Sunday, March 17, 2019

job interviews/ "Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin indicted in largest-ever case alleging bribery to get kids into colleges"

Jan. 1, 2019 Phone sales rep/ appointment setter: I went to an interview in Dec. 2017.  

Pros:

1. It was full-time like Mon. -Fri. 9am-5pm.

2. It was a call centre.

Cons:

1. It was 2 buses to get there and 1 of them wasn't frequent.

2. The big con was that it was 100% commission.

3. Another big con was that I had to go on the internet and look for business leads to call.  It wasn't like all those other call centres I worked at where they give you the phone numbers and people to call.  

I had to call the business and read the script to them.  I had to book appointments for the outside salesperson to go to the business and give a presentation.

4. They also played loud music.

My opinion: I got hired and worked there for 1 day.  I then quit.

After that, I did do a lot of job interviews that were like phone sales rep/ appointment setter.


https://badcb.blogspot.com/2018/09/job-interviews-meek-mills-donates.html

Jan. 3, 2019 Telemarketer/ appointment setter: This is an interview I went to in Dec. 2018.  It was around the same area as above.

Pros:

1. It was full- time like Mon.-Fri. 8am-4pm.

2. The duties are I call companies and to schedule appointments for our business account executives to sell customize business planning services.

3. It's a call centre.

4. I don't have to look for businesses and leads to call them.

Cons: 

1. It was 2 buses to get there and 1 of them wasn't frequent.

2. It's hard to call businesses to set appointments.

3. This is a mild con: I read the script, and there were like 3 spelling mistakes on one page.

My opinion: At the interview, I read the script.  Then she tells me I won't get hired.

Asian restaurant: I passed out my resume to them back in 2017.  They were hiring now so I went to the interview the same day as the above Telemarketer/ appointment setter.

Pros:

1. It was close by like 1 bus.

2. The hours are 11am-5pm or 5pm-9pm.  It's 30min to close so it's not too long and I don't have to stay out too late.

3. The pay is $15/hr.  The tips are split.  There is a bowl of free food when you work there.

4. The duties are serving, wipe, set, and clean tables.  You have to answer calls.  

Cons:

1. It seems hard.  The week day lunches are busy.  There is 1 server at lunch.  There are 3 or 4 people working.  52 seats.

I would be the only server there.

My opinion: I would try out one shift.  I don't think I would do well by myself.

Jan. 4, 2019 Café: I went to an interview in Dec. 2018.  I had actually applied there back in Mar. 2018.  This is like a second chance.

Pros:

1. It was downtown.

2. The hours are part-time.  Mon-Fri.  It can start from 6-8am.

3. The pay is $15/ hr.  There are tips.  The discount is 50% off food.

4. The duties are making and serving coffee, handling cash, and cleaning.  There are 2 people at the front.

It seems like they were hiring more of a kitchen helper who can get there at 5am and start baking.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.

Jan. 6, 2019 Perfume store: I went to this interview in Dec. 2019 for the holiday season.  I went to the store's website and applied for a temp job.

Pros:

1. It was 1 bus to get there.

2. I like the products there.  It was 30% off for staff.

3. The boss wouldn't tell us how much they're paying, but I assume it's $15/hr.

Cons:

1. It seems they were looking for open availability for the holiday season.  They close later, and it's 1 hr to close. 

I told the boss I can work daytime to the evenings.

2. This is a mild con: I had to wear shoes without shoelaces so I had to buy new shoes.

My opinion: It was a group interview and I was 1 of 4 people.  

-A Filipino guy in his 20s 
-A Filipino guy in his 30s
-A Muslim woman in her late teens and early 20s

It was a 20 min. interview and we all stood in the back.  The questions were easy like: "If you see a product that we're out of out front, you....":

You get some from the back.  

"If you're out of something...."

You tell the manager about it, and fill the shelf with some other product.

I know I didn't get hired as soon as the boss told me and the woman to leave, and the 2 guys to stay.  That's fine.

My week:


Mar. 11, 2019 Cyclist Kelly Caitlin's suicide: I'm not a sports fan, but I'm writing about this because suicide is an important topic.  Please call a suicide hotline or see a counselor. 


Olympic track cyclist Kelly Catlin, who won a silver medal at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in the team pursuit, died in her California home on Friday.

She was 23.

Catlin most recently helped lead the U.S. women’s team pursuit team to a gold medal at the 2018 world championships, her third straight championship in the event.

Her father, Mark Catlin, said in a letter to VeloNews that Kelly died by suicide.

“There isn’t a minute that goes by that we don’t think of her and think of the wonderful life she could have lived,” Mark wrote to VeloNews. “There isn’t a second in which we wouldn’t freely give our lives in exchange for hers. The hurt is unbelievable.”


Keith Flint's suicide: I like the Prodigy.  My favorite song of theirs is "Breathe."

The Prodigy star Keith Flint died as the result of hanging, an inquest has heard.


The 49-year-old was found dead at his home in the Essex hamlet of North End on March 4.


Coroner’s officer Lynsey Chaffe told a two-minute hearing in Chelmsford on Monday that Flint’s provisional medical cause of death is hanging.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/keith-flint-killed-hanging-inquest-told-103543704.html

Indeed: I always go to this job website.

Does anyone remember in 2017, they used to send an email with like 30 jobs listed in it?  Then by 2018, they stopped.

I was going through my old emails and researching the companies.  I go to the company websites and look at the careers section.  There may be some positions, but I'm not qualified for it.

City of Edmonton: On those emails, this company often appears.  I went to their website.  There are a lot of positions, but I'm not qualified.

Ronald McDonald House: This company was on the list.  There was only 1 position and I wasn't qualified.

Friend's help: Last week my friend Sherry emailed me 2 job ads.  I applied to one of them, and it was a staffing agency.

Brought up my game: I want to say I brought up my game.



I saw an ad for this small law firm.  I applied online.  Then I passed my resume and cover letter in- person.  I also put both their names on the cover letter. 

I also went to the café interview the same day so I can be interviewed instead of waiting the next day.

Mar. 12, 2019 "Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin among dozens indicted in largest-ever case alleging bribery to get kids into colleges":



BOSTON – Actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin and nine college athletics coaches are among the 50 people charged Tuesday in what federal officials say is the nation's largest-ever college admissions bribery case prosecuted by the Justice Department. 

Federal prosecutors charged 33 affluent parents, including CEOs, prominent financiers and television stars, with taking part in an elaborate conspiracy that involved cheating on the SAT and ACT and parents paying coaches "enormous sums" to get their children into elite universities and colleges by fabricating their athletic credentials.

Huffman, best known for her role on TV's "Desperate Housewives," is accused of paying $15,000 to a made-up charitable organization that then helped her daughter cheat on the SATs. Huffman also discussed the scheme in a recorded phone call with a cooperating witness, according to the indictment. 

Actress Loughlin, who starred in the 1990s sitcom "Full House," is also facing the same felony charges — conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud. Prosecutors say Loughlin and her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, another defendant, paid bribes of $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as crew team recruits at the University of Southern California even though neither participated in the sport.
As part of the nationwide conspiracy, coaches agreed to pretend that the children of parents who paid bribes were highly recruited athletes when they didn't even compete in that particular sport, prosecutors said.

More individuals, including additional parents, could be later charged amid the still-ongoing multi-state FBI investigation, which took on the code name "Operation Varsity Blues" by law enforcement when it was launched 10 months ago. 
He said the actions of the parents were "without a doubt insidious, selfish and shameful," adding that: "Today’s arrests should be a warning to others: You can’t pay to play, you can’t lie and cheat to get ahead, because you will get caught.”
https://ca.yahoo.com/news/felicity-huffman-lori-loughlin-indicted-145703640.html

    • Avatar
    • Ironically, many university degrees are not even worth the paper they are printed on.

My opinion: This is bad.  Also if these people have so much money, couldn't they afford to hire the best SAT tutors and classes for them?  Unless their kids are bad at school.

This reminds me of the days when I was struggling to pass math.  I worked really hard, and my parents paid for me to go to a math tutor once a week from gr. 6-12.  Then another yr when I was upgrading.  I also had my university- educated sister tutor me in math like 20-25 hrs a week in gr.11-12, and the upgrading.

Applied Math 20 (second to lowest math class in gr.11): 52%
Applied Math 30  (second to lowest math class in gr.12): 50%
Pure Math 30 (grade level gr. 12): 63%

It's mediocre at best.  I needed to pass math so I can have a higher chance of getting into more college programs.

Mar. 13, 2019: I know you want to help your kids succeed in life, and the best way to do that is getting good grades in school.  They need to learn how to be self-sufficient adults.  However, there is a right way and a wrong way to do this.

The right way of course is to hire them tutors and classes.

Mar. 14, 2019 Ashley Stahl's You Turn podcast: Stahl is a business and career coach.  I was kind of "eh" with listening to this human trafficking podcast interview because it's sad and serious.  However, it is a very interesting topic.  They mentioned charities that I wrote about like the Polaris Project way back in 2011.

This podcast is a bit like watching Oprah.

https://badcb.blogspot.com/2011/12/plain-truth-polaris-project-writer.html

https://badcb.blogspot.com/2011/12/human-trafficking-pregnant-bunny-job.html


[SMARTS] Ep. 51: Human Trafficking: What It Is + How To Stop It w/ Anna Ptak

Here is the Cole's Notes version: Anna wasn't kidnapped.  She was dating a guy at her movie theatre job who was 20 yrs older than her.  She was kicked out of her house because she was suspended from school and I guess kind of bad.  She moved in with him because she was still in high school.  He was taking pictures of her for his "art project."

It seemed like a normal relationship and it was turning abusive.  She did mention the Polaris Project.

http://youturnpodcast.libsyn.com/smarts-ep-51-human-trafficking-what-it-is-how-to-stop-it-w-anna-ptak

Gina Devee "Dare to Desire": This is about women creating businesses.  I'm watching video 2, and Gina is talking to a woman in the 13-19min.  There is crying and it's like a therapy session.  It also kind of reminded me of Oprah:

https://divineliving.com/daretodesire2/?inf_contact_key=f05fc3548b4b3c679ad3a30ea503521016358d5485884e2f31e6019a0d26c8b0

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/actor-luke-perry-dies-at-52-after-suffering-stroke-1.4321562https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/actor-luke-perry-dies-at-52-after-suffering-stroke-1.4321562https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/04/us/luke-perry-dies/index.htmlhttps://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/actor-luke-perry-dies-at-52-after-suffering-stroke-1.4321562
Bonnie Doon mall: The Canadian First Apparel clothing store is closing down in Bonnie Doon mall by the end of Mar.  It sells men and women's clothing.  There is a Payless Shoe Source and they're closing down too.

Women in the workplace: In honor of International Women's Day (Mar. 8), I put up a couple of more blog posts about women in the workplace.  There are a lot of women working, and are reading this blog.  I hope you find these job articles helpful.

http://badcb.blogspot.com/2019/03/when-did-being-nice-become-business.html

http://badcb.blogspot.com/2019/03/empowering-women-by-excluding-men-give.html

No comments: