantity: Lots of candidates.

Quality: The candidates are more qualified with more experience.


May 2, 2023 High school math: Those math grades that are in the "fall 2017 TV season reviews (Part 2)" are mine.  

I had my sister tutor me and help me with my math homework for 20-25 hrs a week.  

My parents paid a math tutor I attended for 1 hr and 30 min. every week since I was in gr. 6.  

That's when I got a C in math and continued to get a C in a math.

S attended a math tutor every week too, but she was in the grade level classes.  She got A's and B's.

I even remember this:

Applied Math 30: 
S: What you're learning in Applied Math 30, that's what I learned in Pure Math 10 (grade level.)

I was not hurt or offended by that.  When I was in Applied Math 10 (2nd to lowest math class in gr. 10), I was learning gr. 8 and 9 math.

Taking a second language: I was getting a C in Mandarin 10 and I didn't want to take it anymore.

Mom: You need a second language to get into a university.
S: Tracy doesn't have good enough grades to get into university.  She doesn't have to take this.
Mom: Do your best.


Here's my Aug. 2018 blog post:

Love Rehab/ bad teacher comparisons


Gr. 11 Social Studies 23 class: This is the lowest class for Social.  Mr. Smith says to the class a few times:


Mr. Smith: I don't assign you guys homework, because I know you are not going to do it.  You just do the assignment in class and we'll mark it.


He might as well be saying: "You guys are a bunch of stupid and lazy slackers."  He was basing this on previous experience teaching Social 23 and the students don't do their homework.


https://badcb.blogspot.com/2018/08/love-rehab-single-life-at-40-isnt-all.html


May 2, 2023 My opinion: I was not hurt or offended by that. He was criticizing the whole class, and not only me.

This is from my Oct. 2021 blog post:

Tracy's ideal life (as a TV writer & producer, Actor, Office Career) vs. Tracy's real life (Part 1)

Tracy's real life: In College:

2003- 2004: I went to Centre High.

Plan A: I applied into NAIT's TV program.  I wrote the Career Investigation report on my own, without help.

The Fall 2004 Intake- reject

Plan B: I got into NAIT's Graphic Communications 2004-2005.

I wrote the Career Investigation report with my sister's help.

I didn't graduate because it was kind of too hard for me.  There was no math or science.  This was mainly computer programs like Adobe Photoshop and InDesign, etc.

(This is still Plan A): I applied to get into NAIT's TV program again because I wanted to give it another shot.   I wrote the Career Investigation report on my own, without help.

Fall 2005 Intake- reject

Winter 2006 Intake- reject.  I wrote the Career Investigation report with my sister's help.

Plan C: I applied into NAIT's Radio program.

Fall 2005 Intake- reject.  I wrote the Career Investigation report with my sister's help.

Winter 2006 Intake- reject.  I wrote the Career Investigation report with my sister's help.

Plan D: I applied late and got into the MacEwan's Arts and Cultural Management program for Fall 2005 Intake .  

I got accepted and took 3 classes and passed.

Plan E: I applied and got accepted into MacEwan's Professional Writing for Fall 2006 intake.

2006-2008- I graduated.  2 of the 3 classes from the Arts and Cultural Management were put towards my Professional Writing 2 yr college diploma.

May 2, 2023: My sister helped me with gr. 11, 12  in Applied Math 20 and 30, and Pure Math 30 in Centre High.

Plan B: I got into NAIT's Graphic Communications 2004-2005.

I wrote the Career Investigation report with my sister's help.

Plan D: I applied late and got into the MacEwan's Arts and Cultural Management program for Fall 2005 Intake .  

My sister helped me with the college application.


S did help me graduate of high school and get into 2 college programs.  That's from 2002-2005.  That's 4 years.

She helped me get really far.  I know I'm really lucky to have her help.

May 3, 2023: When I was a kid in elementary school, I knew that each grade that gets higher, school was going to get harder.  I worried about the future if I can keep my grades up.

By the time I was in gr. 8, I was unsure if I can even graduate out of high school on time like within 3 years.

Can I even get into college?

Go into easier colleges like MacEwan and NAIT.  Also go into a 1 or 2 year program.


Dec. 8, 2023 My friend's experiences: 

Friend #1:  I have a friend when she was in elementary school, she misses school 1 day a week and she goes to school in the morning, and skips school in the afternoon.  She had mediocre and bad grades.

In jr. high (and high school) she misses school 1 day a week.  In gr. 8, she said: "When I graduate out of high school, I'm going to take a year off."

I thought to myself: "If you graduate out of high school."  I didn't say it to her because that would be mean.  

Her teachers recommended that she go into all the low classes.  

She with either fail out of high school because she skips a lot and gets bad grades.  Or she will drop out because she skips so much school.  She dropped out by not going to school.

Friend #2: I went to elementary with her.  She went to another jr. high school.  She then went the same high school as me.  However, in gr. 11, she dropped out and I bumped into her on the bus, and I got the whole story.  Her grades were average to good.  

She had a single mom since her dad left her when she was 6 yrs old.  Her mom got a boyfriend.  By the time my friend was 16 yrs old, the mom didn't want to be a mom anymore and kicked her out of the house.  My friend wasn't one of those out- of- control teenage girls wearing tight and revealing clothes and saying things like: "When I grow up, I want to be a stripper."  

She moved into with friends and got a job at a fast food place.  She went to CDI college has a career as a massage therapist.

Friend #3: I met her through my math tutoring.  She went to M E Lazerte.  She's Chinese.  She was struggling really hard in math.  Her math tutor said to her: "This problem is just like the last one we did" and wasn't really helpful.  She went to Math 24 and she said it was really easy.

School advice: I remember talking to Angela about this in 2010- 2012.  

Angela: You are qualified to give school advice because you went through it and struggled so much.

If you read this whole blog post, she and I'm sure a lot of you would want to ask other people's opinions and experiences and school advice.

There isn't a "my week" because this blog post is long.

Here are the other 2 blog posts of the week:

"Why smashing the taboo around menopause makes good economic sense"/ "Corporate Canada needs better approach to menopause if it wants to keep women leaders"



"Menopause costs Canada's economy billions: report"/ "Women always had hot flashes at work, but now they’re done hiding menopause"



No comments: