Sunday, April 12, 2020

Work from Home- Penny Hoarder (Work from Home Part 10)



Mar. 19, 2020: I am posting this work from home blog post because I'm sure a lot of people are working at home or just at home because they aren't allowed to work because of the COVID- 19.
 


I have done some research on these work from home companies.

Work- at-Home Call Center Jobs- Balance Careers (Work from Home Part 9)

http://badcb.blogspot.com/2020/04/work-at-home-call-center-jobs-balance.html

Work- at-Home Call Center Jobs- Balance Careers (Work from Home Part 8)

http://badcb.blogspot.com/2020/04/work-at-home-call-center-jobs-work-from.html

15 Work-From-Home Websites to Help You Find a Remote Job


To help you start working from home, we collected this list of job search sites that feature remote work opportunities.

1. The Penny Hoarder Work-From-Home Job Portal


If you’re looking for a trusted work-from-home job search site, this is your best bet. Why? Because The Penny Hoarder’s editorial staff hand-picks and screens all the opportunities listed, and, well, we’ve got strict guidelines in place.

Pop into the job board — no account creation required — and search by keyword or job title and location. (Some work-from-home jobs have location requirements, so you can weed those out if needed.)

Each listing includes details about the hiring company, the job requirements, the qualifications, the benefits and the pay — as long as the information is available.

Job listings are added to the portal daily, so you’ll always find new opportunities.

My opinion: All the jobs here are US based and none in Canada.

2. ZipRecruiter


This is perhaps the easiest site to navigate on this list, hence why we’ve listed it first.

Click over to ZipRecruiter to find your geo-tailored work-from-home job. (Even some work-from-home job opportunities have location restrictions.)

As soon as you start your search, you’ll see the average salary for work-from-home jobs in your area. This will help you know what to expect. Peruse the listings to find information about the company, the pay and the employment type. You’ll find details about requirements as well as information about how to apply.

ZipRecruiter will even let you know if you qualify for the position based on your credentials.

If you’re not yet ready to take the plunge and submit your resume, you can always save the job for later and move on to the next.

(Psst… There’s also an app for that. Download the ZipRecruiter app for job updates.)

My opinion: I applied to some positions prior to this.  Then I applied to some more work from home positions.

3. AngelList


If you’re looking to work in the startup world, this site can be a great place to start your remote journey. It features nearly 25,000 startups with open positions.

Sign up, and create a profile by uploading your resume or manually filling in your job experience. Then start browsing open positions.

Job categories include developer, designer, marketing and sales. The site has featured jobs from companies including Everlane, SeatGeek and Stripe.

If you click the star next to a job and the company stars your profile, you’ll connect via email, where you can send a more tailored and personalized cover letter and resume.

My opinion: I have never heard of this website before.  


Pro: I then clicked on it and there are a lot of apps from big companies hiring.


Con: They are for positions I'm not qualified for like data engineer and software developer. 

4. FlexJobs


Tired of those too-good-to-be-true postings that really are too good to be true?

FlexJobs screens each posting — more than 30,000 of them — to be sure each company is reputable.

Choose to search for jobs by location. There, select the “Can be Done From Anywhere” option, and scan the endless listings.

Fluent in another language? Check out the number of telephone interpreter postings. Interested in words? Browse all the SEO and news writing jobs.

But here’s the catch: To get the full details of a job listing, apply or access other perks (like the skills test), you must sign up for a $14.95-per-month membership.

This is the only site on our list that’ll cost you, but the quality of its listings might be worth the price tag. 

Take a look to see whether you find enough openings relevant to your experience before signing up, and once you find the right gig, be sure to cancel your membership!


My opinion: I researched this before:



http://badcb.blogspot.com/2020/03/flexjobs-contractworld-work-from-home.html

5. Glassdoor


Glassdoor is all about transparency, a welcome quality when you’re researching potential employers. Find company ratings, salaries and even information about the hiring process, including actual job interview questions.
Start typing “remo…” in the location search box, and “Remote (Work From Home), US” will pop up. If you don’t designate an interest area, the site will display more than 4,000 jobs.
Some job titles include customer success managers, marketing coordinators and data engineers.

My opinion: I applied to a position.

6. Indeed

Boasting the position of “world’s #1 job site” (according to itself at least), Indeed will likely offer you the most comprehensive search. Not only do employers post jobs directly to Indeed, the interface aggregates job postings from thousands of other sites.
Although you’ll need patience to sort through the listings (and need to sniff out the ones that aren’t so legit), the search options are endless and the jobs are varied: personal assistants, social media managers, voiceover artists and food bloggers.
Simply search “remote” in the location bar. But watch out for the sponsored listings at the top and bottom of the page — they might not fit your search criteria.

My opinion: I applied to some positions prior to this.  Then I applied to some more work from home positions.

7. Jobspresso

Because Jobspresso only lists remote jobs, you don’t have to trudge through contingencies and fine print in a job listing — you’ll know it’s actually a work-from-home job.
Simply select “Browse Jobs,” and either choose all remote jobs or search by a career category. Keep an eye on location — some positions require you to work in a certain time zone or state.
Chug your espresso, and start exploring all the options: writer (celebrity beats included), brand manager and web developer positions abound.

My opinion: I checked out the website, and I find this average.  I will have to look into this more.

The jobs are designer, developer, devops, marketing, PM (project manager), sales, support, various, writing.

I looked into sales and the jobs are hard like account executive and sales manager.

There are some old job ads that are still posted, and you can't apply because the job applications are closed.

I looked at the writing jobs, and I applied to one.  I did a test, and I didn't get hired.

8. PowerToFly

This site aims its services at stay-at-home mothers and women who want to find a flexible job that offers a decent work-life balance.
Fill out a profile, and start perusing. You’re encouraged to think of it as LinkedIn; select “happily employed” if you are just that, but it never hurts to keep the door open for something better.
You’ll find a specific “Remote Jobs” category you can select to search.

My opinion: I was looking at this website, and I like that it's aimed at women.  You can get coaching sessions.  I typed in "customer service", and there are all these jobs, but not something I'm qualified:

-technical account manager

It's not just the job titles, but the requirements like 2-3 yrs in this finance industry, bilingual, etc.

9. Remote OK

Remote OK aggregates remote job listings for “digital nomads” from other sites such as Stack Overflow and Indeed. You’ll find mostly technology-based gigs, but there’s an option to search “non-tech.”
Under each category, the jobs are listed by posting date. You can also sign up for daily, weekly or monthly emails or automated updates.

My opinion: It's a lot of tech, and kind of hard to find non-tech.  

I typed in "customer service" and there were lots of jobs.  However, I'm not qualified like engineer and manager.  

Then when I look for jobs, this pops up:

"How do you apply? This job post is older than 30 days and the position is probably filled. Try applying to jobs posted recently instead."

There were only 3 positions I could apply to because they are less than 30 days old.  They have lots of jobs older than that.  I only applied to 1 because I only qualified for that.

10. Remotive

Yes, that’s “remote” + “productive.”
This site focuses exclusively on remote job listings, so simply select your desired category of profession (education, engineering or human resources, among others). Clicking on “Apply for Job” will take you directly to the company’s site.
After your initial search, stay on top of new job listings by signing up for a weekly or monthly email update.

My opinion: I researched this, and there is a lot of CSR tech positions.  I do like the graphics of a dog sitting in front of a laptop.

11. Skip The Drive

Although many of these listings link back to Indeed, this site’s filter options can help you refine your search and find jobs that best fit your skills and interests.
You’ll see full-time, part-time or contract work in a variety of categories including account management, consulting, finance and recruiter. Once you choose your niche, filter jobs by posting date to avoid reading expired listings.
As a fun bonus, the site helps you calculate how much money and time you’ll save each year by working from home.

My opinion: I click on a job and then it leads me to Job Hat website.  It turns out Job Hat is only in the US.  I then looked around, and this is a US website, and the jobs are linked to other US websites.

12. Stack Overflow

Although this site is mostly known as a message board for developers, it also hosts a number of location-independent gigs.
Head on over to “Developer Jobs” at the top left of your screen. You can also search by contract gig or permanent options.

My opinion: This is all tech jobs like developers and engineers.

13. Virtual Vocations

The site will ask you to log in or register (and will interrupt your search until you do so), but the search filters are worth the time it takes to sign up.
Use the left-hand toolbar to filter job postings by category, geographic restriction, type, weekly hours, career level, education level, travel requirements and date posted.
As you click your selections, postings will update automatically. You’ll see jobs in a number of categories including editing, fundraising, legal, nursing, real estate and even travel.
Its Twitter feed also regularly updates with new job postings.

My opinion: There are lots of different industries to get a job in.  You have to sign up and be a member to apply.  This is how much it costs:


Monthly



$12.79


$15.99 reg.
Good VALUE
$12.79/month

3 Months



$31.99


$39.99 reg.
GREAT VALUE
$10.66/month

6 Months



$47.99


$59.99 reg.
BEST VALUE
$7.99/month


14. We Work Remotely

This site might not share as many jobs as others, but it hosts some of the more quirky opportunities.
Take, for example, a company called Eating Europe, seeking a content marketing manager. Or there’s the iPhone Photography School; it was needing a customer service agent.
Searching is simple. On the homepage, scroll through to find the appropriate job category, and click to see all listings. Or follow the site on Twitter.

My opinion: I applied to one position.  There are a lot of industries.

15. Working Nomads

Comb through remote job listings based on your interest area: development, design, customer success, management, writing or system administrator.
The curated job postings are mostly focused around tech-related work, so you’ll see lots of positions with titles such as JavaScript architect, Python software developer and front-end engineer.

My opinion: I went to the Customer Success category and there are only 2 positions and I'm not qualified.

I went to Administration and there are 8 positions and I'm not qualified.

I went to Sales and there are 8 positions and I'm not qualified.  There are jobs like Commercial Lines Account Manager and you need 2-7 yrs of Property insurance experience.

I looked into Writing.  The technical writers seem like a hard job.

Career strategist/ Resume writer:

"8-10 years of business experience, preferably in human resources, direct customer support, recruiting or digital marketing"

Content developer/ editor:



 GP Strategies, a NYSE-listed company (GPX), is a global performance improvement solutions provider of sales and technical training, e-learning solutions, management consulting, and engineering services. GP Strategies solutions improve the effectiveness of organizations by delivering innovative and superior training, consulting, and business improvement services, customized to meet the specific needs of its clients. Clients include Fortune 500 companies, manufacturing, process and energy industries, and other commercial and government customers.

Qualifications:

  • Strong writing and/or editing skills; excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills; proficiency with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint; HTML experience a plus.
  • Must display reliability and excel at meeting challenges with resourcefulness and innovative ideas.
  • Must enjoy working with teams in a fast-paced, energetic environment.
Education: A degree in journalism, technical writing, or related field and at least two years’ experience as a professional writer or editor is highly recommended.

Data writer (insurance): I like this job description.


*Based in San Francisco or Remote*

NerdWallet is looking for a writer who can analyze, interpret and write about data to help consumers make informed personal finance choices. Successful candidates must be able to translate complex topics into conversational articles that frame the answers our audience seeks with the context it deserves.


Your primary focus will be to research, obtain, analyze and interpret data, and then write compelling data-driven stories for the benefit of consumers. You would spend a significant 



amount of time obtaining and managing relevant data for your team, 



communicating with data vendor partners, 



inspecting and analyzing large data sets, 



and helping fellow writers understand how to frame and write about your findings.

A typical day could include not only writing but also gathering data for product ratings, building a case for a new coverage area, testing a calculator, editing a colleague's work or pitching in on a presentation for colleagues.

Please include links to two or more examples of your work that involved data analysis. Ideally at least one should be an example in which you analyzed and wrote about the data. 



In each case, please describe your role in obtaining, analyzing, interpreting and writing about the data.

How you can make an impact:



  • Write high-quality, data-driven stories with a strong consumer-first orientation.
  • Share expertise and timely/relevant ideas to support NerdWallet's data-driven content strategy.
  • Analyze data, interpret your findings and break it down for readers in a clear, digestible and useful way.
  • Manage relationships with data vendors and field data requests from fellow writers and partners.
  • Leverage insights from analytics to grow NerdWallet's readership and improve the user experience through new content and optimizations.
  • Contribute ideas that strengthen NerdWallet's approach to product reviews and comparisons.
  • Help shape NerdWallet's consumer experiences, including tools.
  • Think creatively about how to use the data we have, how to track down the data we want, and how best to leverage it in the service of consumers.

Carson Kohler (@CarsonKohler) is a staff writer at The Penny Hoarder. She loves working from home once a week. It means quality time with her houseplants.


https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/make-money/sites-to-find-work-from-home-jobs/

Mar. 23, 2020 Kijiji: I looked up "work from home" on Kijiji, and they were like Vector Marketing and Rover dog sitter.

Apr. 6, 2020 Why are you writing so much about working from home?: 

It's because I want to work from home.  I have been looking for a work from home job since Jan. 2020.  I had intensified my job search in Mar. 2020 since I got laid off.

I would not be hurt or offended if you skip this whole part and go straight to "my week."

This is a phase like:

Sept. -Dec. 2014: I post news articles about book reviews and author interviews because I like reading and writing.

Jan. 2015 to present: I post news articles about jobs and careers because I'm interested in being more productive, improving your resume, etc.

Is there anything you guys are interested in and would like some news articles to be posted about?


Apr. 10, 2020 Revisit old call centres:

Call Centre #1: There are other locations in other cities so I applied to one.  When I worked there, I got laid off.

Call Centre #2: I worked there and quit when I had to go to school full-time.  It closed down 2 yrs later.  There are no job postings.

Call Centre #3: I worked and got laid off.  There are no job postings.

Call Centre #4: I worked for a day in 2010 and they dismissed me because 9 completed surveys wasn't enough.  I attended an interview in 2012 and didn't get hired.  I attended an interview in 2019 and didn't get hired.  I emailed my resume.

Apr. 11, 2020 The phone positions:

1. Market research interviewer- I call people to do surveys and was able to get people to do surveys.

2. CSR- people call me and I help them.

3. Telemarketer- I have worked at a few of these and am unable to sell tickets and ad space.

4. Tech support- I have never worked as one.  The CSR position wasn't really tech support.

5. Appointment setters- I worked for one day as one and it was 100% commission and I quit.





My week:


No photo description available.


Apr. 5, 2020 The Simpsons: I found this and it's from Put in in H and there are a lot of The Simpsons pictures here:


Apr. 7, 2020 EI report: I filed an EI report online.  However, there is a problem and I can't complete it.  I have to talk to someone about it.

Call 1-800-531-7555 and press 0 to talk to a representative.

I called and it's always busy.  There isn't even a way for me to be put on hold.  I'm willing to be put on hold.

I tried later in the afternoon like 3:30 pm and was able to get through and be put on hold.  By 4:30 pm, the place closed, but the hold music was still playing.  I hung up later.  I was reading a book the whole time I was waiting.

I went to the Service Canada in downtown and they're closed.  It turns out all Service Canada's are closed right now when I checked the website.

City Centre mall: I went to City Centre mall and it says most stores are closed except like Accusearch, and a Shoppers Drug Mart, and a couple of restaurants.

Flashbacks:

Grocery shopping: This reminds me of back in 2013.  I dislike winter and I thought if I ever had to live on my own, I would buy all my groceries at the beginning of Nov.  I would then not have to go out in the winter time to buy them.  I would buy:

- canned soups
-instant noodles
-cereal
-snacks: chips, cookies

I would have to buy milk like every couple of weeks.

Summer 2003: This also reminds me after I graduated out of high school and I didn't have to go summer school like the last few summers.  I couldn't get a job though I passed my resumes.  I then started watching Maury and became addicted.  

In summer 2005, I started disliking the show.  However, I made myself stop watching by Nov. 2005. I don't watch daytime TV at all.  

I appreciate Telus, the On Demand, and the DVR where I can record all the TV shows and movies I want.  I also appreciate the internet.

Feb. 2002: I was in gr. 11 and there was the teacher's strike for a month.  I watched a lot of TV and especially 3 new Buffy episodes.  The first day I got back to school I sat in front of Tamara.

Tamara: Shut up.  Shut up.
We all laughed because we both know we're going to be talking about Buffy.

The Simpsons: This reminds me of the episode where Bart incites the teacher's strike so he wouldn't have to go to school.  He got Miss. Krabappel and Principal Skinner to fight.

Cut to the meeting where they each state their case to the parents.

Miss. K: We need more money for textbooks and a cost of living raise.
The audience agrees.
Principal Skinner: If you want that, it's going to come out of your taxes.
The audience grumbles.

Saying: "It's not about waiting for the storm to pass, but to dance in the rain."

The storm is COVID- 19.  I'm not dancing in the rain, but I am being as productive as possible by looking for a work from home job.  I'm also reading a productivity book that my dad has.

Roselyn Sanchez: I was watching The Rookie ep "The Overnight."  When I first saw her, I recognized her from Grand Hotel.  I really like Grand Hotel for the comedy and mystery.

I then looked her up, and she was in Rush Hour 2.  I then remembered the scene where she shows her badge and some skin.

Carter: Let me see that again, I didn't get a good look at that.
lol.



Charity: Also while watching the ep, they aired a lot of charity commercials.

PC Children's Charity: They raise money to feed kids.


The A&W spokesman (the 50 something yr old balding guy) in the commercials thanked all doctors, nurses, first responders, truck drivers, and people staying at home during the COVID- 19 pandemic.

I then saw a Subaru commercial saying the same thing.


Apr. 11, 2020 A family recreates The Simpsons: I thought it was kind of funny.


Ellen DeGeneres quarantine jail joke: 

“One thing that I’ve learned from being in quarantine is that people — this is like being in jail, is what it is,” she said. “It’s mostly because I’ve been wearing the same clothes for 10 days and everyone in here is gay.”

There is controversy and people are offended because she is living in a mansion and she can go wherever she wants.  In jail, people can't leave.




My opinion: This is:

A. Offensive

B. Funny

C. Both

D. Neither

I thought this was mildly funny.  I have gotten this feeling where I feel like I'm in prison because of Canadian winters.  I only go out for school, work, or doctor appointments.  I take the bus everywhere and I hate waiting for the bus in the winter time.  It's cold out and I don't want to go out even for something fun like shopping or a social event.

No comments: