Sunday, April 14, 2019

Little Dog/ mid-season & spring 2019 TV season on CBC


Mar. 2, 2019 Little Dog: This show came out in Mar. 2018 on CBC.

"Five years after quitting a match, boxer Tommy "Little Dog" Ross begins a quest for redemption."

Pros:

1. The cast:

Joel Thomas Hynes- he is the lead Tommy and the creator of the show.  He's good in it.  Also all those tattoos on him are real.  I saw him on Mary Kills People and he has the same tattoos.

I find all the actors on the show to be average.  You got the quirky family members like mom Silvia, the sister Ginny who runs "Love Yourself Mean" seminars like self-help, the dumb brother Lowly Jr., the dad in prison Lowly Sr., and Ginny's 13 yr old Chesley.

2. The story is a redemptive story and there is a clear goal: Tommy quit in the ring.  5 yrs later he gets into a fight outside a bar and wins it.  A kid films it and puts it on the internet.  Tommy then decides to get back in the ring to fight his rival.

3. There are a few funny parts like how Tommy jumps over a fence, but then he ends up hanging upside down.

There is an episode in the first season where Rico has to lose 1 pound in an hr so he can fight Tommy.  He goes and sweats and works out in the sauna.  Tommy comes with food and tempts him to eat the food.  There is a food fight.

In the episode "Round 13", Lowly Jr. and Silvia are talking.

Silvia: Tommy is the black sheep of the family.
Lowly Jr.: That's racist.  All the sheep graze together.

There is good dialogue in the pilot.

Ginny: If you don't have the courage to fight for what you want, you will never get what you want.

I'm going to put that in my inspirational quotes.

Cons:

1. There is profanity.

My opinion: I watched the first season and am watching the second season too.  I find this show to be average.  I don't usually watch sitcoms. I only watched it at first because it reminds me of my TV script The Vertex Fighter because of the lead character being a fighter.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6998202/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Mar. 6, 2019 Cavendish: This show came out Jan. 2019 on CBC.


"Two bickering brothers, one a total slacker, the other a stickler for rules, return to their hometown of Cavendish, Canada to reunite with their estranged father after 30 years. However, weird things keep happening in town."

Pros: 

1.  It stars Andrew Bush from the TV show Street Cents.  I remember how he was complaining on that show.

Bush: The Levi's jeans had yellow lines on the back pockets that don't do anything.  At least with cargo pants, there are big pockets so you can put stuff in them.  C'mon, I used to wear sweatpants up until I was in gr. 9.  I also used to wear suspenders too so people won't pull them down.

I think this ep came out in 1998-1999.

It also has Mark Little.  He's good.  I have never seen him before.

2. The comedy was average in writing.  It is light, fun, and quirky.

3. The line: "The greatest gift you can give to yourself is to let love into your heart."- Garfield.

Cons: None.

My opinion: The pilot was average and then I never watched it again.


https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9031152/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Coroner: This show came out Jan. 2019 on CBC.  It says the show is based on the book series Jenny Cooper.

"A newly appointed coroner investigates a string of mysterious deaths in Toronto."

Pros:

1. There is a good opening with Jenny with her husband.  He dies suddenly.

2. Serinda Swan plays the lead Jenny Cooper. She was on Inhumans.

Roger Cross plays Det. Donovan McAvoy.

There is good acting.

3. Ethnic diversity.

4. There is good writing with the drama, conflict, and tension.

Jenny has to deal with her husband's death and he left some problems for her to solve.

The pilot was about solving a suicide in a juvenile detention centre.  Then later it turns out it may have been a homicide.

Spoiler alert: It turns out the guards were experimenting the drugs on the kids.  They need to get the dosages of their drugs right.

Cons: 

1. There is profanity.

Comparisons: 

It looks like a suicide or an accident, when really it's murder: This happens a lot on TV.

My opinion: The pilot was good and then I never watched it again.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8593252/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Street Legal: This show came out in Mar. 2019 on CBC.  This is a reboot.  I never saw the original because I was too young.


"Olivia Novak returns with a new generation of lawyers in STREET LEGAL, a character-driven legal drama that follows the professional and private lives of a group of ambitious law partners at a startup firm in Toronto. Together, they vigorously fight for their clients while testing the limits of their relationships inside and outside of the courts."

This is on Wikipedia:

Street Legal is a Canadian legal drama television series, which aired on CBC Television from 1987 to 1994 and is slated to return with six new episodes starting March 4, 2019.[1] Street Legal was the longest-running one-hour scripted drama in the history of Canadian television, holding the record for twenty years before being surpassed by Heartland's 125th episode on October 18, 2014.[2]

Pros:

1. It was a good opening with Adam (Steve Lund) looking for someone in the derelict streets at night.  There is an voiceover talking about heroin.

His friends/ co-workers Lilly (Cara Ricketts) and Mina (Yvonne Chapman) help.

2. The cast I listed above is good.  The star is Cynthia Dale is Olivia who was in the original.

It wasn't until a month later, I remembered that I saw her before.  I was looking on TV and saw The Listener on a channel I can't access.  I read the ep description for "Eye of the Storm."  Then I was like: "Wasn't she on Street Legal?"  I was right.

3. There is drama, conflict, and tension as a small law firm/ startup will take down a big pharma company who made these drugs that got patients addicted.  

4. There are good plot twists.

Spoiler alert: The plaintiff overdoses.

5. Ethnic diversity.

6. It looks well-produced.

7. Good dialogue:

Olivia: Don't let other people determine what you can be.

Don't let your friendships get in the way of where you can go.


Cons: None.

My opinion: The pilot was average and I never watched it again.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9138980/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Mar. 10, 2019 Diggstown: This show came out in Mar. 2019 on CBC. 


"DIGGSTOWN follows Marcie Diggs (Vinessa Antoine, Being Erica, Heartland), a star corporate lawyer who reconsiders her priorities after her beloved aunt commits suicide following a malicious prosecution."

Pros:

1. There is a good opening with Willy doing a breathalyzer test and tested for alcohol. His 2 kids are there. 

Then they show Vinessa Antoine as Marcie who is surfing.  There is an R&B song playing.

There is a sign that says: "North Preston, Nova Scotia: Canada's largest black community."

2. The cast:

Vinessa Antoine is a strong character.  She went from corporate lawyer to legal aid.

Natasha Henstridge- is the boss Colleen.  I haven't seen her since the fun action comedy She Spies way back in 2002-2004.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0315064/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_45

Stacey Farber- Ellie from Degrassi is a lawyer.

Dwain Murphy- a corporate lawyer.  He was on the TV show Played.

Shailene Garnett- as the legal aid receptionist.  She was on Between

Brandon Oakes- a lawyer.

All the characters at this legal aid really wants to help people.  They are likable.

There is good acting on Marcie as she deals with the cases and her aunt's death.

2. There is good writing with drama, conflict, and tension.  It seems like Willy was set up with a DUI.  He is a truck driver and needs a clean license to work and provide for his kids.

3. Good ethnic diversity.

Cons: None.

My opinion: The pilot was average and then I never watched it again.

Apr. 6, 2019 AMC: I got my Telus changed.  Now I am unsubscribed to the channel and can't watch Into the Badlands.  I'm kind of annoyed by that.  I like to watch the fight scenes on that show.

I also can't watch the new show A Discovery of Witches.  I'm writing about this so I can get over it and move on.

Apr. 10, 2019 Netflix: Today I went to my friend Cham's new place and watched some episodes I missed.

Quantico: I watched the season 2 ep "Lipstick."  It had gotten deleted off my DVR.  Now I have watched all 3 seasons. 

Frequency: I watched the last half of the 4th ep "Bleed Over" because my DVR only recorded half.

Then I watched the ep "The Edison Effect" because I series recorded the show, but this was not recorded.

This is Us: I also watched the last half of the season 1 ep "Career Days."  My DVR only recorded half of it.


My week:

Apr. 8, 2019 Shopping:

The Mac store on Jasper Ave and 117 St. closed down.

The Denny's restaurant by MacEwan is closed. 

Bru coffee + Beer house: The place closed down.  I have been there a few times.

11965 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB T5K 0P1

Rexall: I was at the Capilano location and asked if they had a store card, like a Shoppers Drug Mart card where everything you buy, you get points.  Then you can redeem the points to buy more stuff there.  They didn't.

London Drugs: I went to their website, and there is a store card there, but it's not good as Shoppers.

Montreal Hot Dogs and Poutine: This restaurant in downtown closed down.  I know it opened in the past 2 yrs:

10503 104 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T5J 0C4

https://www.ldextras.com/About

Apr. 9, 2019 Staples: Today I went there and recycled my pens, batteries, a phone, and a keyboard.

Job search: I then passed some resumes around.

Edmonton Declutter and Organize meetup: They held a few meetups, but I decided to go to it today.  There were 3 women and I all talking about it.  I showed them this book that I found on my dad's shelf.  I was reading it here and there.

I was there for 1hr and 15 min.  We talked about tips or how we organize things.  There books, websites, blogs, and Marie Kondo.  There are a few articles saved into my email and blog account about this topic.  I feel good about going out of my comfort zone a bit, and meeting new people by attending this event.


Apr. 10, 2019 Job interview: Today I went to a job interview.  I was being hired for the downtown location, but the interview was in the west end location.  I got there, and the boss said the woman who was to interview me wasn't here.  She was stuck at the downtown location.

It would be like 40 min. to get to the downtown location, and 1hr to get to the west end.  It was an average interview.

Cham's place: I went to her place after the interview.  I watched Netflix and also picked up her spare keyboard.

Disruption: I was out the whole day.  I also only had 1 cup of coffee.  I always drink more than one.

Apr. 13, 2019 Bonnie Doon mall: 

Shoe Masters: My mom told me that I need to get my winter boots heels fixed. I never looked at the heels, but there were holes in it.  I took the bus there and it was 1pm.  It cost $30 ($31.50 with GST).  There is no extra charge if I wanted it to be done in an hr.  

I read the newspaper and looked around the mall. 30 min. later, I thought they called me on my cell.  I then walked back and it was done well, and the shoes were polished.  I didn't think they were going to do that.

I then checked the # on my cell, and it was the Conservative Party that called me.

Bags and Luggage: This store is closing down by the end of Apr.  I'll add this to Canadian Apparel and Payless Shoe Source that closed down last month.  Does anyone remember that Suzy Shier used to be at this mall?

However, Cannabis Essentials opened.  Makami College will be opening soon. 

College programs: Here are the college programs I'm researching to be an administrative assistant.  Do you find these to be helpful in me getting a job as an administrative assistant?

No comments: