Sunday, August 11, 2019

spring 2019 TV season (Part 1)/ Grandmother, 89, had never seen mountains before, so her grandson took her to see them

Jul. 21, 2019 The Hot Zone: This is a 6 episode mini-series that I just finished watching.

"The frightening spread of the EBV (Ebolavirus)."

Pros:

1. The cast like Julianna Margulies as Dr. Nancy Jaxx.  (The Good Wife).

Noah Emmerich as Lt. Col. Jerry Jax.

Topher Grace as Peter.  (That 70s Show).

Paul James as Ben.

James D' Arcy as Rhodes.

Liam Cunningham as Carter.

Grace Gummer as Melinda.  (Extant).

Lenny Platt as Kyle.  (Quantico season 1).

The acting is very good.

2. Good writing.  There is lots of drama, conflict, and tension with this disease.  It's scary with the fear of infection and preventing widespread panic.  It's dangerous and intense.

There is a monkey attacking a human.

It is smart.

3. There is good production.

Cons: None.

Comparisons: It reminds me of TV shows like Containment (I saw the whole season) and Helix (I saw the first 2 eps.)


https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4131818/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

The Code: This show came out Apr. 2019.


"A look at the professional and personal lives of some of the military's brightest legal minds in the courtroom, where each attorney is trained as a prosecutor, a defense lawyer, an investigator - and a Marine."

Pros:  

1. The cast.  First and foremost, I'm watching this show for Luke Mitchell (Roman from Blindspot).  He plays Captain John "Abe" Abraham.

Dana Delaney is the Col.  (Desperate Housewives).

Ato Essandoh as Major Ferry.

Anna Wood as Capt. Maya Dobbins.

Phillapa Soo as Lt. Harper Li- and they make jokes about her name.

Raffi Barsoumian as Rami.

At first I thought all the characters were average, but after awhile, they grew on me.

2. The writing is good.  There is drama, conflict, and tension as they solve these cases.

3. It is kind of funny here and there.

There is a scene where the team flies to another country.  Rami doesn't come.

Later Abe wakes up and Rami is standing over him.
Abe: Rami?  Am I dreaming?

Cons: None.

My opinion: Overall, I thought the show was average.  I don't really like military drama or law drama.  If Luke Mitchell wasn't in it, I may still watch it.  It's mainly because it's a spring TV show, and there aren't many shows to watch during the summer.  That's why I record a lot of spring TV shows and average shows as back up, in case there's nothing to watch during the summer.


https://cancelrenewtv.com/the-code-cancelled-no-season-2-for-cbs-tv-show/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8888168/?ref_=rvi_tt

Jul. 27, 2019: I wanted to add I saw the season finale.  It starred Steven Pasquale as a lawyer.  When I first saw him, I thought he looked familiar.  Then I was like: "He was the lead in Do No Harm.  The modern version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde." 

He is married to the actress Phillapa Soo on The Code.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1018679/


In the Dark: 

"A young, blind woman tries to solve her friend's murder."

Pros:

1. Perry Matfield as Murphy is a good actress.  She carries the show.  She smokes, drinks, and has casual sex.  

Thamela Mpumlawana plays the friend Tyson who is murdered.

Brooke Markham as Murphy's friend Jess and a vet is good.

All the actors on this show are good.

2. The writing is good with Murphy who tries to solve her friend's murder even though she's blind, and doesn't have police training.  On Veronica Mars when Veronica tries to solve her friend's murder, she did have PI training with her dad.

Murphy and her friends do get into danger.  Tyson was a drug dealer, so it could be related to his job or not.  Tyson had saved Murphy's life when she was mugged, and that's how they became friends.

3. It's funny here and there.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I watched the whole season.  I recorded it and watched it in about a week.  It's average and a solid show.

It has been renewed for a 2nd season.

https://tvline.com/2019/04/24/all-american-renewed-season-2-the-cw/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7772602/

Jul. 27, 2019 Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists:

"Everything about the town of Beacon Heights seems perfect, but in the aftermath of the town's first murder, behind every Perfectionist hides secrets, lies and much needed alibies." 

Pros:

1. The cast:

Sasha Pieterse- as Allison from the original show.  She is now an English professor.

Janel Parrish- as Mona from the original show.  She is a counselor at the university.

The 4 new characters:

Sofia Carson as Ava, the fashion student.

Eli Brown as Dylan the violinist.

Sydney Parker as Caitlin.

Chris Mason as Nolan.  The villian.

Kelly Rutherford- as Nolan and Taylor's mom/ dean of the school.  She was Serena's mom Lily Van Der Woodsen on Gossip Girl.)

2. There is a good opening where they set the atmosphere that this is a high pressure college.  There is a murder that happens on the show.

3. All the characters are introduced and what their interests are.

Nolan is shown how he blackmails characters like Caitlin: Your mom is cheating on your mom.   (Shows pictures).  She's going to run for President.  I need you to pretend to be my girlfriend so I won't tell.

Ava's dad embezzled money and went to jail.  The parents ran off without Ava.

Dylan cheated on his boyfriend with Nolan.

4. Good surprises.

Spoiler alert: Taylor is alive.  The school Beacon Heights University is spying on them and they have to bring them down.

5. There is violin music playing songs from Lady GaGa and the Weekend.

Cons:

1. It was kind of predictable.  About halfway in, I was able to predict who is going to get murdered.

Spoiler alert: It was Nolan, because everybody hates him since he was blackmailing all these characters.

2. The characters.  It's not that I dislike the characters, but I don't like them either.

Comparisons: 

A character that everybody hates gets murdered.  Everybody is a suspect: It's been done a lot like The Simpsons ep "Who shot Mr. Burns?"

My opinion: I watched the pilot and thought it was average.  I decided to watch the 2nd episode because I like the original.  Let's really give the show a chance.  I didn't like it.  I stopped after 2 episodes.


https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7413448/

Sun. Aug. 5, 2019: I have been writing about TV and movies for the past week.  It feels like I have been watching all these even though I was only writing about it.

My week:

Sat. Aug. 3, 2019 Total Recall: I saw this movie that came out in 2012.  It was good.

Sun. Aug. 4, 2019 Centre of Spiritual Living: I went there and talked to Me and got to know her a bit more.  She has studied creative things like retail design and photography.  Now she works at an office job.

The teens then told us about their positive camp experience.

The Simpsons: Last week I was talking to this new cook K.  He is a white guy in his early 20s.  He was cooking fish.  I started singing "Na, na, na, fishing, fishing, fishing" to the Batman theme song.

Tracy: It was from The Simpsons.  Homer was singing that.  It was the episode where they joined the cult the Movementarians.
K: I don't think I saw that ep.

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Movementarianism

Then I told this to Ni at the 2nd restaurant job.  She's in her late 20s.

Ni: That's the old Batman theme song.
Tracy: Yeah, but it's from The Simpsons ep about the Movementarians.
Ni remembers the ep.

Mon. Aug. 5, 2019 Community library: It was a nice and sunny day where I sat outside and read a couple of books.  Have you seen those old newspaper boxes where it's painted as a "free library"?  You can take a book and donate one there.

I went out for a walk in the afternoon and decided to go to one.  There was a little bench by it, so I looked through the books.  I found this library a couple of months ago. 

Tues. Aug. 6, 2019 Job search complaint: I'm going to write about it, so I can deal with it and move on.  I got a call for an interview at a dental clinic.  The woman says she preferred someone with dental experience, but she read my resume and reference letter and wanted to set up an interview.  We set up the interview.  The next day, she emailed and said that she really did want someone with dental experience and cancelled the interview.

That's fine.  She can change her mind.  I'm a little disappointed.

Wed. Aug. 7, 2019 Edmonton Declutter and Organize Meetup: Last night I attended it.  These Meetups are once a month.  I met 3 new people:

M- an African woman.
J- the organizer's teen daughter
S- an Asian woman

They all know each other outside of the Meetup.  We talked about the topic Hygge:

Hygge (/ˈhjuːɡə/ HEW-gə or /ˈhɡə/ HOO-gə) is a Danish and Norwegian word for a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment. As a cultural category with its sets of associated practices hygge has more or less the same meanings in Danish and Norwegian, but the notion is more central in Denmark than Norway.[1] The emphasis on hygge as a part of Danish culture is a recent phenomenon, dating to the late 20th century. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygge

Thurs. Aug.8, 2019 Work: I've been working more at the 2nd restaurant job for the last month.  I am a PT casual worker there.  I like to work, and I like working there.

"Grandmother, 89, had never seen mountains before, so her grandson took her to see them":

When Brad Ryan found out his 89-year-old grandmother had never seen a mountain range, he decided to make her dream come true.

Since 2015, the grandmother-grandson duo have made it their mission to road trip across the entire country and visit 29 national parks to give her the "life of adventure she had never been able to fulfill," he told Fox KTVU 2.

The Ohio native and his grandmother — who he lovingly refers to as "Grandma Joy" — went on their first joint road trip four years ago to Great Smoky Mountain National Park, found on the border of North Carolina and Tennessee.

Most recently, they checked their 29th park, Acadia National Park, off their bucket list.

"When she says, 'I probably won't be back here again,' it always affirms that tomorrow is never guaranteed," he said. "We have an obligation to lean into joy with every spectacular sunrise and chorus of birds that greet the morning."


Brad Ryan made it his mission to help his grandma see more of the world.

Fri. Aug. 9, 2019 [MINDSET] Ep. 58: How to Get Out of Debt with Ashley Feinstein Gerstley: You Turn Podcast w/ Ashley Stahl

What do you feel when you hear the word “money”?

Sit down with Ash this week while she interviews Ashley Gerstley, a money coach and the author of The 30-Day Money Cleanse.  The two Ashley’s discuss tips on getting out of debt and how to improve your relationship with money.  Money is one taboo topic, leaving most of us in the dark with how to manage it.  Because of this, Ashley outlines her 4 key steps to take control of finances and spending patterns.  Did you know that there are three layers to debt?  Ashley breaks down what they are, and how best to recover from them.

Money can be an emotionally charging concept, Ashley invites you to let go of the shame you may feel around self-worth and build a healthy long lasting relationship with your finances.  Part of this is recognizing and releasing environmental toxins.  Listen in to learn what they are, and tips to improve them.  The post-episode notes are key to this episode, stay tuned in to learn how Ash recovered from debt and what she realized along the way!

 

In This Episode, Learn How To:

1. View money as accessible and fun.

2. Debunk the confusion with credit scores and interest rates.

3. Create and understand intentional spending.

4. Navigate relationships where money is viewed and valued differently.

 

Resources:

30 Day Money Cleanse by Ashley Gerstley

The Third Door by Alex Banayan

 

Where to Find Ashley Gerstley:

www.thefiscalfemme.com

Instagram: thefiscalfemme

 

Want to land the job you love?  Visit youturnpodcast.com/joboffer

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/mindset-ep-58-how-to-get-out-debt-ashley-feinstein/id1382321276?i=1000436258050

My opinion: The tips are to look at how much you owe.  Pay off the card with the highest interest rate.  Call the credit card company to lower your interest rate.

Sat. Aug. 10, 2019: Yesterday and today was really busy at my 2nd restaurant job.

Birthday: Tomorrow is my birthday, so I will be working at my 2nd restaurant job in the day, and my 1st restaurant job at night.

If I have to work on my birthday, I will pick another day in Aug. and celebrate it.

No comments: