Friday, June 11, 2010

Telus/ money/ risk question


FRIDAY, JUNE 11, 2010

Telus/ money/ risk question

June 9 Telus: I got an email from Kayle on Facebook about getting a job at Telus. He said:

"The exam has different aspects its on the computer, part of it has to deal with listening to a voice give you instructions on their name and phone number. The names are reversed from how you can type them. So you will see Last name then first but the voice always does first name then last so you have to remember them. There is a tricky part at the end that tests your multitasking ability where you have to send callers to the right person, and on the side you have to specify whether the numbers match or not."

That reminds me of a test I did with the staffing agency Manpower back in 2008.

The New Situation: Right now I'm looking for an office job on the internet until my EI runs out. When that runs out, then I'll start looking for a regular job.

EI: I checked my bank account and I called Service Canada. It said that they got my application, but it's been 2 business days, and my EI hasn't been processed yet. I feel anxious waiting for my EI. I must use this energy to look for a job.

Cut down: I have been cutting down on TV. I don't watch The Young and the RestlessSo You Think You Can DanceMadTV, or reruns.

Today I went out and recycled 2 batteries at Staples. I then forced myself to read a chapter of Robert McKee's Story.

Imagination: I imagined this scenario yesterday where a SWAT team busts into my house.

SWAT: We're from Service Canada and you agreed to the Rules and Regulations where you're supposed to be actively looking for a job, and here you are watching TV.

Baby steps: I applied to a few places online yesterday. I will admit I have been mainly putting my cell phone number on my job profiles on the sites. I got a cell phone a couple months ago. It's my first cell phone. I'm getting kind of warmed up back to my job search.

Writing: Same goes with writing. Right now I'm deleting these extraneous documents on my 3.5 floppy disk. I already have the story on 1 document, I don't need to have it divided into 3 documents.

I also typed up my Changes 3.doc about the changes I made in The Fighter draft 10. The last time I really did anything for this script was back in Mar. when I was talking to EPL writer in residence Chris Craddock about it. I was busy working on Rain and my job search. That explains my 3 month delay on not working on Fighter.

Actors: I was checking out what's on Law and Order: SVU and then I see this guy. I yelled to my sister.

Me: It's the guy from Human Target!
Sister: You mean Mark Valley?
Me: Yeah.

She comes over and we watch it. This ep is before MV got the lead in Human Target.

June 10 Money: Today I went and picked up my paycheck from the Juice Place. I deposited it right away. It was kind of interesting when I went to the bank machine. The woman in front of me left and it turns out she didn't even log off. I had access to her account, but I have lots of ethics so I didn't take any money from her.

I did see her receipt and saw how much money she had in her account. I took out her debit card and I thought she went into one direction, but she wasn't there. So then I deposited my money into my own account. I then gave the debit card to the bank.

It wasn't a really hard moral dilemma for me. Stealing is wrong. Another thing to deter stealing is that there are cameras and they can catch you stealing. I wasn't even tempted to steal money.

Shopping: After wards I went to Kingsway mall to look around. I then went back to City Centre to try out a donair from Taste of Mediterranean. I had a falafel a few weeks ago. They both cost $5.78 and it's chicken. If you go to Souvlaki Express in the mall, the donairs are $5.50 and it's beef. I did talk to the manager of Taste a few weeks ago about a job. I see that there are about 5 people working there.

Facebook job search: I went on Facebook so I can look through my emails. I wanted to take notes of who has emailed me back about jobs and who hasn't. Also if they did email me, what did they say. It's a little complicated with people. Some people put what city they're living in, and others don't.

So when I email some people about jobs, they say: "I don't live in Edmonton right now so I can't help you."

Tyra Banks: Her talk show ended a couple of weeks ago, and I was the first one to post about it on twop.com. Then these other people came on and talked about it, complimenting that the show did have it's good moments.

YMCA: My friend Sherry emailed me about positions at the YMCA. I had applied there a few months ago. I then looked it up on the site, and I don't qualify for the positions.

June 11 Stay positive: Today I got a call from Rogers and it's for an interview to be part-time administrative assistant. I'll have to ask my dad about it first. It's PT so I can still probably get EI. I write down every call back I get from a company even if it's a email reject from a bank. Then I would know what my returns are.

I was in the shower when my grandma passed me the phone. That reminded me of The Simpsons where Homer picks up the phone.

Homer: You have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.
lol.

Job search: Yesterday I asked my dad about this ad. I should read things carefully. It isn't a job for legal assistants, it's for training and placement. There was another ad trying to make money off job seekers. I called to be a telemarketer, and the position has been filled. The ad was actually 3 weeks old.

It reminds me of The Simpsons where Bart gets diagnosed with ADD and takes Focusyn. He's tutoring a boy.

Bart: And why did Humpty Dumpty have a big fall?
Boy: Because he took his eyes off the prize?
Bart: That's right. You stay on the ball, you stay on the wall.

I then went back to Edmonton Job Shop.ca and Kijiji looking for a job. A lot of things have changed in 2 weeks.

Risk question: I saw my sister's new Cosmopolitan. There was this interesting question about risk.Which risk would you take?

A. Go bungee jumping.
B. Make a toast in front of hundreds of people.
C. Put your whole paycheck in a investment.
D. Take on a risky project at work.

I pick B and it says I'm into social risks. I realize that yes, I do. I was in the talent show in gr.7 and 9, dancing in front of 700 people by myself. I did this stand up comedy routine in NAIT for this assignment. I tell strangers that they look like celebrities. I won't pick A because I'm not really interested in it. I won't pick C because money is important to me. I won't pick D because it seems like a lot of work.

If you pick A, you like to push your body to it's limits. If you pick C, you find it easier to risk money because it's not your character that's on the line. If you pick D, it means you like to use your mind.

Job talk: I talked to my dad about Rogers job interview. He tells me I should go to it. I feel like if I don't go to it, I would be putting obstacles in front of myself. I need more practice in job interviews.

At the very least I would meet new people, go somewhere I've never been, do something different, and learn about a company. Then I write about it in my weekly email/ blog post.I didn't go to a Shaw Conference banquet server interview because the hours are really late, and I don't like taking the bus at night. It's a regular job, and not an office job, so it's not a big deal. I wasn't putting an obstacle in front of myself in that situation.

A few weeks ago my dad told me: "Someone or something is always trying to take your job." Back in the day there used to be an operator. Now it's replaced by a machine.

Then the other night I was listening to radio late at night, and it reminded me of something I saw in summer 2008 when I was in Calgary. I was watching the sitcom My Boys and this guy talked about how his job of being a radio DJ is being replaced by an iPod.

You may think: "How do you remember something 2 yrs ago?" It's about triggers. Something happens and it reminds me of something else.

No comments: