Sunday, March 9, 2014

business news/ Mark Zuckerberg/ female pilot



Feb. 26: I’m always thinking about one thing in only one way.  For example, I go on the internet and look for a job and apply to it.  Let’s be creative.  I’m going to write about some news that is regarding business or world events.  I’m also at the same time going to think about how I can solve a problem and maybe create a job.

Business news:

Notables: It was weird.  I see that Tin Box closed down on 124 street.  Then I see Shambles closed down.  I then thought: “What next?  Notables?”  I read in the Metro on Feb. 25, 2014 that it’s closing down.  The store sells stationary and pens.  The owner Suzanne Davis is retiring.

It’s going to have a big sale starting mid-April and it will close down by the end of May.

Entrepreneur: It then made me think about owning my own business.  I had thought about making and selling jewelry.  I could sell them at Farmer’s markets in the summer time.  It’s easier than opening a store where you have to pay rent and electricity, hire staff, payroll, etc.

However, if I open a jewelry business, there is still a lot of planning.  Are you going to sell them online?  Make your own jewelry or hire someone?  How about the materials it will cost to make it?

Pizza Hut: I was reading in the Metro on Feb. 21, 2014 called “Pizza Hut and nothing but?  Well, maybe not.”  A West Virginia Pizza Hut restaurant has closed down indefinitely after a district manager was caught peeing in the sink on a video camera.  It happened off business hours in a food preparation area.  They fired him.

My opinion: It’s a good thing they fired him.  It’s also good to close down the restaurant, because if people knew that the restaurant was still open, then people would stop going to Pizza Hut.  Though I’m sure a lot of people will stop going there anyway after this news.

It’s too bad about the other staff that have lost their jobs because of the district manager.  Maybe the staff will get other jobs at other Pizza Huts.  

Australia: I was reading in the Metro on Feb. 11, 2014 that Toyota is going to stop making cars there by the end of 2017.  It costs a lot to make cars there.

Mark Zuckerberg: I also read in the Metro on Feb. 11, 2014 that “Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan, were the most generous American philanthropists in 2013, with a donation of $18 million shares of Facebook stock, valued at more than $970 million US, to a Silicon Valley non-profit in December.”

The Chronicle of Philanthropy says: “The top 50 contributors made donations last year totaling $7.7 billion US, plus pledges of $2.9 billion US.”

Red Light Secrets: I read this in the Metro on Feb. 6, 2014.  This is the Museum of Prostitution in Amsterdam.  It was in the business section.  Here’s the website:

http://www.redlightsecrets.com/

Perttu Saksa: I was reading the Metro on Nov. 18. 2013 called “The terror of the monkey’s mask.”  He is a Finnish photographer who takes pictures of “Indonesia’s chilling world of dancing monkeys- macaque monkeys clad in dolls’ masks and children’s clothes, trained to behave like humans and then sent out onto the streets to beg for money.”

The photos are kind of disturbing and dark.

http://m.metro.us/philadelphia/news/international/2013/11/18/photos-chilling-images-of-indonesias-street-performing-monkeys/

http://www.perttusaksa.com/

My opinion: I don’t know.  Maybe he could get PETA or another animal charity to stop training monkeys to act like humans.

Death websites: I was reading the Metro on Jan. 7, 2014.  

www.deathclock.org -is a website where you put in your age, country you live in, diet and will predict when you will die.  I checked it out.

www.deathtimer.org –it’s the same as above.

www.deathlist.net –it’s where they compile a list of celebrities dying.

My opinion: Maybe create a fun website.

Dennis Rodman: I read this in the Metro on Jan. 9, 2014 about how Dennis Rodman sand happy birthday to North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un.  They also played a friendly game of basketball.  It mentions how Rodman refuses to help the 45 yr old Kenneth Bae who is in a North Korean jail.

My opinion: I don’t know if Rodman is trying to get himself in the news by going to North Korea.  He seems to have created a job where he is like a media liason for Jong-Un.

Thailand: I read in the Metro on Feb. 25, 2014 called “Grenade attack in Thailand kills two young children.”  The father Tayakorn Yos-ubon says: “I’m asking and pleading to every side to let my children be the last case (of violence) on Thai soil.”  His 4 yr old son Korowit and 6 yr old daughter Patcharkorn were in a ‘tuk-tuk’ taxi with their 9 yr old cousin when the attack happened on a busy intersection by the protesters.

A 5 yr old girl died on Saturday in another attack.  The 9 yr old cousin is suffering from brain and lung damage and he’s in intensive care.

My opinion: That is so sad.  How do I prevent war?  How to prevent violent protests?  Maybe you can’t, but you can have police try to control protests.

Rob Ford: I was reading in the Metro on Feb. 11, 2014 “Ford ‘didn’t want to tell the truth’ about drug use.”   He says he was “…embarrassed.  I didn’t want to tell the truth.  That’s the only answer I can give.  That’s as straightforward as I can be.”

My opinion: Yeah, I’m sure we have all said or done something that we were embarrassed to admit.  You know like getting a bad mark on an assignment or test.  

Operation Angry Birds: I was reading in the Metro on Feb. 11, 2014 and this title sounds funny.  It’s about “Cockfighting raids in NY.”  More than 3000 birds were rescued with the help of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the Ulster County Sheriff office.

My opinion: I do want to work at a charity and help people.  In the above case, it was more about a charity helping animals.

Saint Mary: I was reading in the Metro on Jan. 29, 2014.  “10 Saint Mary’s football players suspended over ‘unacceptable’ tweets.”  There were these sexist and racist tweets that an online publication by the University of King’s College School of Journalism made it public.

My opinion: Well it’s good that the school suspended them.  How do I prevent these tweets?  I’m sure people who knows about this news, will learn that they can be suspended or lose their jobs because of these inappropriate tweets.

Mar. 4 Female pilot: I was reading in the Metro today “Passenger’s sexist note sends veteran pilot’s anger sky-high.”  “David” left a note on Flight No. 463 saying: “No place for a woman” and that West Jet should tell him that “a fair lady is at the helm, so I can book another flight.”

Carrie Stacey is a pilot for 17 yrs and says: “I respectfully disagree with your opinion that the ‘cockpit’ (we now call it the flight deck as no c***s are required) is no place for a lady.  In fact, there are no places that are not for ladies anymore.”

“I just couldn’t believe there are still people in this country that think like that.  It just shocked me.”
The spokesman Robert Palmer says: “We take enormous pride in the professionalism, skills and expertise of our pilots and this note is very disappointing.”

Mar. 6 Forbes: I was reading in the Metro on Mar. 4, 2014 about the Forbes world’s billionaire’s list.  “A record number of women made the list this year, with 172 women joined the list, up 25% from last year.”

No comments: