Sunday, March 2, 2014

mental health/ sexual harassment/ heroin happy meals



Feb. 15 Mental health: I see in the Metro on Jan. 31, 2014, an ad for Bell.  Bell created a campaign where for every call, tweets, text message sent, 5 cents will be donated to mental health programs.  They raised $5, 472, 585.90.

Feb. 16 Sexual harassment: I was reading in the Metro on Oct. 25, 2013 “Vancouver women share their transit horror tales.”  Katie Nordgren and classmate Alexa Dredge started the project because she didn’t feel safe taking the public transit.  There are some severe things like death threats.

Translink Spokeswoman Anne Drennan say about sexual harassment: “Taken very seriously,” but it’s rarely reported.  “If we don’t hear about it, we can’t investigate it.”

UBC: Also in the Metro on Oct. 25, 2013 “UBC steps up safety measures after sex assaults.”   They are putting more emergency meetings to alert students, hand out whistles, more lighting, more late-night safe walks, warning women to not walk alone, running ads on campus buses, etc.  There have been three reported sex assaults.

My opinion: That’s good that UBC is adding more safety out there.

Fake interpreter: I want to add more about Thamsanqu Jantji, the fake sign language interpreter at Nelson Mandela’s funeral.  I was reading in the Metro on Nov. 17, 2013 “Friends say fake signer was part of murder mob.”  Jantji is among a group of men who got two men killed after the two men stole a TV.  The mob burned the 2 men to death by setting fires placed around their necks.

Jantjie didn’t go to trial because he was not mentally fit to stand trial.  Jantjie said it was “mob justice.”  He was institutionalized for a year and then lived in his poor neighborhood.  He started getting jobs as a sign language interpretation at events for the governing African National Congress Party.

My opinion: When I first saw him signing, I was watching a little bit of Chinese TV news.  My grandma was watching it and I thought he was a sign language interpreter.  I watched a few seconds and then went downstairs.  The next day I read the Metro that he was fake.

I was kind of mad about it because I was duped.  I bet a lot of people were duped if they don’t know sign language.  The South Africa Government and Obama’s security were mad that they let this fake guy on this big important event.

Feb. 17 Heroin happy meals: I was reading the Metro on Jan. 30, 2014.  An employee at a McDonald’s in Pittsburgh was charged with selling heroin in those Happy Meals.  The code was “I’d like to order a toy.”  An informant told the police about it.  The employee is Shania Dennis, 26.  There were 10 bags of heroin in a Happy Meal box and 50 bags from a suspect.

My opinion: This is nothing to laugh about, but it’s kind of funny.

Sex slavery: I was reading the Metro on Jan. 30, 2014  about how Edmonton police officers spent 2 days on the Operation Northern Spotlight on Jan. 22 and 23.  They interviewed women and girls and how they got involved in the sex industry, and learned more information about clients and pimps.

Whisper App: I found this through Post Secret.  The App you could use to post about anything and your whereabouts to other users that are nearby so you can meet up.

“Ronald Peterson III, 21, of Lynwood, Wash., told detectives he used Whisper to communicate with the underage girl, Seattle Fox affiliate Q13 reported earlier this month. Their online relationship reportedly began in September, when Peterson started messaging with the girl. He claimed he was 21 years old, and she said she was 14, according to police.”


Megan is Missing: This was months ago when I was reading comments on a Criminal Minds episode.  Someone mentioned this movie.

“Fictional drama based on actual events, about 2 teen-age girls who encounter an internet predator.”

I saw the trailer and it had this kind of mockumentary style to make it look real.


Johnny Got His Gun: There is a 1971 version, and a 2008 version starring Ben McKenzie (The OC).  Writing about this movie does fit in my news email because it’s about war.

  
"The story of a young American soldier hit by an artillery shell on the last day of the First World War. The film takes place in the mind of a quadruple amputee who has also lost his eyes, ears, nose, and mouth. Regaining consciousness, 20 year-old Joe Bonham slowly discovers that while his brain is healthy and able to reason, the rest of his body is irreparably shattered, leaving him forever trapped within the confines of his own imagination. He struggles valiantly to find some way to communicate with the outside world. Tapping his head in Morse code he breaks through and pleads with his caretakers to be put on display as a living example of the cost of war." -Written by Wesley Horton


Feb. 19 Rape: Here are some celebrity examples.

Rick Ross: He is a rapper.  I was reading an article about him in Nov. 15, 2013 in Metro.  He made a reference to date rape on a song.  Later he was dropped as a spokesman for Reebok because of it.  Here is his apology:

“To the young men who listen to my music, please know that using a substance to rob a woman of her right to make a choice is not only a crime, it’s wrong and I do not encourage it.”

My opinion: I accept his apology and I like how it was worded.  I only know him because he has worked on some songs with artists I like as in Danity Kane and Robin Thicke.

Sarah Silverman: I was reading “Sex scene ‘a wake-up call’, comic actress says” in the Edmonton Journal on Nov. 23, 2013.

"I've had experiences in my life ... I had a brutal sex scene in something that (before the shoot) I was looking around going, 'Is there gonna be a board or something between us?' " she told Stern, saying her co-star was naked.

"It fell on deaf ears and the next thing I knew it was happening. It hurt to walk for days ... (I expected) someone would have thought beforehand and protected me in some way."

Silverman said: "He is completely naked except for not even the thickness of a sock... He's not even a real actor, he's an extra. And he's smashing me ... in the scene.

"It felt very violating. It made me realize I'm a very strong woman and this happened to me. It's not rape but it was kind of a wake-up call."

But despite her many rape jokes, she said women have not asked to put the controversial jokes on ice.
"I haven't ... I've had violating experiences that make me go, 'Whoa'," she said.

"I never take rape lightly. I talk about the most brutal, upsetting, traumatic things and that's one of them."


Madonna: Did you know that Madonna was raped?  I didn’t know that until I was reading the newspaper a few weeks ago.  Here’s her story.

No comments: