Friday, September 13, 2024

job interviews/ "Amazon rejects plea to stop selling taxi roof signs as cab scam spreads across Canada"

May 2, 2024 Bredin Centre: Today I went there for a 1hr appointment to help with my job search.  This woman S was very helpful.


One of the tips is that you can call the company to ask about the job ad: Are you still hiring?

You may get a automated message and answering machine.

Or you can talk to a live person and you may be able to book an interview.


May 3, 2024 The Car Parts Company: When I was at the Bredin Centre, S called the company and emailed the resume.  I called them and did a phone interview to get more information.  This was 6 min. long.

Pros:

1. There is a bus and an LRT to get there.  45 min.

2. They're open Mon.- Fri, 8am-6:30pm.  Sat. 8am-3pm.  I work PT like 9am-6pm, 2 or 3 days a week.

3. The pay is $15/hr.

4. The duties are data entry of typing in all the car parts.

Cons:

1. This is very hard.  The manager said there's a lot to learn about car parts and could take about 6 months.  He said it wasn't going to be easy like learning at a restaurant.

My opinion: This reminds me of a job interview I attended in Oct. 2023.  This was also at a car parts store.  

I would say the same thing about that store and this company: I'm not really interested in working with car parts.


The Truck Training and Driver School: I sent them my Bredin Centre resume and got an interview.

Pros:

1. This is full- time and permanent.  The hours are 8am-4:30pm.

2. I can do the job of data entry.

3. The pay is $20/hr.

4. There are benefits like dental.

Cons:

1. I have to take 1 bus to get there in the morning.  I stay on the same vehicle and it will turn to 3 buses.  This will be a 1hr 20 min. ride.  I also have to walk 9 min. from the last bus stop.

There wasn't paved sidewalks to walk on.  I could walk on the grass.

When I go home, I will take 3 buses.

2. The job sounded kind of boring.

My opinion: I predict that I will work there for a few days, and I quit or am let go because I'm not good enough.

I'm sure some of you are like: "Why did you attend a job interview to a company where you have to take 3 buses?  Your limit was always 2 buses."

My reasons:

1. I didn't work for a month.

2. I don't have EI.

3. This is $20/ hr.  


May 7, 2024 The Tea Store: I attended a job interview a few years ago.  Now I attended another interview here.

Pros:

1. This was close by like 1 bus to get here.

2. The hours are part- time.  They are 3-8pm.  That's not too late.  There will be 1 or 2 weekdays where I work the whole day.  I will work Sun.

3. The pay is $15/ hr.

4. The duties are selling the tea.  I have to package them and learn about the products.

Cons: none.

My opinion: I would work here.


May 22, 2024 The real estate property management company: I attended a job interview in 2023.  There was the woman D from HR and the property manager who interviewed me.

Pros: 

1. This was 2 buses to get there.  50 min. ride.  The buses come often.

2. The hours are full- time, permanent.  Mon.- Fri. 8am-4pm.

3. The pay is like $20/hr.  There are benefits: medical, dental, prescription, massages.

I pay for half.

4. The duties are being the administrative assistant to the property manager.

I would be using Word, Excel, Outlook.


How do you stay organized under pressure?

I prioritize.

There are annual general meetings for each company.

I have to write letter to owners.

I have to send notices of entry to maintenance.


Cons: 

1. This seems hard with a lot of work.

My opinion: I would work here.  I didn't get hired.


Jun. 27, 2024 The real estate property management company job interview 2: I attended an interview this month.  This is my 3rd chance/ interview.  There was the woman D from HR and the senior administrative assistant.


Pros: 

1. This was 2 buses to get there.  50 min. ride.  The buses come often.

2. The hours are full- time, permanent.  Mon.- Fri. 8am-4pm.

3. The pay is like $20- 21/hr.  There are benefits: medical, dental, prescription, massages.

I pay for half.

4. The duties are being the administrative assistant to the property manager.

I would be answering phones, email.

Write letters like fees and notices.

There are night meetings.  I would get a paid half day in lieu of those meetings.

The computer programs are Condo Cafe.


Cons: 

1. This seems hard with a lot of work.

My opinion: I would work here.

Job tip: They asked me what I knew about the company.  I had researched and was on their website.  I wrote down what was on the website and I told them.

Go to the company website and learn about them.


Jul. 1, 2024 The Grocery Store #2: I attended this job interview last month.  I passed my resume to them in-person. I asked to speak to the manager and I was interviewed there.  

I also attended a 3 hr orientation/ job shadow that's not paid.

Pros:

1. It was close by like 1 bus.

2. The pay was $16/ hr.  There is 10% off the food.  The pay check is every week.

3. I can do the duties of helping customers by serving them.  The cleaning and the displays.

Cons:

1. This is a mild con: there is a lot to learn, but I'm willing to learn.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.



Jun. 8, 2024 The Department Store: Last month I got a phone job interview.  Then I got called in to come in-person.

Pros:

1. There are 2 buses to get there, but they come often.

2. The pay is $15/ hr.

3. The job is part- time like 8-16 hrs/ week.

4. The hours of the store are good: as in they close at 8pm the latest.  

This can take 45 min. to close the store.

5. I can do the job.  There are different areas like cashier, fitting rooms.

You assist the customers.

The store gets these big shipments, and you have to unpack and put them in store.

You have to clean the store.  

6. There is a 10% off discount on everything.


Cons: 

1. This is a mild con.  Each week, the hours and shifts vary.  You may work one morning and another night.

My opinion: I would work here if I got hired.


Jul. 1, 2024 The Car Company social media manager job: I attended this interview last week.

Pros:

1. It was close by.  2 buses and 30 min. to get there.

2. The hours are Mon. - Fri.  Full- time.  I would be a subcontractor and not an employee.

3. The pay is $2500/ month.  There would be a bonus of $250 if they sell the car.

I get 4 customers= $1000

5 customers= $2500

4. The job is that I have to create advertising campaigns.  I have to market and generate sales leads, like get customers.

Post in buy- and- sell groups and Facebook Marketplace about our cars, trucks, and boats.

I told them I went to Graphic Communications at NAIT for a year and the car company is on one social media platform.  They should be on more.

There is Google Docs and I put the customer's name, email, and what product they're interested in.  The salesperson will go to the customer.

Cons:

1. This seems hard.  You have to generate the minimum of 5 leads a day.

2018:

The Online marketing company: I have worked here for a day and you have to call companies and find leads.  That was 100% commission.  This is an appointment setter job where I set appoints for sales reps.

I then quit after that day.

The Cleaning company: I worked here for a day and I have to find companies that could buy our cleaning services.  This is an appointment setter job where I set appoints for sales reps.

I was let go after one day.

My opinion: I won't be successful at this because it's too hard to generate leads.


2 situations: I was nervous about attending the interview because I wasn't really familiar with this part of town.  I thought of actually taking the bus on Mon. as a trial to find the place.

Situation 1: Take the bus on Mon. to find the place.

Pros:

1. This would calm me down and I won't be nervous for the job interview tomorrow.

2. I can save money by borrowing my little brother's bus pass.

Cons:

1. I would take 30 min. to get there and find the place.  I would then take 30 min. to get home.

I attend the interview tomorrow and that's 1hr to commute and 15 min. at the interview.

I would have spent 2 hr and 15 min. at an interview for a job that I may not get.

That's a lot of time and effort, even though I may be reading a book while I'm waiting for the bus.


Situation 2: Don't take the bus on Mon.

Pros:

1. I would save time and effort and look for a job at home.

Cons:

1. I would be kind of nervous tomorrow.

My opinion: I chose #2.  I spend some more time on Google maps and looking at the streets, and writing down the directions to calm me down.




Aug. 8, 2024 Auto works company: I attended this interview in Jul. 2024.

Pros:

1. The hours are 8am- 5pm.  Mon.- Fri.

2. The pay is $15-17/hr.

3. The duties are all data entry.  I have to put in the car parts, the hours of labor and calculate this.  I call customers and set appointments.

Cons:

1. This was kind of far.  I have to take 2 buses to get there, but I was willing to go there.

2. This seems hard with learning about cars and car parts.

My opinion: I would work there or at least try out the job.

I then found this post on Kijiji about the place I attended the job interview at:



Jul. 10, 2024:

******Do not work here ***** sexually harasses women


9609 62 Ave NWEdmontonAB T6E 0E1

Contact Kory Odiorne







  • J & J Autoworks
The owner Jason Blustein likes to have affairs with his office girls . Then when his wife catches him he blames the girl. He can’t fire the girl so he lays them off citing it’s slow. But post an ad the next day looking for a new victim and states in the ad that it’s a “busy” place to work. He will do it again and again that’s why there is a huge turnover with women employees. He is an arrogant little man. Stay far away .. he promises you things and never follows through. The other girl working there is his pet .. gets away with everything they are very co dependant on each other. He’s a flirt thinks he’s so good but he is just a liar and doesn’t follow through with anything.


My opinion: I don't know if this is true or not.  I don't know who wrote this.

Is he or she telling the truth?

Or is he or she wanting to damage the reputation of this man and his company?

When I attended the interview, I didn't experience any sexual harassment.

It's not like when a celebrity or public figure, or a company does something bad and it's on the news.  There is proof from:

- lawyers and courts

- police and law enforcement agencies

- the media like the news outlets 


This is from my Mar. 2021 blog post:

"#MeToo movement becomes #WeToo in in victim-blaming Japan"/ "Outrage as women in Japan told not wear glasses in the workplace"


Aug. 17, 2020 Saying: I found this on Facebook:

"You never look good when you are trying to make someone else look bad."- Unknown

Cham: Sometimes people need to be exposed for who they are hahah or maybe I should stop being petty

Tracy Au: There's a difference between trying to make someone look bad, and exposing them for who they are. It's like those #MeToo accusers and victims, they are plainly telling everybody about the perpetrators. They're not trying to make them look bad.




Aug. 12, 2024 The Greek Fast Food Place: I attended this interview in Jul. 2024.

Pros:

1. It was in downtown and close by.

2. The hours are Mon.- Fri. and 11am-3pm.

3. The pay is $15-16/hr.  There are tips.

4. I can do the job of cleaning and serving.

Cons:

1. This is a mild con.  The first 3 months of probation, I have to pay for the food full- price.

After the probation, there is 50% off the food.  You can drink the pop there for free. 

My opinion: I would work there.



These are the other 2 blog posts:


"Quiet quitting: What the workplace trend sweeping social media actually means"/ "'Quiet quitting' isn't really quitting, but it is forcing employers to adapt"



"Stop calling it 'quiet quitting' when really it just means doing your job"/ "'Quiet Quitting' an opportunity for employers to help reshape the workplace"




My week:


Mon. Sept. 9, 2024 "Amazon rejects plea to stop selling taxi roof signs as cab scam spreads across Canada": Today I found this article by Sophia Harris on CBC:

Fake drivers swap passengers' debit cards, with $1.7M in losses reported in Toronto since June 2023


After a long day at a work event in July, Kathryn Kozody was relieved when she spotted a car with a lit-up taxi sign. 

She thought it was odd when the driver told her she'd have to pay her fare with a debit card. Still, a tired Kozody hopped in the car. 

"I was like, 'Fine, it's kind of weird, but let's go home,'" said Kozody, who lives in Calgary. 

Nothing else seemed off — until the next day when she discovered that almost $2,000 was missing from her bank account. On top of that, her debit card had someone else's name on it. 

Kozody concluded that the taxi driver was a fraudster who, during the debit card transaction, recorded her PIN, stole her card and handed her back a fake. 

"I started freaking out," she said. "It's terrifying when they have your debit card."

It took Kozody about two weeks to get her money back from her bank, and she's still rattled by the experience. 

"It really felt like an invasion of privacy and a violation to be a victim of this scam," she said. "I really don't want it to happen to anybody else."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/taxi-scam-amazon-1.7315130




Sat. Sept. 7, 2024 Women's Circle: Today I went there at the Centre for Spiritual Living.  This is from 10am- 12pm on the first Sat. of the month.  I have never been to a women's circle before so I tried this.

There were 30 of us and we sat in chairs around a big circle.  There was a guided mediation and a couple of journal prompts.  We can write down our answers.  

There were snacks like muffins and coffee and tea.

This was a positive experience.  I am open to attending another one.


Sun. Sept. 8, 2024 Potluck: I went there and met 3 new people.

Alida: A woman in her seniors.

Johan: A man in his seniors.

Wayne: A man in his 40s.

Mark and Melanie were there.

I brought up the topic of traveling and where we've been to.  There is the currency rate.

In Mongolia Tugrick, this is the rate:

1 USD3,380.80000 MNT


When the event ended, we put away the chairs.

We also took home leftovers like Caeser salad, lasagna, and cake.


Wed. Sept. 11, 2024 Community League meeting: I attended this and it's usually 1hr and a half long. This was like over 2 hrs.  There were a lot of events happening.


Snacks:

Dorito's Tangy All Dressed: This is for a "limited time only."  I like this.

Lay's and Miss Vickie's Spicy Dill Pickle:  This is for a "limited time only."  I don't really like this because it's too spicy.

No comments: