Sunday, October 14, 2018

Riverdale/ Degrassi/ pregnancy on TV

May 11, 2018 Riverdale: I saw the episode Chapt. 34: Judgement Night.  Spoiler alert:

It was crazy. 

-Fangs from the Serpents died
-Midge's mom admitted to shooting Fangs

-Veronica and her mom Hermione almost get killed by Pa Pa Poutine's son
-Hermione shoots and kills Pa Pa Poutine's son
-Veronica's guard Andre is killed

-Archie and his jock friends are stuck at Pop Tate's diner and almost get killed by gang Ghoulies.  However, Archie throws Molotov cocktail at them.
Then former Sheriff Keller, Fred Andrews and FP comes with.  Keller shoots shot gun in the air

-Betty confronts her dad who admits he is the Black Hood who shot Fred, and killed Miss. Grundy
Dad Herald starts choking mom and Betty knocks him out.  He recorded his confession.
Dad is arrested.

-Toni gets kidnapped by Penny, who was a Serpent and now works for the Ghoulies.

-Jughead sacrifices himself to get beaten up by the Ghoulies so the Serpents won't get hurt

Aug. 2, 2018 The pilot: When I first heard about this show coming out, I had low expectations.  I read these comics when I was in elementary school.  Also I'm in my early 30s so I thought I was too old to be watching it.

I have been watching Degrassi: The Next Generation from like 2005 to 2014.  I only stopped by fall 2014 because I was in the Office Assistant program at MacEwan and was working part-time.  I could watch it on YouTube when I have time when school is over.  However, I didn't watch it.  



"A subversive take on Archie and his friends, exploring small town life, the darkness and weirdness bubbling beneath Riverdale's wholesome facade."

Pros: 

1. All the actors look like their comic book characters.  The actors are good.

Luke Perry from 90210 is here as Archie's dad.  Molly Ringwald as Archie's mom does make a small part in the show.

Skeet Ulrich here as Jughead's dad.

Martin Cummins in Sheriff Keller.  I didn't recognize him at first until I was like: "Isn't he the bad guy Ames White on Dark Angel season 2?"  (In 2001-2002).  I was right.

2. The murder mystery of Jason Blossom is good.

3. It was shot in Vancouver.

4. The dialogue:

Archie's dad Fred: The decisions you're making now, they have consequences, they will form you are, and who you will become.  Whatever you decide, be confident enough in them that you don't have to lie.

I will put that in my inspirational quotes.

5. There is good writing.  It deals with death, suicide, and sexual harassment.  

There is also some adult and serious stuff like solving a murder in the 1st season.

In the second season there is a serial killer.

The characters are in real and present danger simply because they live in this town.

Cons:

1. This is a mild con.

Comparisons: 

A character looks like he or she died by accident, when it was really murder:

Spoiler alert: It looks like Jason died in an accident, when it was really murder.  It has been done before.

2. Another mild con:

Spoiler alert: 

A student is hooking up with a teacher.  

That has been done in lots of teen shows like 90210 (reboot) and Pretty Little Liars.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5420376/?ref_=nv_sr_1



Jan. 7, 2017 "Degrassi heats up": Today I found this article by Victoria Ahearn in the Edmonton Journal:





The esteemed Canadian teen-TV franchise Degrassi is tackling the subject of abortion again, given that it’s “a very important time to be telling this story,” says series cocreator Linda Schuyler.


In the third season of Degrassi: Next Class, Amanda Arcuri’s 16-year-old character Lola Pacini decides to have an abortion and viewers get a unique perspective — from inside the procedure room with her.


“We’re constantly reading the stats and keeping apprised as to what’s happening and also have our finger on the pulse of some of the scary right-wing thinking that’s out there,” says Schuyler, who is also an executive producer for the show.

“We’re very much influenced by what’s going on in the world, there’s no question. When this season comes on air, in the very first episode, we (also), see that Degras- si is welcoming Syrian refugees.”

The entire third season is now available in Canada on the Family Channel app and on Netflix in the U.S. and around the world. The season makes its Canadian broadcast premiere on Family Channel on Monday.

This is the fourth time a Degrassi character has had an abortion. The previous characters were Erica Farrell of Degrassi High, Tessa Campanelli of School’s Out! and Manny Santos of Degrassi: The Next Generation.

“We’ve also done an equal number of stories of kids who get pregnant and make different choices,” says Schuyler.

“So it’s not like we are advocating, ‘Get pregnant, get an abortion.’ But we really felt that it was very important, particularly in this day and age when the abortion debate is coming back on the main stage, that we wanted to demystify it.

“Our message is not: ‘Use abor- tion as birth control.’ Far from it,” she adds. “But we also want to respect the dignity and the rights of a young woman to be able to make her own informed choices.”

In the episode #IRegretNothing, Lola finds out she’s pregnant and decides to have an abortion after researching her options for a couple of weeks.

When a counsellor at the clinic stresses that she can take more time to think about her options, Lola insists she wants to go through with it. Cameras then show her lying on the examination table and chatting with the doctor in the procedure room as he preps the equipment.

“I think that it will help a lot of teenagers realize that, ‘Hey, it’s OK if I do this because it is my body and I can be strong after this, I’ll get through this, I have lots of people supporting me,’” says Arcuri.

Lola isn’t haunted by her decision, as is often the case in abortion storylines. Instead, she tells a friend that it wasn’t a difficult choice for her and that she doesn’t feel sad or regretful.

“Some girls will have an emotion and cry for days after and some will feel strong and feel liberated and feel like it wasn’t a big deal. And I think it’s a good way to tell a story — that people react differently, Lola’s reaction is justified, it’s normal, it’s OK,” says Arcuri.

“I’m happy that the writers gave me this opportunity to portray it and help young girls.”
Lola also doesn’t tell the father about her abortion beforehand. Arcuri says it speaks to a woman’s right to make a decision about her own body, but she adds that it might make some viewers angry.

“It was also very scary to think about portraying this with all the controversy that’s going on and how many people have different views on this specific topic,” she says.

“I wanted to get it right and to prepare myself for any backlash or anything that happens.”

The new season picks up right after the Season 2 cliffhanger, which involved a tragic bus crash. The new season will also see an influx of Syrian refugees to Degrassi.

But the abortion storyline will likely be among the most discussed, says Schuyler: “It is a subject matter, out of all — I think we’re up to 525 episodes of Degrassi now — and no question, it’s the first, if not the second, most divisive topic that we talk about.”

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/calgary-herald/20170107/282316794718889

Oct. 6, 2018 Teen pregnancy, pregnancy, and abortions on TV:

90210: In the 2008 reboot, Adriana gets pregnant.  It's an American show so they can't have her have an abortion.  She was going to, but then she was too far along in the pregnancy.

It was predictable (at least to me) that she gives the baby up for adoption.  This is a TV show about rich teenagers having fun, and having a baby and raising it, is not fun.

Gossip Girl: It looks Blair was pregnant, but she wasn't.  She was going to have an abortion.  It's the same, it's a show about rich teenagers having fun and having a baby and raising it, is not fun.

Secret Life of the American Teenager: I knew Amy was going to have the kid and raise it as her own.  How else do you expect the show to go on for a long time?

This is a TV show that's not about rich teenagers having fun.  It was a bad show because of the writing.  I only watched it so I can read funny comments about it on twop.com.

Desperate Housewives: It looks like Gaby got pregnant.  I, my co-worker/ friend Meghan at the Clothing Store #1, and someone on Fametracker Forums said Gaby seemed pro-choice.

However, Gaby miscarried.

Scandal: I saw the pilot and never watched it again.  I read somewhere that a character got pregnant and got an abortion.  It wasn't really a big deal.

Oct. 10, 2018 Clueless: There was a teen pregnancy episode of this teen sitcom that's based on the movie.  I wrote about this before.  It was where a honors student tutors the cast like Cher, Dionne, and Amber for the SATs.  The Tutor was sick and kept throwing up.

Then she admits she may be pregnant and they all go shopping at the store for a pregnancy test.


Cher: We can't buy this.
Amber: I have a friend who has this plan that whenever she has to buy something embarrassing, she goes to the store, buys a whole bunch of stuff and this one thing will just be another item.  

Dionne: That is the most stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Amber: Oh what?  Are you dissing me?  I mean, are you dissing my friend?
Cher: Let's go with Amber's plan.

My opinion: I was 13 yrs old and in gr. 8, and I thought that was a good plan if I or any of my friends, or teen viewers got into this situation.

You can implement this plan if you're buying anything embarrassing.

If I remember correctly, the Tutor was going to have the kid.

There was a PSA at the end of the episode where the cast says to use protection like condoms and birth control pills. 

Comedy comparisons: I wrote about this before:

A character goes to the store to buy a bunch of stuff to get one item:

The Simpsons: This episode came out a yr before the Clueless ep.  The family stays at Flanders beach house and Homer wants to buy some illegal fireworks.  He buys a bunch of stuff and the Hindu store clerk sells him one.


My week:

Oct. 7, 2018 Chance the Rapper donates $1 million:

There’s a good chance that Chance The Rapper loves Chicago.
The rapper, whose real name is Chancelor Bennett, announced on Thursday that he is donating $1 million to improve mental health services in his hometown.
Chance said he will give six mental health providers in the area $100,000 via his charity, SocialWorks. In addition, his new initiative, “My State of Mind,” aims to connect people with treatment, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. The rapper didn’t specify how his charity was spending the remaining $400,000.
“We want to change the way that mental health resources are being accessed,” Chance said. “We need a new space where people can get information on how they feel, on where to go and a network for us to interact and review our mental health spaces, and create a community of people helping people.”
Applications for the grants will be accepted starting in January. 
Meanwhile, Chance also announced his charity is giving $100,000 each to 20 Chicago schools, according to WLS TV. 
That makes a total of 40 schools that have or will receive donations from his charity.
“We will be upping the game in terms of equity, in terms of what is rightfully yours. Principals, teachers, we got your back,” he said.


Driver miraculously escapes as gas-carrying truck explodes on highway:



Veggie patty: I tried the ones by Kirkland Signature.  It was hard to cut.  It didn't really taste like anything.

I then tried the one at Subway.  It didn't really taste like anything.

In the box:

My blog: I have a blog and I have been posting my own writing from 2008-Aug. 2014.  Then in Sept. 2014- present, I have mainly been putting up news articles.

I was to be discovered on my blog and be a TV writer and producer.

I could be like Niel Pasricha who wrote The Book of Awesome and it started from a blog. 

Out of the box:

Put up some dancing videos: How about I put up some videos of me dancing?  There could be 100 videos of me dancing to 100 different songs.

I could be discovered and be a backup dancer for a pop singer.  Or at least become a dance teacher.

I could be like Taylor Hatala:

Oct. 8, 2018 The Dollar Tree on Jasper Gates closed down: I was on the bus and it drove by there.





Winter: Today I shoveled snow.  In Sept. it snowed, but it melted fast so I didn't shovel.

Oct. 9, 2018 Work: Yesterday my boss from my 2nd restaurant job asked if I can work.  I can work from 9am-11:15am and she says that's fine.  I went to work.

Then I went to my other job that was close by and worked for a few hours.

The highlight of the week:

Job interviews: I attended 2 this week.

Riverdale: The season 3 premiere was average.

Blindspot: The season 4 premiere was good.

No comments: