Monday, January 23, 2012

job search/ fiduciary/ job interview tip

Jan. 17 Job search:

Bank: I called the bank to see if they made a decision. They called back and said I didn't get hired. I asked if they will forward my resume to other locations. They said no, because they didn't hire me at this location, and they won't forward it to the others. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get hired. I'm more disappointed that they wouldn't pass my resume to other places.

Sales associate: Today was my day off and I did an interview at this computer store. I took 2 buses to get there. The interview was average, and I stumbled on the question about what I like to do for fun. I said reading and writing, but I was thinking I should add something about computers. I added reading on the internet.

The place seems like an alright place to work at. It's kind of far, but it's a safe place to take the bus. There are lots of stores and restaurants around. It's $11/hr and full-time. I have to work 1 weekend day a week. I can still work at the restaurant on the weekends. You can get commission. These are the pros.

He did ask me if this interests me. I'm not putting obstacles in front of myself, but I said I did have a couple more interviews. It's true, I did.

The cons were that I'm looking more for an office job. I do know if I take this job and work at the restaurant one or two days a week, I can make more money. It just did not totally interest me. Yeah, well that dental assistant job didn't totally interest me in the duties, but I knew it was a step up in my career. Retail is moving sideways.

Imagine getting hired. How do you feel? Indifferent. No disrespect to the company.

Crazy trip: There's a little bit of a crazy trip getting home. When I got off the bus to go into the interview, I was told to take one of three buses to get back to the transit centre. It was by a restaurant. After the interview, I went and looked for the bus stop and didn't see any. I went into a Chinese restaurant and a waitress directed me that there's a bus stop at this other restaurant a block away. Fortunately I didn't have to wait long for a bus. It was like -20 today.

Banking: After the interview, I went and deposited a check. I noticed the bank wasn't really busy. I was thinking about opening a savings account for about a month. I didn't open one because I was busy with my office job search and interviews. I waited a few min. and then I went in and talked to this guy who worked there. He spent an hr giving me a lesson about mutual funds, saving accounts, interests, inflation, and investing.

I learned a lot and will have to study the sheets he printed out for me. I do read the business section of the newspaper everyday, but I learned quite a lot from him.

Fiduciary: I was watching Desperate Housewives last night, and Gabby needs to wine and dine these two investors. Gabby gets Lynette to teach her about finance in a few hours.

Gabby: Not everybody knows what the word fiduciary means.
Lynette gets her 12 yr old daughter Penny to come over.
Lynette: What does fiduciary mean?
Penny: I think it means to give money to someone else and you trust them to manage your money.

I went on dictionary.com:

Law . a person to whom property or power is entrusted for the benefit of another.

The guy at the bank said the word fiduciary. lol. Anyway, back to the show. Gabby acted like she wasn't worried about the meeting. She thought she could throw in a few buzzwords around and get the investors. Lynette was telling her that it's important to know the meaning of the words. I have to agree with Lynette. I would be stressed and studying really hard to learn.

Jan. Call Centre #4: I did the job interview today. Back in 2010, I mainly got a call to come in. He had read my resume and hired me, and I was to go into training. There wasn't an interview in 2010.

This time, there was an interview. He didn't say anything like: "Wait a second, have you been here before?" I don't think he recognized me. If he later thought I did work here before, he would and look up my name on his computer and there may have been a file that I worked there for a day.

The questions were like: "Where did you hear about us? Why did you apply here? How do you feel about not meeting performance expectations? What examples have you done to meet performance expectations in school and work?"

It pays $11/hr, and has company benefits. I can work there full-time, and work at the restaurant one day a week. I'll try part-time first, for awhile to see how working at both jobs work out. I can work at the call centre at night.

This is kind of like that computer store interview. If I take the call centre job, then I'm moving sideways in my career. However, the call centre is closer and easier to get to than the computer store. I'm more interested in working at the call centre.

EI: It's been a couple of hours since I wrote the above. I should start working as much as I can at the call centre. There isn't really good job security there, so I should work as much hours as I can to qualify to get EI if the place closes down.

Jan. 19 Callbacks: Yesterday the dentist called, and I didn't get the dental assistant position. That's okay. He said he will keep my resume in case the people don't work out. I thought he seemed to be a nice and friendly guy to work for.

The sales associate/ receptionist position didn't call back. I'm not really that interested in working there, so that's fine.

Jan. 20 Job interview: I did an interview at an office. It's temporary for a few months, but it's still good to put that on my resume. I can work there on the weekdays and work at the restaurant on the weekends. I go to the place early, because I've never been there before. I went shopping at a furniture store. I sat on some chairs like Goldilocks in Goldilocks and the Three Bears. lol. Now I'm thinking about that TV show Once Upon a Time about fairytale characters in the real world. They haven't done that fairytale yet.

I get to the office 25min early. I sat in the waiting room and read this financial advertisement. I did the interview, and it was 10min long. One of them asked a bit about my restaurant. They also asked if it sounded like something I'm interested in. I said yes. They did ask if it's hard to get to the office. I said no.

Job interview tip: I learned this from the job interview book Interview Skills that Win the Job by Michael Spiropoulos: Don't mention if it's easy or hard to get to work, because it has nothing to do with how you actually do your job.

Good tip, but I have a counter argument about that. I remember reading an article from Job Boom or some other newspaper, that nearly 50% of people have once not come to work because they didn't want to do the commute. I have done lots of interviews and people have asked if I have a car, and if it's easy to get to this location.

Commute tips: I do remember reading an article about how to enjoy your commute to work. Listen to music, or a book when driving. Or when you're on the bus, do those activities or read a book or newspaper.

Bookstore: I also went into a discount bookstore. It was closing down. It wasn't the Wee Book Inn, but it smelt like it. I'm sure you guys are laughing. Old books all smell the same when you put all of them in one room.

6 comments:

Hildegard Flatley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hildegard Flatley said...

The thing I like most in this article is that you have written it as a proper article to find job. The heading you given are very fruitful for me helpful link and surely, I’ll refer this article to my friends because it can assist them too.

click to explore said...

This is a very beautiful site to visit. I know this is the best for me and this will be the best for us when you need this. I always thinking about this. And keep sharing like this post. Best of luck.

click to explore said...

This kind of blog is look like so simple. but the maintain of this is so haed work. If you have one then you know the fact why I tell like this. I have also like this one. So I can tell how hard work this is.

Anonymous said...

Such a decent blog entry, This is the course article for the Christian and you outline this find more information with the best way. I have no words to portray the brightness of this article.

Anonymous said...

Such a good blog post, I endeavor to know this answer yet I couldn't found the response to this demand. This find more info is enormously so troublesome and I like this test in light of the path that without the test the life is dull and draining.