Friday, May 10, 2024

job interviews/ Forest Terrace Heights Community Hall Neighbourhood Spring Art Show on Sat. May 11

Apr. 9, 2024: I attended these interviews in Mar. 2023:


The Big Lawn Care Company: This was an interview on Zoom.

Pros:

1. The hours are day time like Mon- Thurs. 12pm-8pm.  Sat. 10am-2pm.

2. The pay.  You either get paid $17/ hr with 0.5% on sales or 1% of new sales.

Or you get 100% commission, 8% of new sales.

3. Work from home.

Cons:

1. This a telemarketer job where they are cold calls.  This is from Apr. -Sept.  I have worked at 3 telemarketer jobs where I am to sell tickets and ad space for a magazine.  I was unable to do that, and was let go after a few days.

My opinion: I don't want to work there.  I probably won't be good at it.


The Staffing agency:

Pros:

1. This is day time like Mon.- Fri. 8am-8pm.  32 hrs/ week.

2. This is work from home.

Cons:

1. The job is 100% commission.

2. This is a telemarketer job where they are cold calls.  I sell job postings .

I find job candidates in employees and companies.

My opinion: I don't want to work there.  I probably won't be good at it.


Apr. 12, 2024 The Optometrist Office:

Pros:

1. I can take 2 buses to get there.

2. The hours are Mon.- Fri.  There are weekends.  The times are 9am-7pm.  1 hr break.

4 days on and 4 days off.

3. The pay is $16/hr.  There is a bonus if you sell contacts, and can get $1 or $2 extra an hr.

4. The job is a optometrist assistant. There is pretesting of the patients and the visual field machines.

There is cleaning and vacuuming.

Cons: none.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  A side note is that you have to wear scrubs and you can buy them at Mark's Work Wearhouse. 


The Big Telecommunications Company: This was a phone interview.

Pros:

1. This is in downtown.

2. The hours are 20hrs/ week.  I have to be available 30hrs/ week.  I will get the minimum of 12 hrs/ week which is rare.  I have to be available for 3 closing shifts, which is 6pm or 8pm.

3. The pay is $15/ hr.  There is commission.

4. There is full benefits as soon as I start.  Dental, vision, RRSP.  40% off phone bill.

Cons:

1. This is more of a sales- oriented job and this may be too hard to sell.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired. 


The Inclusive Lodge in Ontario: This was a Zoom interview.

Pros:

1. The pay is $15.50/hr.  You get 3 meals a day.

2. 6 days on and 1 day off.

3. This is seasonal like May- Aug.

Cons:

1. The job is a dockhand.  This is a physically hard job.  There is cleaning of the boats, get lodging to cabins, customer service.

2. I have to share a room with one other person.  The washroom is shared with 3 other people.

My opinion: I wouldn't want to work there.  I have gotten info about jobs like housekeeping at seasonal places in Alberta and British Columbia. 


The Health and Wellness Clinic:

Pros:

1. This is 2 buses to get there.

2. The hours are 9am-8pm.  Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon.  Evenings and weekends.  25-28 hrs/ week.

The shifts are 5-6 hrs. 8:30am- 1:30pm or 1:30pm- 6:30pm.

3. The pay is $15-18/hr.  You get a free massage.

4. The job is a receptionist.  Direct billing insurance, collecting payments, laundry, answering phones and emails.

Cons:

1. The job may be kind of hard.

My opinion: I would work there.


The Bubble Tea Fast Food Place: 

Pros:

1. This would be 1 or 2 buses to get there.

2. The pay is $15/ hr.  There is 50% off on the food.  There are tips.

3. I can do the job of handling payments and making the drinks and food.

Cons:

1. They seemed to want someone to work at night.

2. This seems kind of hard with cooking.

My opinion: I would work here.


The Energy Company:

Pros:

1. There are 2 buses to get there.

2. The hours are 9am-5pm.

3. The pay is $36,000 a year.  After 6 months, you can get a raise or the worker pays 50% of their health and dental benefits.

4. The job is an administrative assistant and I book installations, data entry, customer service, coordinate with sales reps.

Cons:

1. The job is kind of hard.

My opinion: I would work here.

I attended these interviews in Apr. 2023.


The Chinese Restaurant:

Pros:

1. This is in downtown.  

2. The hours are day time.  This is part- time and could lead to full- time.  I would be the prep cook.  3-5 shifts/ week.

3. The pay is $17/ hr.  There is 50% off food.  There are tips every week.


Cons:

1. This seems to be a very hard job like physically and mentally.

The duties are making large batches of sauce.  There is a huge piece of beef, and there are duck legs where I have to marinate and bake it.  There is 1 other worker.  There is a heavy workload with 2 people in food prep.

My opinion: I wouldn't work here because it's too hard.


The Condos Property Management Company:

Pros:

1. This was 2 buses to get to.

2. The hours are Mon- Fri. 9am- 5pm.

3. The pay is $18-19/ hr.  After 3 months, there is benefits like dental, vision, and medication.  The worker pays half.

4. The administrative assistant job is that there are a 3 phone lines, and is fast- paced.

Filing, data input, account receivables and payables.

MS Word, Excel, Outlook,

I don't have to do accounting.

Cons:

1. This seems really hard.  This is a small office of 3 people so I may not get help.

My opinion: I wouldn't work here because it's too hard.


Here are the other 2 blog posts of the week: 


"Work from home moms more likely to quit during pandemic: report"/ "Dads are doing less at home again because they're worried about damage to their careers"




"More companies are calling people back to the office. Many workers want to stay home"/ "Work-from-home rates drop to lowest levels since pandemic in U.S."




My week:


May 4, 2024 "A Chinese driver is praised for helping reduce casualties in a highway collapse that killed 48": Today I found this article on Yahoo:

BEIJING (AP) — A Chinese truck driver was praised in local media Saturday for parking his vehicle across a highway and preventing more cars from tumbling down a slope after a section of the road in the country’s mountainous south collapsed and killed at least 48 people.

Wang Xiangnan was driving Wednesday along the highway in Guangdong province, a vital economic hub in southern China. At around 2 a.m., Wang saw several vehicles moving in the opposite direction of the four-lane highway and a fellow driver soon informed him about the collapse, local media reported.

Reacting swiftly, Wang, a former soldier, positioned his truck to block the highway, effectively stopping dozens of vehicles from advancing into danger, Jiupai News quoted Wang as saying. Meanwhile, his wife got out of the truck to alert other drivers about the situation, it said.

“I didn’t think too much. I just wanted to stop the vehicles,” Wang told the Chinese news outlet.

Wang’s courageous actions not only garnered praise from Chinese social media users but also recognition from the China Worker Development Foundation.

The foundation announced Friday that in partnership with a car company it had awarded Wang 10,000 yuan ($1,414). A charity project linked to tech giant Alibaba Group Holding also gave an equal amount to Wang, newspaper Dahe Daily reported. Wang told the newspaper he would donate the money to the families of the collapse victims.

Local media also reported that another man had knelt down to prevent cars from proceeding on the highway.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/chinese-driver-praised-helping-reduce-103034826.html




Heartland for Kids: I was looking for a job and I found this charity:

61 million children around the world can’t get to school because of hunger and poverty. We’re working to change that. Born out of the love for serving others, Heartland for Kids is dedicated to feeding children at their place of education through Mary’s Meals USA. Together, we inspire education; providing food and giving families and children around the world something to celebrate.

It is our mission to serve some of God’s most vulnerable children. As our reach grows and our impact multiplies, we are growing too. Welcome to Heartland for Kids.  




May 9, 2024 "Tom Selleck said he gave every 'Magnum P.I.' crewmember a $1,000 bonus from his own pay because CBS refused to": Today I found this article by Eammon Jacobs on Yahoo.  I like this article because he's helping his co-workers by paying them:


Tom Selleck said he renegotiated his pay to personally give the "Magnum P.I." crew a bonus after CBS refused to pay them extra.

In his new memoir, "You Never Know," Selleck recalled grappling with whether to reprise his role for an eighth season and said: "I didn't want anyone to think that last season was just a ploy to get more money."

During contract negotiations, the star initially asked that the crew get $1,000 bonuses if "Magnum P.I." was finished under budget and on time.

The story cuts to the heart of the debate over pay in Hollywood — and seems to demonstrate the huge difference in leverage that Selleck had as a star versus the everyday workers on his show.

These kinds of issues came to a head in 2023 when writers and actors — including huge names — went on strike and secured a high minimum wage and better healthcare rates across the industry.

Even after they find riches, many top actors identify strongly with those struggling at the bottom of the industry and talk about the hardship of the start of their careers.

This month, Chris Pine said that he was overdrawn by $400 when he landed "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement." 

And in March 2023, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck admitted that they shared a bank account in high school when they were trying to get their careers off the ground.

Selleck said that the crew appreciated his efforts, and let him know.

"When the checks came out, I got a picture from our L.A. crew standing on a bleacher with big smiles on their faces," the star added. "In front of them was a very big oversized check for a thousand dollars. The caption below read, 'Thanks, Tom. What a 'grand' gesture.' That made me happy."

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/tom-selleck-said-gave-every-091319745.html



"Vogue model and ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ actress reveals she is deaf: ‘Disability doesn’t have a certain look’": Today I found this article by Taylor Knight on Yahoo:

A British actress who appeared opposite Gal Gadot in “Wonder Woman 1984” is “coming out” as “moderately” deaf after keeping her disability a secret in showbiz for more than a decade.

Georgia Meacham, who has also appeared in the pages of British Vogue, says she learned to lipread in order to follow instructions from photographers and film directors.

“Hiding my disability has been one of the most draining things I’ve ever done — but I’m so excited to start my new life,” the 30-year-old told South West News Service on Wednesday.

Her insecurities followed her into adulthood and Meacham stopped wearing her hearing aids to castings when she joined the modeling industry at 18.

“Modeling became a fresh chapter in my life, I wanted to re-identify myself,” she shared. “I thought hiding my hearing aids would make me a more successful model.”

“It was incredibly mentally exhausting, lipreading the whole time,” she recalled. “I was working myself into the ground, trying to hide this secret of mine.”

Now, however, after years of hiding her true self, Meacham says she is ready to embrace her deafness.

“People probably look at me and think ‘tall blonde model who doesn’t have any struggles,’ but I want to show people that disability doesn’t have a certain look,” she said.

https://ca.yahoo.com/style/vogue-model-wonder-woman-1984-173001909.html



Forest Terrace Heights Community Hall

 Neighbourhood Spring Art Show: 

This is on Sat. May 11.

Come and see the creativity of our local artists who will be showcasing and selling a diverse range of artwork! *Registration and league membership for attendees not required.

 10150 80 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6A 3H8


No comments: