Sunday, January 13, 2019

job interviews/ Kid's Kottage needs donations/ Shy dolls

Nov. 20, 2018 Kiosk sales rep: I went to an interview this month.

Pros:

1. The hours are Thurs. and Fri. 10-2 and Sat. and Sun. 10-4.

2. The pay is $16/ hr and commission.

Cons:

1. The duties seem pretty hard where you have to talk to people who are mostly walking by.  The position is lead generator and to get 8 sales/ appointments booked a day.  It's about promoting steam dry carpet cleaning to customers.

Give them a quote, explain products and sign then up.

The interview questions were really good like:

How do you deal with rejection?

How do you get yourself smiling on a hard day?

What motivates you?

My opinion: It was a 30 min. interview.  I could get to the Westmount and Clareview location, but they weren't hiring for that.  They're hiring 3 people.

I don't really want to work there, because I feel like I'm not going to be good at it.

Senior home interview: This was a telephone interview in Apr. 2018.  It was a kitchen helper position.

Pros:

1. It was full-time.  7am-3pm or 11am-7pm.  1 Sat. or Sun.

2. The pay was $15-19/hr.

Cons: These are mild cons.

1. It was a contract job of 18 months.

2. The schedule changes each week.

My opinion: At the time I was working at my first restaurant job and I didn't want a contract job.

Registry agent: I went to this interview in Apr. 2018.

Pros:

1. It's part-time to full-time.  Mon. -Fri.  9am-6pm.  Sat. 10-5.  2-3 Sat. a month.

2. The pay was $13.60/hr.  

3. The duties are getting driver's licence, write exams, IDs, pictures, vehicle registrations, etc.

The summer time is busy, the begin and end of the month.

Cons:

1. It seems very hard and busy.  

My opinion: They were hiring 2 people.  I don't know if I would be good at it.  The woman did give me the link to the website to learn:

https://aaratraining.skillbuilder.co/

https://aaratraining.skillbuilder.co/catalog



Description

The job of a Registry Agent involves a lot of knowledge regarding driver licensing, motor vehicle registration, the Corporate Registry, the Alberta Private Property Registry and Vital Statistics. It takes time and training to acquire all of the knowledge needed to be a well-rounded professional. This course is designed to equip new Registry Agents, or someone preparing to work in a registry office, with enough knowledge to perform some of the more basic services offered by Alberta Registries, allowing them to begin their careers and their training on a firm basis.
This course includes a general competency exam.

Description



This lesson will provide Registry Agents with a general understanding of the roles and responsibilities of being a Registry Agent. Students will learn specific administrative tasks that they will be conducting on a daily basis and how to deal with these tasks efficiently and effectively. This lesson will also help Registry Agents ensure they comply with the policies and procedures and regulations that govern the operations of a Registry Agency.
The Basic General Registries Certificate exam is based on all 12 of the Basic Lessons. There is not a separate exam for each Basic Lesson.
The student must be employed by a registry agent and have been granted access to RAnet to write this exam.
Course Updated: February 2018


Appointment setter: I went to this interview in May 2018.

Pros:

1. It was 2 buses to get there.

2. It was good hours Tues-Thurs. 1-5pm.  Fri. off.

3. The pay is $15/hr.  I set appointments on the phone, and if the sales person goes to the place, and makes a sale, I get 5% of the sale.

Cons: 

1. I have to find the leads, and cold call businesses.  There are leads in the system.

This reminds me of that Phone Sales Rep job I did for 1 day in Jan. 2018 and I quit.  That one was 100% commission.  This one I get paid $15/hr, but it's hard.

My opinion: After I went to the interview, I wanted to work there because it was a call centre.  Now I'm writing about it, and I wouldn't work there.  If I do work there, I'm not good at finding leads. 

Seafood production: I went to an interview in May 2018.

Pros:

1. It was a bus and LRT to get there.

2. The hours are Mon. -Fri. 7am-12pm.

3. The pay is $15-16/hr.

4. The duties are scraping meat, grind, cleaning, slicing, and packaging.

Cons: 

1. This is a mild con, but I'm not that interested.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  I don't think I would be good at, but I would at least try it. 

Nov. 23, 2018 East Indian restaurant: I went to an interview this month.

Pros:

1. It was in downtown.

2. The restaurant is full-service so there are tips.

3. The cook was really nice.  When I got there, he offered me a few pieces of these deep fried cheese sticks.  It was good.

4. The boss was average.

5. The hours are daytime.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.

My week:

Jan. 6, 2018 Work: Today it was quiet with 12 customers.

E- the new server quit or got fired.  He worked for a couple of days.  He was to come to work when I was there, but I never met him.

M- she is a server who got hired in summer 2018.  Now she quit.

I'm sure some of you guys are like: "There are a lot of turnovers." 

West Edmonton mall: This was in Dec. 2018.  I was passing my resumes there.

1. Royal Doulton- It closed down.  It sold dishware.

2. Flip Flop shop- it closed down.  I went to an interview here a few years ago.

3. Jugo Juice- there used to be 2 locations, and now 1.

4. The Soap Bakery- this is a kiosk.  They sell soap in shapes of cupcake. 

Jan. 7, 2018 Job search: Today I went to a job interview at West Edmonton mall.  It takes an hour to get there so I made the trip worthwhile.

The interview was 15 min. long.  I then passed 20 resumes in the mall.  I also visited my work so I can pick up my Christmas party ticket, but I had to pick it up later.

Kid's Kottage needs donations: Today I found this article by Nick Lees in the Edmonton Journal:

Fraser said statistics last year show 79.73 per cent of their children who stayed at the Kottage had witnessed family violence; 14.58 per cent had experienced physical abuse; 22.18 per cent had experienced mental abuse and 5.7 per cent had experienced sexual abuse.
“All forms of abuse are trauma that impacts brain development,” said Fraser. “In 2017, we admitted 1,066 children and turned away 1,276. Most of our clients are single parents (76.37 per cent) and more than half are Indigenous (53.7 per cent). They lack the supports many of us take for granted and have no one to turn to.”
It costs Kids Kottage $1.3 million annually to operate and the shelter relies on the community to raise more than half that amount.
Fraser said Kids Kottage would love to be able to devote more efforts towards increasing capacity to support and strengthen Edmonton-area families. It would also like to increase its supplementary programs to help families dealing with issues that cause their trouble.
“But we find ourselves constantly scrambling to meet out financial needs rather than planning for the future,” she said. “Ideally, a predictable, sustainable source of funding from all levels of government would allow us to expand out programs to meet the need in our community.”
Kids Kottage, at 10107 134 Ave., urgently needs such items as warm winter clothing, long-sleeved shirts, diapers, pants, winter socks of all sizes, large bibs, hair detangler and brushes, new bath toys and craft sets for older children.
https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/columnists/nick-lees-kids-kottage-needs-stable-funding-to-keep-helping-thousands-of-edmonton-families-in-crisis

Jan. 8, 2019 Labels at Bonnie Doon mall is closing: by Jan. 23, 2019. They sell men and women's casual clothes.

New Year's Eve 2007: I wrote about this before and asked: "Were there any New Year's Eve that was memorable?"

I got a flashback of the time I went to Angela's house for the first time.  I gave her a Christmas card.  Her living room was filled with Christmas decorations. 

Shy dolls: She had a doll that faces the wall.  Her parents bought it.  The doll looks like this:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=the+doll+that+faces+the+wall&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=GM_ysS-keNW8DM%253A%252Ca1X39Lf2z0blEM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kRKTKiXHoryNAQoeZPJtICCjFZJPQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjf7db9rt_fAhUEHzQIHc0xAIYQ9QEwAHoECAUQBA#imgrc=GM_ysS-keNW8DM:

Here are some funny comments:

snarfinator8 ptsDec 26 2014
I have played enough horror games to know where this is going.
Reply

Dracotrapnet4 ptsDec 26 2014
I hate those in yards. I'm always thinking someone's child got out and is roaming a yard and might get hurt.

QuarterLifeCrisis113 ptsDec 26 2014
This is why I always pack heat goin' to grandma's house.
https://imgur.com/gallery/08FUs
Jan. 9, 2019 MadTV: I know about this doll because it was on this TV show where Michael McDonald was talking to the audience.  This was in 2007.
McDonald: I recently became a father.  
The audience applauds.
McDonald: I'm going to bring my kid out.
It's the doll.

Jan. 10, 2019 Busy: I got called in to work at my 2nd restaurant job.  It's the one where I worked from 2015-2017.  I was then let go and then became the on- call worker who gets called in 3 times a year to work.  I worked 10am-2pm.  It was very busy.

Then I took a bus to my other job that starts at 3pm-9pm.  There was a bit of a break before I start.

Jan. 11, 2019 The highlight of the week: 

Job interviews: I went to 3 job interviews at 3 restaurants.  I got 5 call backs because this is the first full work week in Jan. after the holidays. 

Work: I worked a lot this week.

CBC TV shows: It's mid-season and I checked out some new shows.

The Coroner: The pilot was good, and then I never watched it again

A newly appointed coroner investigates a string of mysterious deaths in Toronto. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8593252/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Cavendish: The pilot was average.  It's a sitcom.  I never watched it again.

Mark (Mark Little) and Andy (Andy Bush) haven't been back to Cavendish since their parents split up almost 30 years ago. They grew up in Toronto with their mom and had little contact with their dad, Rollie, outside of the occasional Christmas phone call. Mark never seemed to mind - a nice gift and the rare compliment were always enough to sustain him - but Andy never got over the wound of rejection. Now, Mark and Andy are back in Cavendish to take care of their ailing father, and they're finding that Cavendish is...not like other towns. Weird things happen here - creepy things the townspeople seem to take in stride. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9031152/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Burden of Truth: I saw the season 2 premiere.

Big city lawyer Joanna Hanley returns to her hometown to take the case of a group of girls suffering from a mysterious illness. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6987476/?ref_=rvi_tt

Jan. 12, 2018 Sleeping surgeon Lou Shanpeng:

In the middle of the surgery, Lou said he squatted against the table and briefly closed his eyes after the patient was administered general anesthesia and needed to keep his arm from touching any surface till the cast on it had dried up. Also, the arm needed to be kept in an uplifted state to keep blood circulating in that arm. Hence, the surgeon essentially had nothing more to do at that point in the surgery but to wait it out.
“I wanted to shut my eyes and have a rest. I didn't expect to fall asleep,” he said. "I originally wanted to close my eyes and rest. Who knows that I fell asleep.”
His sixth surgery lasted for nearly eight hours. The picture was taken at 4 a.m. local time (3 p.m. EST, Jan. 3) on Jan. 4.

No comments: