Friday, July 14, 2023

"Charisma Carpenter 'overwhelmed' by response to her allegations against Joss Whedon, but not all of it was supportive"/ "Charisma Carpenter explains the 'big risk' she took by speaking out against Joss Whedon"

Mar. 4, 2021 "Charisma Carpenter 'overwhelmed' by response to her allegations against Joss Whedon, but not all of it was supportive": This is by Raechal Shewfelt on Yahoo: 


Charisma Carpenter has been "overwhelmed" by the responses to the allegations she made against Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel creator Joss Whedon last month. Not all of them were helpful.

"The truth is that while the inundation of comments and calls were rooted in good intentions, some still fell short. It dawned on me that many may not know how to be an ally or to best support a survivor of trauma," Carpenter said in a new column for The Hollywood Reporter. 

"I'm regrettably all too familiar with experiencing physical and mental abuse. I was terrorized at the hands of an abusive family member when I was a child. 

And I’ve had a gun held to my head at point blank range while barely escaping rape.

 And based on the open letter I wrote, you now know about the psychological abuse I endured while acting on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel."

In a statement last month, Carpenter accused Whedon of being psychologically abusive during the making of those series: calling her "fat" in front of others, forcing her to work when her doctor had advised her to take time off and firing her just after she gave birth.

 "While he found his misconduct amusing, it only served to intensify my [performance] anxiety, disempower me, and alienate me from my peers. The disturbing incidents triggered a chronic physical condition from which I still suffer," she wrote. Carpenter appeared on Buffy from 1996 to 2002, and Angel from 1999 to 2004.


Yahoo Entertainment has reached out to Whedon for comment. He's previously declined to comment on Carpenter's allegations.

On Thursday, she gave suggestions for the things she wishes people would have said or done. Her first was actually something that you should not do.

"Please don't tell people to 'rise above,' 'just move on, it was a long time ago,' 'get over it' and 'forgive and forget' abusive experiences. This is dismissive and devoid of empathy," she said. 


"Justice for the abused is an integral part of the healing process. It's hard for a traumatized person to move on when they watch the transgressors move up the ladder and gain power even as they repeat patterns of toxic behavior without answerability."


She urged people to believe accusers, because it takes courage to uncover and discuss their pain, to listen and have empathy.


"Don't ask others to share details of their trauma beyond what they are willing to volunteer," said Carpenter, who's spent 20 years in therapy. 


"Questioning someone's experience when it is not a part of a formal investigation is insensitive and signals that you, the judge, need more evidence to evaluate what you are being told is truthful. Just listen. Be empathetic. Be a safe person."


At the end of the lengthy list of actions she shared, Carpenter advised people with the power to do so to "hire people who have spoken out."


"Nothing is more isolating and scary than having your ability to feed your family taken away," she said. "This fear holds people hostage to their suffering and supports a broken system. Stop labeling victims of abuse as the ones who are problematic. The abuser is problematic — not the abused."

Charisma Carpenter 'overwhelmed' by response to her allegations against Joss Whedon, but not all of it was supportive (yahoo.com)


May 18, 2021 "Charisma Carpenter explains the 'big risk' she took by speaking out against Joss Whedon": Today I found this article by Ethan Alter on Yahoo news:


Since publishing a powerful statement outlining Joss Whedon's alleged "toxic" behavior on her social media channels in February, Charisma Carpenter has largely allowed that letter to speak for itself. But the former Buffy and Angel star revisits the subject in a new interview with fellow veteran of The WB, Smallville's Michael Rosenbaum. 

Appearing on the actor's podcast, Inside of You With Michael RosenbaumCarpenter says that she has declined multiple interview requests with outlets like the Today show and The View to avoid giving the impression of being on a "publicity tour to air my grievances."

"People ... are cynical of that kind of stuff," Carpenter adds about her choice to stand with Ray Fisher, the Justice League star who was the first to speak out about Whedon last summer

"They think that's why you're saying it. They think that that's what's happening. It's disappointing to hear that's where the head goes. I'm sure in some cases that has happened, so it's fair. ... It took me two weeks to write that letter. ... I worked so hard editing it, crafting it, saying this, not saying that, what do I want to say and what instances I chose to [share]. I really said everything I could have possibly wanted to say on the subject [in that letter]." 

Speaking with Rosenbaum, Carpenter recalls that she spent much of that intensive two-week writing process worried about what the fallout from speaking her truth might be. 

Specifically, she saw a future where the fanbase for Whedon's generation-defining genre shows rejected her presence on the lucrative convention circuit. "I was taking a really big risk by saying this," Carpenter tells the host, who also makes regular appearances at many of the major comic book and sci-fi conventions. "I go to cons all the time, and it's a great deal of my income these days."

"I was really putting myself in a position to alienate my fandom by speaking out," Carpenter continues. "I go to these conventions where people walk with T-shirts on their back saying 'Joss Whedon is my God.' I was really afraid of insulting them, offending them, alienating them."  

Ultimately, it was her friendship with Fisher — whom she met at a convention — that convinced her to share her story. The actor, who played Cyborg in the Justice League film that Whedon completed after Zack Snyder parted ways with the production, called the director's behavior "gross, abusive, unprofessional, and completely unacceptable," in a July 2020 Twitter post that launched an internal investigation at Warner Bros. 

That investigation ultimately ended with Whedon leaving his HBO series, The Nevers, and Fisher being written out of the upcoming Flash movie, starring his Justice League teammate Ezra Miller. 

"It’s easier to advocate for other people than for yourself, and I knew certainly twenty years ago that wasn't an option," Carpenter tells Rosenbaum. "When I saw twenty years later that the same person was doing the same things ... that's how it all happened. ... When [Fisher] was let go from the Cyborg role, that was it."  


At the time, Carpenter didn't alert her former Buffy and Angel co-stars that she was going public with her experiences, and didn't have any idea how they'd react. 

To her surprise and gratitude, many came forward to support her, including Amber Benson, Michelle Trachtenberg and Buffy herself, Sarah Michelle Gellar. 

"I don't want to be forever associated with the name Joss Whedon," the actress wrote on Instagram. "I stand with all survivors of abuse and am proud of them for speaking out." 

"I really never imagined Sarah saying anything," Carpenter says now. "I was really just as shocked as everybody. When your co-workers are saying s***, you're like 'Wow.' I did not see that. ... I had no idea." 

During her hour-long conversation with Rosenbaum, Carpenter also revealed that Buffy wasn't her first encounter with toxic masculinity. Her very first TV role was on a 1994 episode of Baywatch where she played a love interest for David Hasselhoff's on-screen teenage son, Hobie, played by Jeremy Jackson. Despite being cast as a 13-year-old, Carpenter was actually 24 at the time, and her co-star was 14. 

"It made everybody nervous because of the age disparity," Carpenter says, adding that Jackson was "a little too forward" in their scenes together. 

"They needed to have an advocate on the set, and I felt like I needed the advocate and not him," she explains. "He was a little bit forward, more than I would have liked at the time." 

Unlike Whedon, though, Carpenter says that Jackson has apparently changed since they worked together. "He's nice now," she says. "He's grown as a person." 

Charisma Carpenter explains the 'big risk' she took by speaking out against Joss Whedon (yahoo.com)


This is from my Mar. 2021 blog post:


"#MeToo movement becomes #WeToo in in victim-blaming Japan"/ "Outrage as women in Japan told not wear glasses in the workplace"


Aug. 17, 2020 Saying: I found this on Facebook:

"You never look good when you are trying to make someone else look bad."- Unknown

Cham: Sometimes people need to be exposed for who they are hahah or maybe I should stop being petty

Tracy Au: There's a difference between trying to make someone look bad, and exposing them for who they are. It's like those #MeToo accusers and victims, they are plainly telling everybody about the perpetrators. They're not trying to make them look bad.





This week's theme is about Charisma Carpenter and other actors accusing Joss Whedon of his misconduct:


"Joss Whedon Accused of Threatening to Harm Gal Gadot's Career Over 'Justice League' Dispute/ "Joss Whedon Breaks Silence on Misconduct Allegations, Calls Ray Fisher ‘A Bad Actor in Both Senses’"

http://badcb.blogspot.com/2023/07/joss-whedon-accused-of-threatening-to.html


"'Buffy' and 'Angel' star Charisma Carpenter speaks out on Joss Whedon's alleged 'toxic' behavior: 'I can no longer remain silent'"/ "David Boreanaz supports 'Angel' co-star Charisma Carpenter following Joss Whedon allegations"

http://badcb.blogspot.com/2023/07/buffy-and-angel-star-charisma-carpenter.html


My week:


Jul. 10, 2023 "Merger talks between Postmedia and Toronto Star owner fall apart": Today I found this article by Pete Evans on CBC:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/postmedia-nordstar-1.6902175


My opinion: I had low expectations if they were going to merge or not.  This happens in the news and real life about how someone or something is planning or working towards something, but then they changed their minds and/ or something happens.


"Meta's Threads now fastest-growing platform after 100 million users sign up in first five days":

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/meta-threads-signup-record-1.6901956

My opinion: I am neutral about this.  I thought: "Another social media platform?"

I then thought about deleting my old Myspace profile.  A few years ago I tried to look for it to delete it, but I couldn't find it.  When I read this article, I then emailed Myspace to delete my profile and they did.

There are a lot of social media platforms, and you don't have to be on all of them.

I like to simplify things.  I have this:

Facebook: I use daily to contact my friends.

Twitter: I check on TV Grim Reaper because he posts TV news.

Linked In: This is for my career.  I go on here and there.

Instagram: I hardly go on it.

Blogger: I write for my blogs.



"Terminally ill boy dies after final wish fulfilled by Johnny Depp": Today I found this article by Samantha Noble on BBC News.  I like to read articles about charity, good deeds, and helping people.


A terminally ill boy whose wish was fulfilled after Johnny Depp sent him a video message as pirate Captain Jack Sparrow has died.

Kori Stovell was born with a heart condition and was on palliative care after two failed transplants.

The 11-year-old, who set up a YouTube channel that attracted more than 200,000 subscribers, died at home in his mum's arms on Sunday.


In a statement, she added: "I would like to thank everyone who has supported Kori and followed his journey.

"He was humbled and overjoyed at so much in life and we ask that people don't forget him, now he has set sail on his biggest adventure yet."

In an emotional video on Sunday evening shortly after Kori's death, Pixi also said: "I am beside him right now. He went fairly peacefully. He is currently lying in his bed - I'm in his bedroom. His captain's hat is beside his bed and he has a pirate flag over him.

"I would like to ask that you carry on Kori's channel subs, interact with his videos, because I am not letting his channel go and for all those people who tried to make Kori's wish come true while he was here, thank you.

"I don't know what to do - he was my baby boy."

His mum Pixi said "we are broken beyond belief at the loss".


Kori, of Ripley, Derbyshire, was born with hypoplastic left heart syndrome - meaning the left side of his heart was under developed.

Surgeons gave Kori a new heart in 2018 but the organ was rejected and he underwent a second transplant in January 2020. However, after a traumatic and painful procedure, again his body did not accept the heart.

He, his family and medical teams had made the difficult decision to not face the ordeal of a third heart transplant.

One of Kori's last wishes was to speak to his idol Captain Jack Sparrow - and the actor responded in style in December with the help of charity Make a Wish.

It was also his dream to reach 100,000 YouTube subscribers, which he surpassed. As well as Johnny Depp, Kori's subscribers also include fellow Hollywood star and wrestler Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.


Ripley Town Council also paid tribute on Facebook.

It said Kori - who switched on the Ripley Christmas Lights last year - was "a very special member of our community".

The council added: "Our thoughts are with his amazing family, friends and staff at Ripley St. John's School at this sad time.

"Kori's story of his heart transplant journey spread across the world with the help of American movie star, Johnny Depp.

"Kori has many fans, not only in our community but across the world who will miss him.

"Rest in Peace, Captain Kori."


https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-66153843



Jul. 12, 2023 "Pizza Pizza launches "Growflation Pizza" in response to rising food costs": Today I found this article by Holly McKenzie-Sutter on BNN Bloomberg.  This is good news:


Pizza Pizza is increasing the size of its small pizza and selling it for the same price to push back against the practice of “shrinkflation.”

The Toronto-based pizza chain is billing its “Growflation Pizza” as 44 per cent bigger than previous small pies.

CEO Paul Goddard said the business noticed people were concerned about high food costs and “shrinkflation,” where companies reduce the size of their products but don’t reduce the price.

The company wanted to offer customers an alternative, Goddard said, adding that the company has room in its budget to help franchisees cover the costs of the offering.

“The customer benefits, they get that medium pizza for the price of a small, but we're not going to economically hurt our operators, that’s very important to us,” he told BNN Bloomberg in a Wednesday interview.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/pizza-pizza-launches-growflation-pizza-in-response-to-rising-food-costs-1.1944686

No comments: