Friday, September 11, 2020

"How Trump's win has traumatized women"/ "Don't let the Donald come between friends"

Here is a negative article about the American President Donald Trump.

You should vote for Joe Biden.

Nov. 14, 2016 "How Trump's win has traumatized women": Today I found this article by Zosia Bielski in the Globe and Mail.  There are now 252 comments: 

The image of Donald Trump behind the desk in the Oval Office induces a strong shudder from many women, who feel like they’re waking up into a nightmare since he won the U.S. presidential election.

That shudder is a mix of incredulity at his win, nausea for his malevolent, orange face and a deep dread for the future. The world is aghast, but women have been particularly traumatized by this election.

They have good reason to be. Now that Trump’s rabid rallies – studded with “Trump That Bitch” swag – are over, his stunning win has turned up the volume on violent street harassment. Feeling vindicated by the numbers, racist misogynists are coming out of the woodwork even more than they did during the campaign, terrorizing women coast to coast since his win.

Mirroring similar attacks all over the country, San Diego police said that a Muslim woman was targeted by two men who mentioned Trump and the woman’s faith before stealing her car (police are now investigating the robbery as a hate crime).

 At a California gas station, a man confronted an Asian woman, screaming at her to leave the country. In Philadelphia, a woman had the words “Trump rules” and “black bitch” spray-painted on her SUV.

At a high school in Pennsylvania where students were filmed carrying a Trump sign and declaring “white power,” a young man allegedly grabbed a fellow student’s breast on the bus, telling her it was “my right.” In New York, a woman overheard a group of men laughing about it now being “legal to grab pussy.” And in Washington, a woman described having her rear smacked by a man yelling jubilantly, “Trump, baby!”

Trump’s win has emboldened these men to let loose.
Beyond street harassment and chauvinistic bravado, mansplaining is also getting louder.

This week in Toronto, I had two Uber drivers lecture me on the greatness of Trump, and then I got to pay them for the pleasure. Both men felt I was being melodramatic about Trump’s dripping contempt for women. “You really believe that propaganda?” scoffed one driver.

(By propaganda, did he mean the leaked Access Hollywood tape on the tour bus, Trump’s own comments about what he likes to do backstage at teen pageants or the dozen-plus women who have alleged sexual assault? I guess I’ll never know.) My next driver laughed uproariously at the suggestion that Trump is sexist, adding that even if he is, such concerns are petty.

Political debate is healthy, sure, but for women, these conversations are deeply personal. The casual indifference here may be even more insulting than outright misogyny. On Tuesday night, ABC News reporter Martha Raddatz described interviewing rural men after Trump’s bus tape leaked: They basically told her that they “don’t care.” Women know innately that most men don’t care about misogyny, but this week, we were forcefully reminded.

As with the sexual-assault cases against Jian Ghomeshi and Bill Cosby, Trump's win has been turning some men and women against each other in the everyday world. It’s teased things out of strangers and people you know, things that might surprise you. With Trump, Cosby and Ghomeshi, the same narratives slithered out, as they always do.

Vengeful women make these things up for their own “gain.” Or, if these things did happen, they happened so long ago it’s irrelevant. Finally, you’ll hear that old chestnut about "men being men” – see Trump’s locker room debate on that one.

What stings even more for women is that so many of their fellow women voted for Trump: 53 per cent of white female voters cast their ballots for Trump, according to exit data. Incredibly, 45 per cent of female college graduates voted for him, too. The results spell the failure of intersectional feminism. Women are divided, and the betrayal has left many at a loss for words this week.

This has been a deep humiliation, yielding an outpouring of public grief and vulnerability among women, some of whom were seen crying on their commutes in to work the morning after. Some of my female colleagues admitted to losing it during Clinton’s concession speech, while others sent around rueful, women-only e-mail threads about the new reality.

“This is painful, and it will be for a long time,” Clinton said in her concession speech, dressed in purple, a colour of mourning.

Feminist writer Lindy West described bawling into her cereal: “I cried because it’s not fair. … I cried because I don’t even know what it feels like to be taken seriously. … I cried because it does things to you to always come second.”

Women’s disappointment has bubbled over: They’re emoting like they rarely do in this era of online trolls. It makes me feel queasy. There is someone on the other end relishing that vulnerability, and it’s more people than we realize.

As Clinton put it in that powerful concession speech Wednesday morning, “Our nation is more deeply divided than we thought.”

Editor's Note: An earlier version of this article said a Muslim woman was beaten and mugged by Trump supporters who pulled off her hijab in Louisiana. After publication, Lafayette Louisiana police said the story was fabricated and they are not investigating.



"Don't let the Donald come between friends": Today I found this article by David Eddie in the Globe and Mail.  I like the picture that was in it.  A black man Leon Powell holds a "Black lives matter" sign and he is hugging another man Jesus Sanchez holding a "Trump" sign at a rally in downtown Tucson, Ariz.  Aww....

The question

I’m writing you from America – from one of what some people derogatorily call “the flyover states.” I am so shocked, disturbed, and I would say even frightened that Donald Trump is going to be the next president of the United States. I feel like I’m living in an apocalyptic movie, and for the first time have a dread for my and my children’s future.

I can’t sleep for worrying about it. I can’t understand how any thinking, rational person could have voted for Donald Trump – and all (I thought) my friends and Facebook friends agree. But then I was at lunch with a friend of mine, and she was thrilled at the outcome of the election. She thinks Trump is going to be a great president. I couldn’t believe my ears. We had an emotional argument and haven’t spoken since. I don’t know if I can be friends with her, going forward. What should I do?

The answer

First of all, don’t succumb to “confirmation bias.”

Confirmation bias is the tendency to hang out exclusively with (and, I suppose it follows, sleep with and marry) people who agree with you, and to read things and absorb only the information that confirms your prejudices and beliefs.


And I think it’s really boring. So everyone on your Facebook page agrees with you. Almost half of your fellow Americans, it turns out, don’t.

Why must we all agree? Vis-à-vis Trump I say: True, he’s not my type of guy. Obama was my type of guy – smart, funny, thoughtful, soulful, Fugees on his iPod, Entourage his favourite TV show – though not my favourite politician ever.

Trump is sexist, retrograde, boorish, a “short-fingered vulgarian”– well, enough ink has been spilled and hot air expelled to describe him. He’s Trump: need we say more?

But give the man a chance. He might just surprise/shock everyone by doing well.
I’ve been around long enough to remember when Ronald Reagan threw his hat in the ring, way back in the 1980s.

The media were aghast, despondent, horrified and full of eye-rolling mockery: He’s an actor! He was in a movie with a chimp! How’s he going to be president of the United States (now glorified with the acronym POTUS)?

(Overlooking the fact he had been governor of California for eight years.)

But Reagan famously went “over the head of the media” and appealed directly to the common folk. And at least as far as conservatives are concerned, Reagan worked out well – left the U.S. and A (as Borat might say) and the world a more peaceful and prosperous place than when he entered the fray as POTUS.

Anyway, the point is not what you think of Donald Trump, or even Ronald Reagan.

The point, I believe, is: it’s important to hold on to and passionately argue for your beliefs, but not to go all ad hominem with them – i.e. not make it personal.

I’m always amazed at friendships, or any other kinds of relationships, that go pear-shaped over the fact the two parties don’t see eye to eye on some particular issue.

I, as an American with American relatives, know of more than one marriage south of the border experiencing “Trump tension,” i.e. one spouse likes him and the other doesn’t, and one or the other doesn’t want to admit it.

But why should it be so personal? Why should it not rather be a fun and energizing topic of debate?

I understand Trump is a polarizing figure. I understand his rise to power (first-ever president without any political or military experience, just for starters) is odd, unusual, shocking, etc.

But that’s precisely why the ramifications need to be discussed among citizens in a cool, calm, compassionate manner. Take a cue from the concession speeches of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama – I particularly liked Obama’s comment (I’m going to miss that guy) to the effect of “this was an intramural scrimmage … We are Americans first.”

You and your friend are Americans first. It can be hard, I think, particularly for Canadians to understand, but America is, at heart, I believe, a rebellious country, a country that began in rebellion – a punk country, if you will, and Donald Trump was a punk choice for president.

So it’s definitely difficult to process, but shouldn’t cause a rift between you and your friend.

 When one Oscar Wilde character says accusatorily to another “You always want to argue about things,” the other character says “That is exactly what things are made for.”

I’ve often felt the truth of that. And never more so than with Trump. Go ahead and argue about him until you’re blue in the face and the bottle of chardonnay is empty.

Just respect the fact not everyone will always have the same opinion as you. And never, ever let it get personal.



Nov. 19, 2016 Post Secret:


6-vote

Jan. 15, 2017:

10-templebar

14-onfront-destryhistory

Feb. 19, 2017:

11-onback-gohomeandleaveme

This week's theme is negative articles about the American President Donald Trump.


You should vote for Joe Biden:


"Anchor weighs in" (Megyn Kelly) /"Postmodernism comes to life"/ Ivanka Trump is closing down her fashion line


http://badcb.blogspot.com/2020/09/anchor-weighs-in-megyn-kelly.html


"Protest rookies"/ "Mrs. Trump's ex-adviser says she taped calls for protection"



http://badcb.blogspot.com/2020/09/protest-rookies-mrs-trumps-ex-adviser.html

My week: 

Sept. 4, 2020:

Help Provide Comfort & Care Backpacks To Kids In Need


1 in 5 children in the U.S. live below the federal poverty line and don’t have the means to afford basic school supplies.
But this year, the need is greater than ever due to the global pandemic and loss of jobs.
Watch the video to learn how we’re helping by providing backpacks filled with supplies. For a limited time, if you complete all the steps, we’ll double the value of your click at The Hunger Site, feeding more people in need.
Sept. 5, 2020 CERB extension: I got this letter in the mail that I get 4 more weeks of CERB.  That's good.


https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html

CERB- basic income article: This is an article I found last month and will publish later.  I have some articles saved onto my drafts about basic income:

"There are results. Previous domestic and international basic income pilot projects have demonstrated positive socio-economic and educational impacts on people across all social strata. For example, the Ontario basic income pilot in 2018 resulted in an improved standard of living for the vast majority of participants."



Sept. 7, 2020 "Canada adds 246K new jobs in August, unemployment rate falls amid coronavirus":

The pace of gains in Canada’s job market slowed in August, as Statistics Canada reported the economy added 246,000 jobs, and other data that experts say suggests billions in government benefits isn’t stopping people from getting back into the workforce.

My opinion: I like this article, because this proves to why we should have basic income.  Even though we are getting money from the government, a lot of us still are working or want to work.

Sept. 8, 2020 Work: My 1st restaurant job is still temporarily closed.

I called my boss M at the 2nd restaurant job, and left a message to ask if she plans on opening.  She hasn't called or emailed me back.

Sept. 9, 2020 PT work from home job search: Today I put a lot of effort into looking for a work from home job.  I did apply to a few PT retail jobs.

"Jillian Michaels Caught COVID-19 And Warns People To Avoid Gyms":
Fitness guru Jillian Michaels, well known for her tough talk in coaching contestants on “The Biggest Loser,” revealed Tuesday that she contracted the coronavirus because she “let my guard down for an hour.” 

She also offered a blunt warning to those pondering a return to their workout center during the pandemic: “A public gym is probably a place where you will get” COVID-19.
“It’s just simple,” she said. “So, if you’re not in a mask and that person is not in a mask, and they have COVID and have no idea — because, by the way, I had no idea that I had it for six days [and] my friend had no idea that she had it when she gave it to me — anticipate that you will likely get it in an environment like that. And if you are afraid of it, by all means, it’s not a move that I would recommend making.”

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/jillian-michaels-coronavirus-covid-19-122935349.html

Into the Badlands: I watched the remaining 5 episodes of season 3/ series on Netflix.  My DVR was reset and I was unable to get the AMC channel.  The show is average, but the martial arts and fight scenes are amazing.

A mighty warrior and a young boy search for enlightenment in a ruthless territory controlled by feudal barons.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3865236/




No comments: