Thursday, June 21, 2018

job interviews/ charity news

Apr. 25, 2018 Healthy restaurant job interview: In Mar. 2018, I did an interview there.

Pros:

1. It was in downtown.

2. The hours are 3pm-6pm on weekdays, so I can work at my 1st restaurant job in the morning and come to work here after.

3. The pay is min. wage with tips every 2 weeks like $20-30.

4. I can do the job of clean coffee machines, dishes, sweeping and mopping.  It's for closing.

The computer/ till does look easy to use.

5. I can still have work-life balance.

Cons:

The boss did say she was a stickler for being clean.  I may not be able to meet up to her standards.

My opinion: The boss seemed very nice.  She reminded me of the dishwasher N at my 1st restaurant job.  N is Muslim and wears a hijab, and the boss didn't.  They both had the same accent.

Catering company job interview: In Mar. 2018, I did an interview there.

Pros:

1. It was 2 buses to get there, but they come often.  

2. The hours are weekdays like 9am-3pm.  It can lead to full-time.

3. The pay is $13.60-$15/hr.  Every 4 months there are tips like $75 on paycheck.

4. Free meal at work.

5. I can do the job like weigh the meats and put them between sandwich paper.  (I did that at my 2nd restaurant job.)  

I can wash dishes there.  They make sandwiches too.

Cons: 

The mild con was that after the bus stop, I had to walk 10 min. to the company.  

My opinion: The boss did say that my resume looked good because I had been working at my 1st restaurant job for years.  He mentions that there are resumes with 6 jobs and it's only 3 or 4 months.

However, I want to say my resume has looked like that because I can only work during the summer and not during the school year.

Big coffee restaurant job interview: I did an interview in Apr. 2018.  I did a 15 min. phone interview and then went in person.

Pros:

1. It was in downtown.

2. The pay is min. wage with tips.

3. I can make sandwiches and wraps.

Cons:

1. One of the bosses there didn't speak English very well.

2. The shift starts at 6:30am.  I had to wake up at 5am.  I always wake up at 6am so I can get to work.  

My opinion: I know there is a high chance I would not like the job.  I would still work there because I'm getting paid.


Fast food place job interview: I did an interview there in Apr. 2018.



Pros:



1. It was in downtown.

2. The pay was min. wage with some tips depending on how many hours you work.

3. Free meal at work.

4. It was part-time in the day time.

5. I can do the job of cutting up vegetables and food prep.

Cons:

None.


My opinion: The job seemed average.

Jun. 7, 2018 Downtown food counter job: I did an interview here a couple of weeks ago.

Pros:

1. It was in downtown.

2. The pay is $13.60.  There are daily tips.  The food discount is 50% off.  Free coffee.

3. The hours are Mon.-Fri. 8am-2pm.

4. I can do the job of food prep like cut vegetables and handle cash.  You have to make cafĂ© lattes, but you can press the button on the espresso machine so it's not too hard.  

Cons: None.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  However, I feel kind of "eh" about it, like I'm not really that interested in it.


Miscellaneous jobs: When you look for a job, you can't attend every interview.  You may get a call back, and they tell you info about the job over the phone.  Then you can decide if you want to go to the interview.


Lawn company: In Mar. 2018, I got a call from them and I called them back.



The phone sales rep position.



Pros:



1. It was phones.  I like call centres.

2. It was $15/hr and bonus for sales.  The goal is sell 8-10 programs a week.

3. The hours are good like Mon-Fri. 1-9pm.  Sat. 10-2.

Cons:

1. It's telemarketing and I have done it before.  I didn't sell anything and was dismissed.  I'm not good at selling over the phone, but I can get people to do surveys over the phone.

My opinion: I didn't go to the interview.



Services company: In Apr. 2018, I got a call on my cell phone.  I looked up the number and then I called back.  I left one message one day.  I left another message the second day.

I then called again and got the receptionist.  She said they had already hired someone for that position.

However, when I looked closer, it seemed like the place was out of town.

Jun. 7, 2018 Accessories store: I got a phone interview with them.  They said they will call back for an in-person interview.  They asked the questions:

Do you have sales experience?

Do you to hit sales targets?

If you don't hit the sales targets, why not?

Asian restaurant: I passed my resume to them a yr ago.  They then called me.  However, they said they were looking to hire people to work in the evenings.  They were open in the daytime.

Energy company: This is a phone sales rep job.  I did an interview in May.

1. It was in downtown.

2. It was a call centre job.

3. I don't have to look for my own leads.

Cons:

1. It was 100% commission.  It was like that phone sales rep job back in Jan. 2018.  It's also like Telemarketer #3 job in Feb. 2018.  At least Telemarketer #3 actually pays you by the hour, even if you don't sell anything.

http://badcb.blogspot.com/2018/06/is-rally-attendance-cause-for-dismissal.html

My opinion: I don't want to work there, because I know I will not be good at it.


My week:


Jun. 15, 2018 Charity news:

"Dairy queen operator finds win-win in inclusive hiring": Today I found this article by David Staples in the Edmonton Journal:


The path to businessman Mike Liber’s success in hiring people with mental disabilities started with his realization that your average teenager is woefully mediocre when it comes to cleaning up restaurant tables.

Libe, 54, runs two Dairy Queen restaurants in Sherwood Park. He employs 100 workers, about 40 of them high school teens.

Liber’s solution was to find the right people for the clean-up job. He’s done that by hiring workers with mental disabilities. He’s had many on staff long term, most of them on clean-up, but one of them working the cash register and another doing daily food prep, cutting up all the vegetables for the day.
Liber doesn’t try to force them into jobs they can’t do, but has them focus on work that suits them.
“I need specific people to do specific tasks,” he says. “Other Dairy Queen operators phone me and go, ‘How do you afford them?’ I say, ‘I need them. I can’t afford not to have them. It’s a part of my business and I can’t get someone to do it.’”

 "Working Warriors helps former young offenders get back on track toward successful career": Today I found this article by Dustin Cook in the Edmonton Journal:

Nine teens and young adults are in their seats in the basement of Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society by 9 a.m. Monday, ready for class to begin.
Outside the front door is a warning that it will close promptly when the clock hits nine and if locked out, any tardy student will miss out.
But Edmonton Police Service community and youth services manager Michelle Fillion says students showing up late hasn’t been a problem because this program is unique.
“It’s unexplainable, but there’s some magic in it.”


The kids are part of the Working Warriors Program — a two-year pilot project run through Service Canada with the goal of re-integrating youth into their communities through full-time employment or education.
The program is a partnership between Bent Arrow, an Indigenous non-profit that works with Aboriginal children, youth and families, and city police, developed when both recognized a gap in services for some young people that police came into contact with.


 "Companies donate 2 new Habitat for Humanity homes": Today I found this article by Dustin Cook in the Edmonton Journal:
Work: This worker B quit.  She has been here for like a year.  She moved back home out of town for her family.

Jun. 16, 2018 Go to the library for dvds: Yesterday I was talking to my friend A at the bus stop.  He said something about going to the library and get dvds.  I then thought: "I should check out for Once Upon a Time season 6 and that Quantico ep 'Lipstick' that I missed."

I spent some time looking for it on the website and I don't see it.  Maybe I have to go there in person and ask for help.

Jun. 17, 2018 Lookalikes:

Justin Kern: I was reading the Globe and Mail and I saw this guy who is a fashion designer:

Hunter Parrish: I thought he looked like him.  He played Clay Haas in the Quantico:

Jun. 20, 2018 Allison Mack sex cult: It was a couple of months ago when I was reading the National Post in the Edmonton Journal.  It was about a cult.  Then I see the name Allison Mack who played the reporter friend Chloe on Smallville.

Here is the article.  You may be angry, depressed, and in a bad mood after reading this.



My opinion: I thought it was weird.  Mack went from actor to being in a cult.  I never really looked her up on the internet so I don't know her.

J Mack Slaughter: He is an actor on the WB sitcom Like Family in 2003-2004.  Then the show ended.  It was in 2011 I found him on Facebook and became Facebook friends with him.  He has quit acting and became a doctor.

I have saw him on one interview when he was on the Sharon Osbourne show.  


The Principle of Population: I was reading the Black Panther movie review and it mentioned Thomas Robert Malthus's essay "The Principle of Population."
Christ Moet: I met this guy at a social event a couple of months ago.  He told me he's an artist and you can check out his art here:

My favorite is Brickley Bear- the mascot for the furniture store the Brick.


Jun. 21, 2018 The highlight of the week:

Job interviews: I did one interview at a dental office and a admin assistant job at a cleaning company.

Good weather: It was really nice and warm for the week so I sat outside and read the news.

Also I cut down on TV because I wanted to be outside and read.

No comments: