Saturday, June 1, 2019

job interviews/ UCP wage roll back/ "Americans outraged over praise of little boy's DIY walker"

Apr. 19, 2019 Job interviews:

Eye centre: I went to this interview in Mar. 2019.


Pros:


1. The hours are full-time.  The latest they open is 7:30pm.


2. The duties are: pretesting eyes, eye contacts, booking appointments, ordering, answering phones.


Cons:


1. It was kind of far away like 2 buses.  It was in the west end.


2. When I got there, they gave me this test.  It was like job interview questions of "Tell me about yourself."  It was 15 min. to fill it out.  Then I talked to the boss for a couple of min.


I thought they would ask me those questions, and instead of me filling it out.  Unless the boss thought it was faster to just read these answers.  There was going to be a 2nd interview.


My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.


Big chain coffee shop: I went to this interview in Mar. 2019.


Pros:


1. It was easy to get to like 1 bus.


2. It is full-time.  It can be 4-8hr shifts.  It's at least 32 hrs a week.


3. The pay is $15.25/hr.


4. Free food when working.


Cons:


1. It's a baker position so I have to work from 4am- 12pm.  I am an early riser, but not that early.  I can adjust.


2. The buses don't come that early.  However, the company will pay for my taxi so I can get to work.


My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  He did tell me about the other locations that he owns and will keep in me in mind when hiring for them.


Downtown café:went to this interview in Mar. 2019.


Pros:


1. It was in downtown so it was easy to get to.


2. The hours are Mon.-Fri. and daytime.


3. The duties are making sandwiches, baking, food prep.


Cons: 


1. It's new and it's not established.  It can close down within 2 yrs.


My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  I was a good fit for the job because I can do the duties and I have the experience.  It was actually kind of interesting because when I got there, the boss was like: "Oh hi, you're here.  There have been others that didn't show up."


I went to an interview at a medical store and the boss said that to me.


Apr. 21, 2019 Gym receptionist/ smoothie maker: The job title may seem to be an interesting mix, but by writing that down, I remember I attended a job interview like this in another gym a couple of years ago.   I went to this interview in Mar. 2019.


Pros:


1. It was in downtown.


2. I can work in the daytime.


3. The pay was $15/ hr.  Also I get $10 commission for every gym membership that I get people to sign up for.


4. I can do the receptionist duties of calling people to book appointments for trainers, and answering phones.  I worked at restaurants with lots of food prep and handling cash.


Cons: None.


My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  I can work like in an office and a restaurant in one location.


Apr. 24, 2019 Dental clinic: I went to this interview in Mar. 2019.

Pros:

1. It was in the northside, and 2 buses to get there.  The buses come often.

2. The pay is $16/hr.  There are benefits after 3 months.

3. The hours are full-time an daytime like 9am-5pm.

4. The duties to greet patients, check them in and out, filing charts, calling specialty dental offices, calling, and recalling people.  There is calling people to pay us and how much the insurance company covers it and payments over the phone.

Cons:

1. It's very hard.  There are 55 patients a day.  There are 3 receptionists on shift, 4 dentists, and 4 hygienists.

2. I had to know dental terminology.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  I will give points that the boss emailed me to say she isn't going to hire me and chose someone with dental experience.  It was good that I got the interview because she did see something in my resume though there wasn't dental experience.

I gave good answers:

- I wanted to work there long-term
- I was willing to learn    
- I told them that I worked at my 1st restaurant job, and it's 1 hr bus ride, and I was rarely late.
-I told them I was good at time management and prioritizing
- I could start next week.   

May 19, 2019 Working at a hotel out-of-town: I applied to some places like this.  I then got a flashback that I looked into this place before.

Bayshore Inn:

https://www.bayshoreinn.com/careers/

The beauty of this blog is if I don't or you don't remember something, I can look for it on my blog.  I wrote about this way back in Aug. 2013:

https://badcb.blogspot.com/2013/08/island-bayshore-inn-low-classes.html

Cleaner job search: I'm going to write about it so I can deal with it and move on. I am kind of nervous to be a cleaner, because I have never been paid to do it professionally.

I have cleaned at home and I don't get paid.  I have cleaned at the restaurant, but it's a small part of my duties.

May 26, 2019: It's been a week.  I got 5 call backs.

My week:


May 26, 2019 Story of Evan Leversage's early Christmas inspires Indian film: I was cleaning and I wrote this story down that came out in 2015.  Here's an update: 

Leversage became known as ‘The Boy Who Moved Christmas’ when, in 2015, his hometown of St. George staged a massive Christmas celebration two months before Christmas Eve.

The seven-year-old boy suffered from a rare and incurable brain tumour. He wanted to see one last Christmas before he died – and, with his prognosis uncertain, the entire St. George community came together to grant that wish. Lights were hung, a parade was organized, and artificial snow was created to help give the event a true December feel.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/story-of-evan-leversage-s-early-christmas-inspires-indian-film-1.3805405

May 27, 2019 Georges Awaad: I found this article in the Star Metro about how this 20 yr old guy can speak 19 languages fluently:


Awaad, whose first language is French, said he learned early in life that he liked the sound of different languages, but his interest really began around age 10, when he asked his Arabic-speaking grandparents to help him improve his skills.


https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/could-this-20-year-old-montreal-polyglot-be-canadas-most-multilingual-student


Job interviews: I woke up early and went to a job interview to be a cleaner.  It was an hour to get there.  2 buses and an LRT.  However, if I get hired, I don't have to go there, but a worker can pick me up and we can carpool together.


After that I went to downtown for this job fair and attended an interview for a restaurant.


I could have asked my dad for a ride, but:

1. The weather was nice.
2. I read the newspaper during it.
3. It was a bit of a challenge and out of my comfort zone to go there.

I went to the job fair and I sat and waited.  I read a bit of the newspaper and finished reading it.  Then I decided to go talk to this guy who was sitting by me.  His name was Nick and he was in online classes for accounting and business at NAIT.

That's a bit out of my comfort zone to talk to a stranger. 

May 28, 2019: I went to Whyte Ave and passed out 10 resumes.  I have applied to:

1. Downtown
2. Jasper Ave
3. 124 St.
4. West Edmonton mall and the west end area
5. Capilano
6. Bonnie Doon

Ep 63: [LOVE] 4 Steps to Call in Your Soulmate w/ Ginger Marie Corwin

1. Self- love: Appreciate who you are as a person.

2. Make peace with the past: Write a letter, but don't send it.  Visualize you cut the chords with this person.

3. Change your story: Identify what you want to believe.

4. Calling in love: What do you like about this person and this relationship.

http://youturnpodcast.libsyn.com/ep-63-love-4-steps-to-call-in-your-soulmate-w-ginger-marie-corwin

UCP wage roll back: Today I found this article in the Metro:


But the United Conservative government’s plan to roll back Alberta’s minimum wage to $13 an hour for students under the age of 18 is, to Lang, especially unfair.
“For me, I kind of find frustration in having a lower minimum wage than my peers, especially when we’re doing the same job,” Lang said.
On top of the minimum wage changes, Bill 2 — or the Open for Business Act — will also change the way overtime is banked for Alberta workers.

The plan announced Monday does make some provisions for students who work full-time during the school year. The rollback for students is only in effect for the first 28 hours a student works in a week while school’s in session. Every hour past those 28, a student must be paid the regular minimum wage of $15 per hour.
My opinion: I don't like how the wages are rolled back for teens.  It should be $15/ hr.  I know this doesn't really affect me, but the workers should all be paid the same.

The UCP probably won because they are going to get rid of the Carbon tax.


https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/2019/05/27/alberta-labour-law-changes-expected-from-united-conservative-government.html

Jun. 1, 2019 "Lower wage sets the stage for student success": Today I found this article by Peter Shawn Taylor in the Globe and Mail.  It gives the counter argument of why the $13/ hr is good:

"Given a choice between seasoned adults and dew-flecked teens – and forced to pay them identical wages – bosses will nearly always opt for experience. At 13.7 per cent, the unemployment rate for teenagers is nearly two-and-a-half times the national average. Last year, the Bank of Canada observed that minimum-wage hikes produce “a significant negative effect for younger workers” (emphasis in original), with workers aged 15 to 19 feeling the brunt of this effect. Teens have the weakest job skills, the lowest output and the least experience. Raising statutory wages beyond their marginal productivity only serves to deny them that crucial first foot in the door."

My opinion: I'm going to copy and paste the whole article in another blog post.

May 29, 2019 "Would you eat fish that was grown in a lab?": Today I found this article by Brittany Meiling in the Star Metro:

I would say yes, I would try it out.

https://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/2019/05/28/would-you-eat-lab-created-fish-this-startup-is-carving-new-path-in-alt-meat-industry.html

What is the cheapest smartphone plan I can get for a month?: I have been using a flip phone since 2010.  It was for work, so I know that whoever calls me is calling me for a job interview.  I may need to get a smart phone.  What is the cheapest smartphone plan I can get for a month?

May 30, 2019 Alberta forest fires: The last few days were warm and sunny.  I was sitting outside and reading the newspaper.  Last night I was listening to the radio and it said about an evacuation.  Today I wake up and it's all smoky outside. 

In the morning, the sky was yellow.  By 4pm, I can see the smoky fog.  The smell was strong.

Chum Around: I found this on Kijiji:


* Note: We are an American company expanding into Canada and this is our first listing in Edmonton. This gives you an opportunity to be top listed as the first local hosts in your city. Welcome! *

Chumaround is currently looking for creative, motivated, friendly people with a positive attitude who would like to show visitors around Edmonton and surrounding areas.

You might meet with people that are on vacation; people that are relocating for work or school; people that are on business trips; and people that simply want to hang out and have fun.

You decide what you'd like to show people; your hourly rate; the days and times when you are available to work; and who you will show around.

Chumaround gives you the platform where you can connect with people visiting or relocating to your city, town, village, or University. You don't need any previous experience, knowledge or skills. You simply need to be ready to share your knowledge of the things you enjoy most in your city and make them feel comfortable.

For example, you can take visitors to your favorite places to shop, eat, and have fun. Show them places to capture amazing photos. Invite them to participate in your favorite hobby (swing dancing, biking, hiking, skiing, snowboarding, singing karaoke, etc.). Offer them tips and tricks to navigate your city or offer to guide them to some fun places that only locals know about.
https://www.chumaround.com/

World of Spas is closing down: They sell hot tubs.

http://www.worldofspas.com/

May 31, 2019 "Americans outraged over praise of little boy's DIY walker: 'This is not awesome...It's a failure of our healthcare'":


Jeffrey Anderson
about a week ago

A little boy in Georgia gained nation-wide recognition on Tuesday when the media caught wind of some local Home Depot workers making a DIY walker for a 2-year-old in need. But just one day after news outlets began reporting on the “sweet” moment, Americans started responding with outrage over how the heartwarming story actually highlights the country’s healthcare and health insurance failures.

Logan Moore is unable to walk on his own because of a medical condition he has, called hypotonia, which affects muscle tone and stability. However, the family is currently dealing with the long process of trying to get their insurance company to approve a walker for the boy, forcing the father to look into other options.
So today a lady and her mother and husband came in telling us that the insurance company may or may not pay for their little boys walker so they went on the internet and found plans to make one out of PVC pipe so my store manager heard about this and we went over to them looked at their plans and said we got this so we started putting it together told the family to go and enjoy ice cream and come back in a hour. Other associates started jumping in and when the family came back it was done. Everyone was crying to see Logan walk around with the biggest smile on his face and when the family tried to pay us we said no way this one is on us. Thank to all that help and for being a blessing to this family and to this little guy.

My opinion: That's good that the Home Depot workers helped a 2 yr old boy walk.  He looks so happy.  Awww...

Jun. 1, 2019: I attended a job fair today.  It started at 10am and then I was 1 of 5 people there.  It was a good interview.  The weather was nice and I read the newspaper on the bus ride.

No comments: