Sunday, July 21, 2019

job interviews/ Working for a franchise

May 24, 2019 Job interviews:

Medical clinic: This is a phone interview in Mar. 2019.

Pros:

1. It was close by like 1 bus.

2.  It was part-time like 24 hrs a week.

Cons:

1. The shifts are 4 days on and 4 days off.  It was like 6am-3pm and 2pm-11pm.  It's hard to get to there that early and that late at night.

My opinion: This was the preliminary interview.  

College: I attended this interview in Apr. 2019.  I have attended an interview here.  It was probably a year ago.  This is my second chance

Pros:

1. It's close by like 1 bus.

2. The hours are Mon.-Fri. with some Sat.

3. The pay is $16/hr.  There is commission when you book these appointments.

4. The duties are call centres.  I call people to set appointments.  It's mainly outbound calls.  I set appointment reminders.

5. The uniforms are fine.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.

Crack repair company: I attended this interview in Apr. 2019.



Pros:


1. It was close by like 1 bus.



2. The hours are full-time and daytime.


3. The pay is $16/hr.

4. The duties are answering phones, scheduling appointments, payments over the phone, and the Excel on the computer.

5. I like the office.  It was in a house.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  I told the boss about my relevant experience at the home installation place.   

Big chain coffee shop: I attended this interview in Apr. 2019.  I attended an interview at a south location.  This is the west end location.

Pros:

1. It was kind of far, but it's only 1 bus.

2. The hours are daytime.

3. The duties are the restaurants of serving customers, and cleaning.

4. There is a discount on the food.

5. If I don't get hired for this location, the boss can put me in another location that's close by.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired. 


Big chain coffee shop #2: I attended this interview in Apr. 2019.

Pros:

1. It was 2 buses to get to, but still easy to get to.

2. The hours are daytime.

3. The pay is $15/hr and tips.

4. The duties are making the drinks, serving customers, handling cash, and cleaning.

Cons: 

1. I would learn to make the drinks and it may be hard.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.


Jul. 16, 2019 Working for a franchise: 

2012 flashback: This was a long time ago.  I think I was talking to Angela about this.  

Pro: If you buy a franchise, there is a business model and plan that you can follow and there is a higher chance the business will last.

Con: However, you can not guarantee that this company is going to last.  Like anything in life.

Boston Pizza: I met this woman Ch who owned a Boston Pizza.  

Pro: She wanted to own her own business.

Con:

1. There is a lack of work/ life balance.  The customers come during lunch and dinner, evenings and weekends.  She didn't get to see her friends and family on evenings and weekends.  

2.  She was burned out.  She was not in good physical and mental health.

Juice Place: My friend A still works here so I don't really want to name the place.

Pros:

1. It's in a business building so he works Mon. -Fri. and daytime.  He gets evenings and weekends off.

Cons:

1. He needs help for 3 hrs a day during the lunch rush.  However, it's kind of hard to find someone to work 3 hrs for 5 days a week.

The worker would mostly be a student who has class early in the morning or later in the afternoon.  Or a retired worker who can work PT.

Or a worker who will work on the evenings and weekends elsewhere.

In this job, it will never increase the hours from PT to FT.  A can work by himself on the not- busy hours.  The PT worker will eventually quit for a job with more hours.

The Simpsons: There was a 2014 episode called "Super Franchise Me."  It's where Marge buys Mother Hubbard's Sandwich Shop.  Does anyone remember her buying the Pretzel wagon?

In the Mother Hubbard episode, Marge is going through the paperwork.

Lisa: What's wrong?
Marge: You have to buy everything from Mother Hubbard like the uniforms and equipment.  They don't care if you make money as long as they do.  What company does that?

The FOX network logo appears.

The Inn job interview: This was an interview I attended way back in 2012.  The boss had these requirements:

1. You have to be FT.  Whenever someone worked there PT, they always quit because they got more hours elsewhere.

2. You have to be permanent.  Whenever they hired a student, they work well for a few months, and then they have to hire someone new to replace the worker who quit to go back to school.

3. You have to be able to work days, evenings, and weekends.  Each week the schedule they give so like Mon. and Tues are days, and Wed. and Thurs. are nights.  A Sat.

There were a lot of workers who complained: "Why do I always only work days, nights, and weekends?"   So all the workers work these different times.

My week:

Jul. 15, 2019 Skydiving: Yesterday my co-worker V mentions that he saw my "skydiving" post on Facebook.

It's in Westlock, AB.

It's $279/ per person.

It's $125/ per person if you want a video and pictures of it.


https://edmontonskydive.com/try-skydiving/pricing/


https://edmontonskydive.com/

My opinion: I went to a few other websites.  It's expensive.  As with anything that takes a lot of time, effort, and money, I will ask the questions:


1. Do you want this?

2. Do you need this?

3. Do you have to do this?

Jul. 16, 2019 "Disney heiress goes undercover": 

   


“Every single one of these people I talked to were saying, ‘I don't know how I can maintain this face of joy and warmth when I have to go home and forage for food in other people's garbage,’” she recalled, adding that this was not the work environment her grandfather Roy O. Disney sought out to create.

“I was so livid when I came out of there because, you know, my grandfather taught me to revere these people that take your tickets, that pour your soda,” she continued.
“Those people are much of the recipe for success.”

Disney says her efforts are part of preserving a work culture of respect that originated with her grandfather and that she says has gradually declined at the Walt Disney Co. “When my grandfather worked there, he hired people there to have a job for life,” she said.

The company has also been accused of sexist pay practices. Earlier this month, four new women joined a major pay-gap case against it, according to the Guardian. They are part of a larger class-action lawsuit, filed in April, alleging that the company systematically underpays its female employees. Disney denied the allegations.

A filmmaker and philanthropist, Abigail Disney does not have an active role in the company her grandfather co-founded. But she says she recently wrote to Iger expressing her concerns.

“I wrote Bob Iger a very long email, and one of the things I said to him was, ‘You know, you're a great CEO by any measure, perhaps even the greatest CEO in the country right now. You know, your legacy is that you're a great manager. And if I were you, I would want something better than that. I would want to be known as the guy who led to a better place, because that is what you have the power to do.’”

But Disney said that in response to her email, she got “nothing.”

“There was no answer,” she said.

According to the Financial Times, Iger referred Disney to the company’s human resources department, “who cited initiatives such as its $150m funding for employee education,” motivating her to reach out to Iger again. She told the outlet: “That never got an answer, so I had my answer.”

When asked about the pay disparity between Iger and his staff, a Walt Disney Co. spokesperson touted its education initiative, Disney Aspire, which covers 100 percent of all tuition costs, books and fees. The spokesperson said more than 40 percent of Disney’s 88,000-plus hourly employees have signed up to participate so far.

“Disney is at the forefront of providing workforce education, which is widely recognized as the best way to create economic opportunity for employees and empower upward mobility,” the spokesperson said.

The company added: “American workers need meaningful change; they deserve smart policies and practical programs, like Disney Aspire, that empower them to achieve their goals and ensure they are part of the most competitive workforce in the world.”

This isn’t the first time Abigail Disney has called out Iger for his income. She wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post in April, criticizing the “naked indecency” of his salary. And in May she spoke on Capitol Hill, imploring members of the House Financial Services Committee to rethink the system that allows CEOs to make so much more than other workers.

“The system is the problem, and the people inside of the system who are perfectly comfortable with the system are the problem,” Disney told “Through Her Eyes.” “I don't think any president of the United States has as much power as some CEOs in this country.”

Jul. 18, 2019 Social event: There was supposed to be one tonight, but it got cancelled.  I got the email in the morning.  I know there was a chance it would get cancelled like the last one I registered for last month.

Counselling: I was to schedule a counselling session for the day, but I saw that there was a social event to attend.  I signed up for the event because I thought it would make me happier.

Death café: I invited my friend Dan L. to it, but he wasn't interested.  Cham had to work.

Call Centre #1 flashback: This was in 2005-2006 when I was working there. I called this woman and asked if she watches dramas on TV.

Woman: No, because most of it is about people killing each other.

My opinion: Well if you watch those law enforcement dramas like cops, FBI, and CIA.  There are dramas that aren't violent:

1. This is Us.
2. God Friended Me
3. A Million Little Things
4. The Village

Medical dramas: They're not about people killing each other.  

Law dramas: There may be murder in it depending on the episode.

The weather: I didn't attend the Death café meetup or Filmmakers meetup because it was raining so hard.

Jul. 20, 2019: The social event was rescheduled for Sat., but then it also got cancelled.  That's fine.

 West Ed mall: Today is Sat. so I went to West Ed mall to pass out resumes when they opened.  I also picked up a newspaper.  I went to the Apple store and they said I can't trade my 2005 iPod in to get something new there, because the iPod is so old.

I went to the Windows store.  The cheapest laptop is $300.  The cheapest desktop is $1300.

I went home and spent most of the afternoon reading the newspaper outside in my backyard.


No comments: