Friday, September 1, 2023

job interviews/ "He was scammed $16K from his BMO line of credit. The bank is charging him interest anyway"

Aug. 13, 2023 Job interviews: I'm writing about my old job interviews.


The Pita Place: I attended this job interview in Apr. 2019.  I have attended an interview here in 2018.


Pros:


1. It was close by like 2 buses to get there.  The buses come frequently.

2. The  pay was $15/hr.

3. I can do the duties of washing dishes, cleaning, making wraps, chopping veggies, and portioning meats.


Cons:

1. This was a long time ago.  I'm looking at my notes and they seemed to be hiring more for nights.  They close at 10pm which is late for me.


My opinion: If they were hiring to work in the day time, I would work there.  I didn't get hired.  That's okay.  The restaurant closed down in 2020 or 2021 during the pandemic. 


Aug. 22, 2023 Galaxyland: I attended this job interview in May 2019.  I usually don't mention the company name, but there isn't another vague name to give this.  I'm not going to write anything negative about the company:


Pros:

1. It was part- time and temporary until Sept.  It was 10-20 hrs a week.

2. I think the pay was minimum wage like $15/hr.

3. The hours were days like Mon.- Thurs. 12-6pm.   Fri. 12-7pm.  Sat. 10am-7pm.  Sun. 11am-6pm.

4. The duties was to be a ride operator.  The training was 3 days for 3-4 hrs.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I wasn't really that interested in working there.


$1 store: I attended this job interview in May 2019.  It was a job fair because they're hiring for a new location.

Pros:

1. I do like this store and the products.

2. I think the pay was minimum wage like $15/hr.

3. I applied to be a cashier or sales associate.  I can do the job.

4. I would have to take 1 bus for nearly an hour to get there.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I'm interested in working there.


Women's clothing store: I attended this job interview in May 2019.

Pros:

1. The hours are 3 available days of 15 hrs/ week.

2. I think the pay was minimum wage like $15/hr.

3. I applied to be a cashier or sales associate.  I can do the job.

4. I would take 2 buses and 40 min to get to this mall.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I'm mildly interested in working there.


Donair and Pizza Place:  I attended this job interview in May 2019.

Pros:

1. The hours are Mon.- Fri. 10am- 2pm.

2. The pay $15/hr.  There are tips daily.

3. I get a free meal on shift.

4. Duties: I can take orders, making donairs and pizzas, cleaning, washing dishes.  3-4 people work there at a time.

5. I have to take 2 buses to get there.  They come frequently.

Cons: I was going to say none.  However, now that I'm writing about the interview, the buses have changed.  I would have to take 3 buses to get there. 

My opinion: When I first did the interview, I would work there.  Now I wouldn't because it's really far.


Aug. 23, 2023 Fast Food Place at West Edmonton mall: I attended this job interview in May 2019.

Pros:

1. The hours are part- time.

2. The pay $15/hr. 

3. I get a 50% off on my meal when I'm on shift.

4. There are 2 positions.  One is for the till.  The other is for a kitchen where I make milkshakes and the fryer.

5. I can take 1 hr bus ride to get there.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.


Full- service restaurant: I attended this job interview in May 2019.  It was on the same day as the Fast Food Place at West Edmonton mall.  The position was a cook and mainly food prep.

Pros:

1. The hours are full- time.

2. The pay is $15/ hr.

3. The duties is like making salads.

4. It's in downtown and I would take 1 bus to get there.

Now the buses have changed, and I would have to take 2 buses to get there, but they come frequently.  


Cons:

1. I wouldn't get tips.

2. They opened in early 2019.  A lot of restaurants close down in the first 2 years.  There's a lack of job security.  

3. The hours are at night.  I would leave by 10 pm or later.  I don't like taking the bus at night.

4. I have worked as a cook at 2 places and it's hard.  I probably wouldn't last here.

I have worked at the Soup Place #1 and #2, but they were easier like food prep of chopping veggies and fruit, and making sandwiches. 

My opinion: I didn't really want to work there because I would have to work late at night.  I didn't get hired.  That's okay.  The restaurant closed down in 2020 or 2021 during the pandemic. 


The dry cleaners: I attended this job interview in May 2019.  This is the first time I ever applied and attended a job interview at a dry cleaners.

Pros:

1. The hours are full- time.

2. The duties are check in customers and write about items.  I answer phones.  

The training will be 2-3 weeks.  There's a computer program to learn.  It's al ways busy.

3. There are 2 buses and 1 hr to get there.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I was mildly interested in working there.  The buses have changed.  It would take 2 buses and 1 hr and 10 min. to get there.


Here are the other 2 blog posts:


"As Liberals consider EI update, gig workers hope to qualify for social safety net"/ "Delivery-app drivers and other gig workers fear loss of income as restaurants, stores reopen"

http://badcb.blogspot.com/2023/09/as-liberals-consider-ei-update-gig.html


"Employers to hire more contract workers as economy emerges from pandemic: poll"/ "Rise in gig work during a recession unlikely with hot labour market, say economists"

http://badcb.blogspot.com/2023/09/employers-to-hire-more-contract-workers.html


Thurs. Aug. 24, 2023 "This Quebec woman has incurable Stage 4 cancer. It hasn't stopped her from making an epic trek": Today I found this article on Yahoo and CBC:

Opening a care basket at the Dosquet community centre 50 kilometres southwest of Quebec City, Maureen Vachon broke down, reading the messages of support from volunteers who welcomed her on one of her last stops as part of her end-of-life walk across the province.

"My goodness this is too kind," said Vachon, as she wiped a tear. "I've never experienced such sympathy and empathy as I do now."

Vachon is on her fourth pair of running shoes and has walked more than 2,000 kilometres.

All alone, equipped only with a backpack, walking poles and her phone, she's been on the road since April 24, livestreaming her journey to hundreds of friends — and strangers — across the province who've become invested in her story.

In 2019, Vachon was diagnosed with Stage 4 metastatic breast cancer that had spread to her bones and her lymph nodes. Earlier this year, she made the call to get out of the hospital and go on one last trip.

Raising money for palliative care

Walking upward of 15 kilometres a day, rain or shine, Vachon has raised over $12,000 for Maison Saint-Raphaël, a palliative care home in Montreal where she hopes to spend her final days.

"We're so happy that she's done that," said Olivia Lévêque, executive director at the facility.

"Not only for the fundraising part, of course we really need [that], but it's also the message that she's giving."

Lévêque says some people have started their own walk or initiative after being inspired by Vachon's journey.

"She's always saying 'I'm living now.' So that's the message that we're telling every person that comes here: It's so important to live. You're not a disease," said Lévêque.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/quebec-woman-incurable-stage-4-080000186.html


Fri. Aug. 25, 2023 "What a blow! Kleenex pulling out of Canadian consumer market": Today I found this article by Pete Evans on CBC:

Consumer facial tissue brand Kleenex will soon be no more in Canada, as the company that makes the iconic product  has decided to exit a major part of its business in this country.

Kimberly-Clark, which makes many other paper product brands, including Cottonelle, Huggies, Poise and Depend, says it has made the decision to stop making the consumer-focused versions of Kleenex facial tissues in Canada, even as its other products will stay on the shelves.

Consumers choosing to go cheap

Evershed says the decision was likely made because profit margins on the product were thin to begin with, and inflation has consumers choosing cheaper options wherever they can.

"With the recent burst of inflation, consumers are trading down from branded labels to private label store brands," he said in an interview with CBC News.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/kleenex-canada-1.6947410

I'm crying at this news.

Pass the kleenex, please.


I haven't actually used the Kleenex brand in years. Royale is much cheaper and just as good.


My opinion: This is a big company that's not selling one of their products anymore.  However, we can all find other brands to buy. 


"Canada Post loses more than $250M in second quarter": Today I found this article on BNN Bloomberg:

Canada Post continued to bleed cash last quarter, as losses ballooned by 59 per cent.

In a release Friday, the Crown corporation reported a before-tax loss of $254 million for its second quarter versus $160 million in losses a year earlier.

The country's main postal operator says revenue dropped by $78 million, or six per cent, year-over-year due to declines across all lines of business.

Canada Post says an increasingly competitive market for parcel delivery continued to dent revenues throughout the first half of 2023, while transaction mail and direct marketing deliveries also fell amid businesses' strained promotional budgets.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canada-post-loses-more-than-250m-in-second-quarter-1.1963641


Sat. Aug. 26, 2023 "He was scammed $16K from his BMO line of credit. The bank is charging him interest anyway": Today I found this article by Philippe de Montigny on CBC:

James Mathelier says he's had many sleepless nights in the past four months after falling prey to a costly phone scam.

Now, out thousands of dollars, the Toronto man is speaking out, saying his bank didn't do enough to protect him and is even charging interest on the funds he lost from his line of credit.

On April 24, the 63-year-old says he answered a call from a man claiming to be a Bank of Montreal employee, warning him that fraudsters had accessed his bank account. The phone number matched his bank's, making it seem legitimate. 

The caller then asked for a verification code which was sent to Mathelier's phone, supposedly to confirm his identity.

"I knew I shouldn't share codes over the phone, but he offered for me to call the bank back to continue this process. He said we had to act quickly because money was being withdrawn," Mathelier told Radio-Canada.

"I was panicking."

After sharing this code, three withdrawals were made from his personal line of credit: $7,500 and $1,452.72 that day, and another $7,500 the next day. "It's been impacting my mental health. I can barely sleep," Mathelier said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/bmo-scam-line-of-credit-two-factor-1.6947461


Tues. Aug. 29, 2023 "Back to school means back to basics this fall as Canadians come up against high prices": Today I found this article by Jenna Benchetrit on CBC.  I like this because it's about helping people and saving money:

At a school in Moncton, N.B., the doors to the gymnasium opened at 9 a.m. sharp on Aug. 19. Inside, students, parents and community members were greeted by a spread of second-hand clothes, backpacks, shoes, boots and books. Music played over the speaker; kids were in high spirits.

Queen Elizabeth School was hosting its first-ever back-to-school shop, an initiative spearheaded by vice-principal Kyle Bishop and the owner of a local consignment store in nearby Riverview, N.B., called Ready, Set, Grow.

The shop gave families a chance to choose from donated items ahead of the first day of school — without paying a cent.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/back-to-school-shopping-second-hand-1.6946884


Wed. Aug. 30, 2023 "Shein, Forever 21 merger doubles down on fast fashion": Today I found this article by Julie Zenderoudi on CBC:

In what could be the most powerful fast-fashion alliance yet, Chinese e-commerce juggernaut Shein has struck a deal with Forever 21.

The agreement will allow the popular online fashion retailer to sell Forever 21 clothing, accessories and beauty products on its site. In return, Shein could soon operate distinct retail spaces within Forever 21 stores.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/shein-forever-21-sustainable-fashion-1.6949766


Aug. 31, 2023 "Burger King must defend its Whopper size in court. Other fast food chains may follow": Today I found this article by Sheena Goodyear on CBC:


Anthony J. Russo says his firm's lawsuits against four fast food giants is about a lot more than how much beef is in a burger.

The U.S. lawyer is working on three class-action lawsuits targeting four major brands — Burger KingTaco BellMcDonald's and Wendy's. Each suit was filed on behalf of dissatisfied customers who allege the companies make their menu items look bigger and better in marketing than they really are. 

"Today, it starts with the possibility of a fast food item that's, you know, a few dollars in cost. Tomorrow, it's an automobile or a vehicle or a home," Russo, president of the Russo Law Firm, told As It Happens guest host Katie Simpson. 

"If you don't put some kind of stop measures in here, there's no limit to what is going to be, you know, the truthfulness in the advertising. And that's really the basis of our lawsuit."

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/burger-size-lawsuit-1.6952263

If it weren't for people like this there would be a lot less lawyers around. Frivolous lawsuits are what makes America great!!


lol

What's next?

Someone suing the people they met through a dating app who's profile photo looks nothing like they do in real life?


My opinion: This reminds me of the Canadian TV show Street Cents.  There was a sketch where Demore Barnes buys a Big Mac at McDonald's.  He complains to the worker there that this burger doesn't look like the one in the picture.  He gets another burger and it doesn't look like the ad.


Ronald McDonald explains to him: The burger in the ad is decorated.  They have to find a bun with the most sesame seeds and put the burger together.  They put the ketchup and mustard with eye drops.


https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199275/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_q_street%2520cents


Aug. 31, 2023 "Woman shares heartfelt story of a stranger’s kind words to her at the gym": Today I found this article by Olivia Hebert on Yahoo:


A woman shared an emotional story about a stranger’s kind words at the gym which brought her to tears.

In her viral TikTok video, a gym-goer named Steph (@steph5468) said that after working out for almost “over two years” she has been “struggling” lately with her progress, especially after an incident a few weeks previously in which two men made some cruel remarks about her weight. She told viewers that one of them “coughed into his hand and said ogre,” which she admitted hurt her feelings.

Ever since that interaction, Steph has been grappling with “deep-rooted insecurities” about her weight, which has been impacted by ongoing medical issues. To treat her ailments, she explained that she takes “steroids” which have caused “blood clots” among other problems. As she has tried to deal with her medical issues, Steph said that she was, in turn, “neglecting” herself.

What he ended up saying to her was not at all what she expected. She recounted: “He goes, ‘I’ve seen you in here every week, almost every day. I see you in here every week and I’m proud of you.’” His words of encouragement hit Steph hard, motivating her to make a video about the kindness of this stranger. “You have no idea how much people that are going through something appreciate the kindness,” she said through tears.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/woman-shares-heartfelt-story-stranger-191227693.html



Sun. Aug. 27, 2023 Fun: Today is my day off.  I took the bus to Unity Square.  There are 2 buses and about 30 min. to get there.  I had a lot of errands to make the trip worthwhile.


1. I got a free medium coffee from McDonald's.  I had one of those coffee cards where you buy 7 coffees and get 1 free.  My dad is the one who buys the coffees, and I put them the stickers altogether on the card.

2. I walked over to Staples and recycled a bag of 40 pens, markers, and highlighters.  I also gave a bag of 5 broken headphones.  Headphones can be recycled, but they may have to go to a electronics recycling drop off.

The last time I was recycling things at Staples was in Jun. 2022.

3. I walked over to London Drugs and bought a pack of 10 adult bus tickets.

4. I waited for the bus and found this reusable bag on the street.  I took the bus to Shoppers Drug Mart at City Centre and bought 4 bags of No- Name chips and put it in the reusable bag.


Wed. Aug. 30, 2023 Eye exam: I went to this today.  The appointment was about 25 min. long.  My eyes are fine.  The optometrist said the coating on my glasses was wearing off.

I don't have to get new glasses.  If I were to get new glasses, it would be $120.

When I'm going to make a decision like buying something, ask:

1. Do you want this?

2. Do you need this?

3. Do you have to buy this?

No to all 3.

You are to get your eye exam every 2 yrs when you're 18- 65 yrs old.  

If you're under 18 and over 65 yrs old, then once a yr. 


No comments: