Friday, May 19, 2023

Post Secret- Mother's Day (Part 3)/ Post Secret (Part 26)/Mother’s Day Post Secret Story

May 9, 2021:


Mother’s Day Post Secret Story

[email received: February 8th, 2021]

Dear Frank,

This email is something that I dreamt of writing to you for 14 years. And today I get to do it.

I’ve been following postsecret since 2004. From the very beginning I knew what secret I would write. But it wasn’t until 2006 that I had the nerve to do it. I cut out a photo of a newborn baby from a magazine, glued it to a postcard and accompanied it with the things I would tell my birth mother if I knew who she was.


It wasn’t necessarily a secret, but words I couldn’t tell the one person I felt needed to hear them the most.

When I was 7, my parents sat me down and told me I was adopted. I was thrilled. I thought it was the coolest thing and even used it as show and tell at school. The only thing that struck me was knowing that there was a woman out there that sacrificed her body for 9 months and then made what must have been the most difficult decision of her life, to give up a piece of her. I just wanted to tell her thank you. 

I checked the PostSecret Sunday Secrets every week but never saw my card. I’m sure you get hundreds a day. 

Then there was an announcement about you putting out the book “A Lifetime of Secrets.” I watched you plug it on The Today Show. When you were showing a few samples from the book, I saw mine! I couldn’t contain my joy to know that somehow my secret would ease the hearts of birth mothers everywhere. You also used my secret in your TED talk. You have no idea what that meant to me. I rushed to the bookstore the day the book came out and vowed that if I ever met my birth mother, I would give her that copy.


In 2019 my mother gave me a special gift of a 23andme kit for Christmas. I spit in the tube and put it in the mail the very next day. When my results came in, there were no maternal matches. I had a ton of second and third cousins, but was fearful to reach out to them as I didn’t want to possibly unveil a hidden secret. So I tabled my search. 

It wasn’t until Jan 2021 that a friend of mine introduced me to a “search angel” who had just helped him find his birth mother. I gave the search angel my info and within days of combing through my family tree, he gave me a name and address of the woman who brought me into this world. 

A few days later I dropped a letter into the mail along with a few photos. And a few days later I received a call that changed my world. My birth mother lived 45 minutes from my house and has never stopped thinking about me. And it was an honor to tell her thank you. 

We made a plan to meet up yesterday. And when I arrived I had your book in my hand. The day was such a dream come true and I feel God has blessed me overly and more abundantly than I could ever ask or imagine. 

I want to thank you for being a part of my story and let you know that my secret isn’t a secret any longer. 

So excited to be able to send you this picture! From left to right: my mom, myself and my birth mother. It was an incredible day and I will never forget seeing my mom and my birth mother hug as they met for the first time. I could feel parts inside my heart come together and it was so special. 


[email sent: February 10th, 2021]

Dear Candace,

What a beautiful and soulful story!

Thanks for your secret and for courageously showing us all the magic that can happen when we reveal our true selves.

You are the best part of PostSecret.

For years I have been sharing your anonymous message on the web, at live events, and as you know, in one of the books. I tell people that I don’t have favorite secrets, but my secret is- yours is one of my favorites. 

(From more than a million, I knew right where to find it.) 


I know your postcard has brought so much peace and inspiration to people around the globe. Family secrets go to the heart of who we are and who we choose to become. 

So many heroic stories must have played out in the pages of the PostSecret books, but I would be surprised if there are any more soulful and heartening than yours. 

I have sent you a personalized book, to replace the one you gifted to your birth mother. Here’s a picture of the inscription. 


When I first brought your one book I saw the attached secret. I knew that it wasn’t from my child but it made me feel good. Dec 2nd 2013 I made the same decision as the secret holders mother. It was the toughest decision I ever made. And even though I knew my baby was too little to send you this secret it made me smile and cry. I knew from this secret alone that my son was loved and he was fine. I just hope when the time comes I get a letter from him and we can reunite. Thank you for always giving us not ready to share their story a place to go and feel safe and calm.

-C

This week's theme is about Mother's Day on Post secret:


Post Secret- Mother's Day (Part 1)/ Post Secret (Part 24)

http://badcb.blogspot.com/2023/05/post-secret-mothers-day-part-1-post.html


Post Secret- Mother's Day (Part 2)/ Post Secret (Part 25)




My week:



May 9, 2023 "Google promised to delete sensitive data. It logged my abortion clinic visit": Today I found this article by Geoffrey A. Fowler on the Washington Post and Yahoo:

https://news.yahoo.com/google-promised-delete-sensitive-data-133521759.html

My opinion: I find the comments were really interesting and disturbing because it seems like the smartphones and technology are listening to people talk:


I'd be happy if these companies just quit listening in on my phone when I'm not even using it. Drove with my wife for four hours the other day and we discussed a possible purchase down the road. Never searched on line or anywhere else for it, that was the only place we discussed it. The next day ads started popping up, like the ones to the right here, and on other sites for about a week. Now that's some interesting AI if it was just reading my mind, but the only way to know about it was through our one time conversation. Creepy. We have apple and android phones. They are listening...and apparently tracking as well.

  • My mom was telling me about a woman named Constance once, and when I opened google there was an ad for a book called Constance. Another time she was telling me about two of her friends who were on opposite ends of the political spectrum and maybe ten minutes later I opened my phone to a 'people you may know' notification on Facebook. It was her two friends, who I had never heard of before she told me about them. Definitely not a coincidence.


    • A while back, my stepson and I, while sitting in my living room, discussed a brand of safety shoes his employer provided to him and his fellow employees. Within an hour ads for that brand of shoes began appearing all over my Chrome browser on my desktop, and on my wife's laptop. The somewhat tech-savvy stepson said it's probably our "Alexa" doing the listening.



    May 15, 2023 "Netflix still charging Canadians who share passwords but not Americans — for now": Today I found this article by Anis Heydari on CBC.  There are a lot of negative comments criticizing Netflix:

    The extra fee Canadians pay Netflix for the privilege of sharing their passwords with others across multiple locations was supposed to roll out for U.S. customers months ago. However, despite saying the extra charges were "positive" in Canada, the streaming giant is delaying charging Americans the same price they charge Canadians by several months.

    Canadian market 'matters less,' says movie business expert

    At least one film industry watcher in Canada said it's not a surprise Netflix is willing to experiment with charging Canadians more, while remaining fearful of American reaction.

    "I mean, we're less than 10 per cent of the U.S. market so they can take some carelessness with our own Canadian market because it matters less," said Vincent Georgie, assistant professor of marketing with the Odette School of Business at the University of Windsor.




    May 16, 2023 "Abducted Illinois girl found six years after she vanished when store owner recognized her from Netflix show": Today I found this article by Rachel Sharp on Yahoo.  This is some good news.

    A young girl who was abducted by her mother in Illinois has finally been found safe six years after she vanished, when a North Carolina store owner recognized her from a Netflix show.

    Kayla Unbehaun was nine years old when she disappeared without a trace while in the care of her mother Heather Unbehaun.

    It was 4 July 2017, and Kayla had gone for a visit with her mother, who had visitation rights but not full custody of her daughter.

    The next day, Kayla’s father – who had full custody – went to pick her up from her mother’s house in Wheaton, Illinois, to find his daughter and her mother were missing.

    A search was launched to track down the abducted child but, for years, the trail went cold.

    However, Kayla’s story wasn’t forgotten and the case was featured on an episode of Netflix’s “Unsolved Mysteries” series, titled “Abducted by a Parent”.

    Last month, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) released an age-progression photo to show how Kayla may look now, aged 15.

    Almost six years after she vanished, a chance sighting more than 600 miles away in North Carolina has finally led to authorities locating the missing child.

    An unidentified owner of a store in Asheville spotted Kayla, now aged 15, in a local shopping centre and recognized her from the Netflix show, reported WSOC.

    The Good Samaritan called police, who found Kayla and took her into protective custody.

    Ms Unbehaun was arrested and charged with one count of child abduction, according to the Kane County State’s Attorney’s Office.



    My opinion: This reminds me of the TV show America's Most Wanted.  I used to watch this show in the early 2000s when I was in my late teens.  I was a casual watcher:

    America's Most Wanted (often abbreviated as AMW) is an American television program[1][2] whose first run was produced by 20th Television, and second run is under the Fox Alternative Entertainment division of Fox Corporation. At the time of its cancellation by the Fox television network in June 2011, it was the longest-running program in the network's history (24 seasons), a mark since surpassed by The Simpsons, although the program was revived ten years later. The show started off as a half-hour program on February 7, 1988. In 1990, the show's format was changed from 30 minutes to 60 minutes. The show's format was reverted to 30 minutes in 1995, and then back to 60 minutes in 1996. A short-lived syndicated spinoff titled America's Most Wanted: Final Justice aired during the 1995–96 season.

    The September following the initial 2011 cancellation, the show's host, John Walsh, announced that it would resume later that year on the cable network Lifetime,[3] where it ran until its March 28, 2013 cancellation.[4] This was reportedly due to low ratings and the level of royalty payments to Fox which holds the trademark and copyright. It was succeeded by John Walsh Investigates, a one-off special on Lifetime.


    The show featured reenactments of dangerous fugitives that are portrayed by actors, interspersed with on-camera interviews, with Walsh in a voiceover narration. Each episode also featured photographs of dangerous fugitives, as well as a toll-free hotline number where viewers could (and were allowed to remain anonymous) give information at 1-800-CRIME-TV (1-800-274-6388). On 2 May 2008, the program's website announced its 1,000th capture.





    May 17, 2023 "Uber to allow Canadian teens to set up ride-share accounts this summer": Today I found this article by Tara Deschamps on BNN Bloomberg: 

    Canadian teens will soon be able to hitch a ride with Uber as the ride-hailing app works to expand its market.

    The U.S. tech giant announced at its global product showcase Wednesday that it will begin allowing Canadians between the ages of 13 and 17 to make passenger accounts on the ride-hailing platform over the summer.

    Teen accounts will first roll out in Western Canada and Quebec followed by Ontario and Nova Scotia. 

    The move to allow teens to use the service is a departure from its current policy that banned anyone under the age of 18 from holding an Uber account, or using an account to call an Uber for someone under the age of 18 who planned to ride unaccompanied by an adult.

    With parents and children busier than ever, and many families relying on transit that doesn't always have a route where they need to go when they need to be there, there was plenty of demand to create a way to let teens take Ubers, said Michael van Hemmen, general manager of mobility for Uber Canada.

    https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/uber-to-allow-canadian-teens-to-set-up-ride-share-accounts-this-summer-1.1921472


    May 16, 2023 "How to get the most out of your grocery rebate": Today I found this article by Christopher Liew on CTV news.  I clicked on BNN Bloomberg and it lead me here:


    The grocery rebate became law on Wednesday, May 10 and eligible Canadians will begin receiving payments the first week of July.

    Grocery rebate payments should be issued along with the July GST credit payments.

    To receive a payment, eligible Canadians must have completed their 2021 tax returns. Otherwise, the payment may be deferred until a later date.

    The grocery rebate was passed alongside a measure that will also provide a $2 billion top-up to Canada’s public healthcare system, and funds will be dispersed among all provinces and territories.

    https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/how-to-make-your-grocery-rebate-go-further-1.6400230


    May 18, 2023 "'Post-pandemic hangover' forcing many restaurants to file for bankruptcy, association says": Today I found this article by Tanya Fletcher and Yasmine Ghania on CBC.  It's about the restaurant industry which I have worked in so I read this:


    Restaurants across Canada are "in crisis" and still fighting for survival, says the not-for-profit association that represents 30,000 of the businesses countrywide. 

    Restaurants Canada says its members are facing a "triple whammy" of challenges: inflationary costs, labour shortages and COVID-19 loan repayments.

    "We're in this post-pandemic hangover phase," said Mark von Schellwitz, vice-president of the group's Western Canada division. "It's been really difficult to get back to normal."

    Bankruptcy filings in food services have spiked 116 per cent since 2022, according to Restaurants Canada. It says about half of restaurants are unprofitable right now, compared to only 12 per cent before the pandemic.

    'Post-pandemic hangover' forcing many restaurants to file for bankruptcy, association says | CBC News



    Sat. May 13, 2023 Chef Tony: My family went to this Chinese restaurant to celebrate Mother's Day and my mom's birthday.  It was busy when we got there at 6:30pm.  We ordered at 6:45pm and the food came by like 7:05 pm.


    The quality of the food was good, and I would recommend this restaurant.


      14921 Stony Plain Rd, Edmonton, AB, Canada, Alberta
      (780) 244-8388


    Chef Tony Dim Sum and Chinese Cuisine | Edmonton AB | Facebook



    May 15, 2023 "Tracy's hip- hop dancing videos (Part 2)": In Dec. 2019, my friend Cham filmed some dancing videos.



    In Dec. 2019, I posted my dancing videos:


    Tracy's hip hop dancing videos: Would you like dancing lessons?

    https://badcb.blogspot.com/2019/12/tracys-hip-hop-dancing-videos.html


    Today she came over and we filmed 5 dancing videos.  


    I uploaded the videos on Youtube.  


    I then copied and pasted the links onto my blog and created a post:


    Tracy's hip- hop dancing videos (Part 2)


    https://badcb.blogspot.com/2023/05/tracys-hip-hop-dancing-videos-part-2.html


    I copied and pasted the videos onto my Facebook page.


    Fun: Cham said she was hungry so we walked to this pizza and donair place, but she didn't want to wait.  We walked 15 min. to this Chinese restaurant and I bought her a bubble tea because she helped me film these videos.  

    No comments: