Friday, December 22, 2023

Post Secret- holidays (Part 5)/ Post Secret 28/ "Simone Biles Opens Up About Growing up in Foster Care and Understanding 'Hardships' Kids 'Go Through'

 


Jan. 1, 2023:







Dec. 3, 2023:











Dec. 17, 2023:





Classic secrets:











This week's theme is about the holidays: 


"The holiday work party is back in force. Just don't throw caution to the wind"/ "How to keep your office Halloween party from turning into an HR nightmare"




"Why cash isn't always the best gift, especially when it comes to your kids"/ "What the Bank of Mom and Dad should consider when dispensing money — especially if it might want to be paid back someday"





My week: 



Dec. 14, 2023 "A 17-year-old British boy missing for six years has been found in France": Today I found this article by Hugh Schofield in Paris & Jacqueline Howard in London.  This is is positive story:

Alex Batty is at a young person's centre in Toulouse and could be back in the UK within hours, the prosecutors' office in the city told the BBC.

Alex used a motorist's phone to message his grandmother in the UK, saying "I love you, I want to come home".

He had been missing since 2017, but was found on Wednesday morning by the motorist who spotted him walking through rain near Toulouse.

The boy disappeared after going on holiday with his mother and grandfather in Spain.


The pair, who do not have parental guardianship of Alex, have not been located but remain wanted in connection with his disappearance.

A police source earlier told BBC News the boy had been taken to a police station by the concerned motorist who had spotted him on a road in the foothills of the Pyrenees early on Wednesday morning.

The motorist, delivery driver Fabien Accidini, saw Alex walking along a road in the foothills of the Pyrenees in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

"He explained that he had been walking for four days, that he set off from a place in the mountains, though he didn't say where," Mr Accidini said.

"I typed his name into the internet and saw that he was being looked for," he said.





Dec. 16, 2023 "Simone Biles Opens Up About Growing up in Foster Care and Understanding 'Hardships' Kids 'Go Through'": Today I found this article by Escher Walcott on Yahoo:

Simone Biles is opening up about her childhood in foster care.

On Friday, the Olympic gold medalist, 26, reposted a clip from a new interview where she candidly discussed her experiences spending several years in foster care, along with her three siblings, when she was a child.

Tagging the post “foster child,” Biles wrote on her Instagram Story, “a conversation I had about a [topic] that is near & dear to my heart,” adding several heart hand emojis as she shared the clip of the interview with CNN.

In the clip, Biles explained how she ended up in foster care and her connection with Friends of the Children, a nonprofit that provides mentorship for children in challenging circumstances, as she was recognized by CNN Heroes for her work with the organization.

“I actually was a foster kid, so I know some of those hardships that those kids go through,” Biles said. “When my siblings and I entered foster care, it was because our biological mom was struggling with drug and alcohol abuse. I was three years old.”

Biles recalled in the clip her and her siblings being left hungry at times before they were taken into foster care.

“I just remember, like, us as kids being so hungry and then I just remember this cat that would get fed and not like, quite us,” she continued in the clip. “And so we were taken and, thankfully, we actually got to stay in one foster home and we were all together … it was some of the best times ever. We were just so excited.”

During her time in foster care, Biles and her siblings Adria, Tevin and Ashley were visited by their grandparents, Ronald and Nellie Biles, CNN reported. After three years, Biles was then adopted at age 6 by her grandparents and discovered her passion for gymnastics soon after.

According to the outlet, Biles came across a gym during a school trip at the time. “I’d never even heard of gymnastics before,” she added. “I was just like, ‘oh, I bet I could do that!”

"Having my parents and that support made me who I am today," she said elsewhere in the interview, before discussing Friends of the Children and why she wanted to be involved. The athlete explained that the organization offers official mentors for more than 12 years for children in foster care. "It gives them love and support, because that's what these kids need, so to have that one constant means the world to them," she told CNN.

Biles and sister Adria, 24, were adopted by their grandparents. Their siblings Tevin and Ashley were adopted by Ronald’s sister and raised in Cleveland, Ohio.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/simone-biles-opens-growing-foster-191533820.html

My opinion: This is a heartwarming article.  You should become foster parents, because you do get paid to raise these kids.






Dec. 17, 2023 London Christmas Tree Rental: I found this on Facebook.  This company makes money and is good for the environment:

Lentils and Lace 
Follow

 
Such a brilliant idea.!







Dec. 19, 2023 Self- check out survey: This was on the Leo opinion poll.

Cathy D. from Brantford, ON, would like to know:

When shopping in person, do you prefer self-checkout or a cashier?


A cashier    54.16% (2737)

Self-checkout 44.82% (2265)
Not applicable 1.03% (52)



My opinion: A cashier.  I only buy snacks at Shoppers Drug Mart, and a worker does come by to help if I need help,


Dec. 15, 2023 Christina Smith: I heard this Canadian singer on CBC radio last night.  I looked her up and I found this.


"I Can't Stay": This is a really good video with the dancing which is hip- hop and contemporary:





Dec. 19, 2023 Job interview: There was this interview on Zoom.  I emailed a few times because there wasn't a Zoom link provided.  Then the woman emails it to me right before it.

After a few minutes, I learn that this company is more about helping immigrants get permanent residence here.  This is like a staffing agency and she will forward my resumes to other companies.

I had this kind of stress and anxiety about this interview, and it turns into a job interview I didn't get hired.  That's ok. 


Dec. 21, 2023 Game night: I got this flier in the mail about game night with playing board games among other events at this community league.  I met 7 white guys.

I can walk there.  I was there from 6:30-9pm.  I played these.  I never played them before so they had to explain how to play as I played.  I didn't win.



Roll for the Galaxy is a dice game of building space empires for 2–5 players. Your dice represent your populace, whom you direct to develop new technologies, settle worlds, and ship goods. The player who best manages his workers and builds the most prosperous empire wins!

This dice version of Race for the Galaxy takes players on a new journey through the Galaxy, but with the feel of the original game.




You are the leader of one of the 7 great cities of the Ancient World. Gather resources, develop commercial routes, and affirm your military supremacy. Build your city and erect an architectural wonder which will transcend future times.

7 Wonders lasts three ages. In each age, players receive seven cards from a particular deck, choose one of those cards, then pass the remainder to an adjacent player. Players reveal their cards simultaneously, paying resources if needed or collecting resources or interacting with other players in various ways.

 (Players have individual boards with special powers on which to organize their cards, and the boards are double-sided). Each player then chooses another card from the deck they were passed, and the process repeats until players have six cards in play from that age. After three ages, the game ends.

In essence, 7 Wonders is a card development game. Some cards have immediate effects, while others provide bonuses or upgrades later in the game.

 Some cards provide discounts on future purchases. Some provide military strength to overpower your neighbors and others give nothing but victory points.

 Each card is played immediately after being drafted, so you'll know which cards your neighbor is receiving and how her choices might affect what you've already built up. Cards are passed left-right-left over the three ages, so you need to keep an eye on the neighbors in both directions.

Though the box of earlier editions is listed as being for 3–7 players, there is an official 2-player variant included in the instructions.


I told them these games remind me of this game:


Century: Spice Road is the first in a series of games that explores the history of each century with spice-trading as the theme for the first installment. In Century: Spice Road, players are caravan leaders who travel the famed silk road to deliver spices to the far reaches of the continent for fame and glory. Each turn, players perform one of four actions:

  • Establish a trade route (by taking a market card)
  • Make a trade or harvest spices (by playing a card from hand)
  • Fulfill a demand (by meeting a victory point card's requirements and claiming it)
  • Rest (by taking back into your hand all of the cards you've played)

The last round is triggered once a player has claimed their fifth victory point card, then whoever has the most victory points wins.




Free things: I went to downtown and I found this nice blue pen with glitter in the top half of the pen at the bus stop.

At Game Night, Terry bought this fudge that was made by his neighbor.  He let me have the tin can with a snowman holding a Santa hat and 2 penguins with him.


Dec. 18, 2023 "Coffee house opens overnight for homeless turned away from shelters": Today I found this article by Randy Richmond on the London Free Press.  I like this because it's about helping homeless people:

A daytime coffee house for homeless Londoners has begun opening at night for up to 15 people at a time to sit, get warm and have some soup and a hot beverage.

The night-time drop-in at the London Coffee House is a new element to the city’s annual winter response to homelessness, and a recognition many shelters don’t have the space or flexibility for welcoming people at all hours of the night.




"NEW: I'm running for Congress to protect reproductive rights!": I signed and posted this on my Facebook page:

Pro Choice with Heart
United States

DEC 15, 2023 — 

Click here to add your name to our ranks as a supporter of reproductive rights and help us defeat Darrell Issa, the pro-life GOP Congressman in California's 48th District.

Congressman Issa believes it’s his right to govern other people’s bodies. He’s worked to defund vital resources like Planned Parenthood, celebrated the overturning of Roe v. Wade, and has been complicit in attempts by his colleagues to issue a nationwide abortion ban.

I’m fighting back by running against him and his barbaric beliefs. I’m running to represent the voices of thousands across this district, and millions across the country that believe abortion rights are human rights.

With the recent victory in Ohio, where voters stood up and demanded reproductive rights be added to their states constitution, it has shown us that now more than ever, people are motivated to fight for our right to an abortion. 

It’s important we realize in this race here in San Diego County, abortion is on the ballot. And that’s why I’m stepping up to face Congressman Issa!

To defeat Darrell Issa, I need the support of a huge grassroots team to make sure we can take on his legion of anti-abortion supporters. So, can I count on you to sign up and join my grassroots team?

Click here to sign on.

Thank you for being PRO CHOICE!

-Whitney 


No comments: