Sunday, March 24, 2019

job interviews/ Autistic boy calls 911 for lost toy

Jan. 6, 2019 Bakery shop: I went to this interview in Dec. 2018.  I was passing my resumes out at the mall and there was a "Help wanted" sign.  We did an interview then and there.

Pros:

1. It was 1 bus to get to.

2. The hours are daytime like Mon.-Fri. 8am-3pm.

3. The duties are bake cookies, and make coffee.   

4. The tips are at the end of the month.  20% off food.  $15/hr.

Cons:

1. I would have to work alone most of the time.  If I have to go to the washroom, I have to call the boss so she can watch the security cameras.

On Thurs. and Fri., other workers will come at 11am to help.

2. This place opened a few months ago.  When a company is new, it's not established and may close down.  I know companies can be here for a long time and still close down.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.

Jan. 11, 2019 Janitor supplies: I went to this job interview in Dec. 2018.  This is the last interview I went to this year.  I attended an interview here months ago.  One of the workers did recognize me.  This is my second chance.

Pros:

1. It was full-time.  Mon.-Fri. 8:30am- 4:30pm.  There are some Sat.

2. The pay is $19-21/hr.

3. The duties are put ads on websites of our products.  I answer phones, emails, billing, order online, send invoices.

Cons: 

1. It's 2 buses to get there.  One of the buses doesn't come frequently like the #70.  It comes every 30 min.

2. This is a mild con: It's selling janitorial supplies.  It seems kind of boring.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  I will give points that the new boss was really nice.  He did email me a couple of weeks later and told me that I didn't get hired, and he appreciated me coming in.

I thought we built a rapport because he saw that I worked at the Office Job.  He worked at the same company years before.

Jan. 16, 2018 High- end jewellery store: This is the first interview of 2019.

Pros:

1. The hours are full-time like 10am-5pm or 1pm-9pm.

2. The pay involved commission.

3. The duties are selling jewellery.  There is customized and fixing it.  There is the till, and wiping glass.

Cons:

1. This is a mild con.  There are 2 buses to get there.  They are frequent, but it's about an 1 hr ride.

My opinion: The boss said that has 2 other interviews after this and he will call by the end of the day either way.  He didn't call back, and that's fine. 

Vegetarian restaurant: It was a supervisor/ food counter attendant position.

Pros:

1. It was 1 bus to get there.

2. It was full-time.

3. The pay was $15/hr and there are tips.  The discount is 50% off.

4. I can do the job of food prep like chopping vegetables.  It's 30 min. to close.

Cons:

1. It was a supervisor role.  The boss and I thought I would be more of a fit for a food counter attendant role because I never supervised people before.

My opinion: She emailed to say I didn't get hired.

Diner and bar: I went to an interview here in 2018 before they opened.  I didn't get hired.  Then I got an email to come to an interview here in 2019.  I emailed the boss and showed him that I contacted a guy named Cr and sent him my resume and picture.

Tracy: Show this to Cr and he may recognize me.
Boss: Cr doesn't work here anymore, so you have to go through the interview process again.

Pros:

1. It was 2 buses to get there.

2. The pay is $15/hr.  The tips are based on how many hours you work and the food sales so it's like 80 cents/ hr of tips.

3. The hours are day time.  They are also hiring night time.

4. The duties are food prep like chopping veggies, meat, and cheese.  There is more like making hamburgers and salad dressing from scratch.  Making soup.

5. There is a trial shift.  You work for 2 hrs and if they don't hire you, you get a free meal.

If they do hire you, you will get paid.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  

My week:


Mar. 17, 2019 "Superstore, Shoppers Drug Mart customers say they were forced to use self-checkout":

Marvin Kaye said he was taken aback when, last weekend, he was told he'd have to use self-checkout at a Shoppers Drug Mart in Ajax, Ont. 
"Everybody is being funnelled, herded through this self-checkout."
After protesting, Kaye said he was told he could go to a cashier — if he paid cash. He had none, so that option was out. 
"I find it distasteful that I can't even get that basic level of customer service," said Kaye, who grudgingly used the self-checkout machine to pay for his purchase. 
"If I wasn't with my daughter, I might have just dropped my stuff on the floor and walked out."
Many large retailers are adding self-checkout machines to stores, claiming they're offering more choice. But several Shoppers Drug Mart and Real Canadian Superstore customers complained to CBC News that they were recently given only one choice: self-checkout.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/superstore-shoppers-drug-mart-customers-080000920.html


    • Interesting fact, when an Wal-mart started using self checkout for the very first time, by the end of the year their shrink gone up over a million dollars cause customers weren't scanning everything in their cart. Not to their fault, working in retail even a seasoned cashier can potentially undercharge or overcharge a customer, but when customers become thieves and do it intentionally under the "supervision" of the Cashier operating and observing 4-8 self checkout counters, shrink will always go up and balloons the budget to the point where the store will in fact be forced to use self checkout to meet labour budgets and more shrink will incur. It's a terrible cycle in which either a) self checkout is removed (probably not going to happen), b) cashiers are going to have less positions and have no jobs or hours to work, c) the eventual shutdown of the store since it won't meet sales volume, same sales year to year analysis or see 0% to -2% sales profit penetration
    • While walking to a cashier at the Loblaws store yesterday an employee was asking everyone who walked by her if they would use the self checkout machine and i said no because they don't take cash anymore. i asked why they don't take cash and she said because it takes to long after the store is closed for the employee to count it? I don't use credit cards because i pay with cash and for a supposedly faster way to avoid the line ups it has more drawbacks than benefits.

My opinion: I still like and shop at Shoppers Drug Mart for their Optimum Points card.  This is one location, but this may occur at other places too.

Mar. 18, 2019 Criminal Minds ending: The show will air the 15th season this fall.  It will be 10 episodes.  The show has been on for a long time.  The writers and producers can then prepare to end the show.

https://tvline.com/2019/01/10/criminal-minds-renewed-final-season-15-cbs/

Mar. 19, 2019 Restaurant: I took the bus to drop off a resume at a restaurant that I never applied to before.  I thought the other restaurant that was beside it was open, but it will 30 min. later.  (I went there in the morning.)

I took the bus home and I got a call for another interview.  I went there in the afternoon.

Spring: It was warm enough that I wore my spring/ autumn coat.  Don't put away your winter coat until June.  There seems to be a lot of this:

One week, it's early spring.  Next week, it's snowing.  Then, it's spring again.

Mar. 20, 2019 Autistic boy calls 911 for lost toy: This was actually an uplifting story:

Bob Paul, 47, a Woodbridge, New Jersey firefighter, was surprised when he received a call from the local police department dispatcher, saying that a 911 call had been made from his home.

Paul had been relaxing on the couch with his family when the call came, and immediately realized his 12-year-old son Ryan, who has autism, was missing.

While playing in his room, Ryan had misplaced his favorite toy, a miniature teddy bear named Freddy. So he called 911 — for a teddy bear rescue!

Paul quickly apologized to the dispatcher, explaining that there was no true emergency. However, because of the department’s policy regarding 911 call hang ups, an officer was required to visit the home.

Woodbridge officer Khari Manzini soon arrived at the family's residence.

“We came as fast as we could. Ryan was very happy to see me and I was actually happy to see him,” Manzini recounted to News 12 New Jersey.

When Paul explained to Manzini that his son had autism, the officer was “very gracious and kind,” says Paul, and engaged in a conversation with Ryan about the lost toy.
“It was nice for the officer to ask about [the teddy bear]. He said he just had to make sure it was okay,” Paul said.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/wellness/see-how-a-kind-officer-responds-to-911-call-for-boy-with-autism-who-lost-his-toy/ar-BBV0ok1?ocid=spartandhp

"Quick-thinking students save school bus after driver collapses":


A group of students from St. Mary Catholic Secondary School in Hamilton are being heralded as heroes for safely bringing their school bus to a stop and offering first aid after their driver collapsed from a medical emergency.

It happened on Monday morning, as a bus full of students was heading to school for the first day back from March break. The bus was going down York Road just before Olympic drive in Dundas, and Aidan Gilmore was sitting in one of the front seats.

"All of a sudden the bus driver started having convulsions, and I realized he was having a seizure," Gilmore said.

The Grade 10 student got up and rushed to the wheel. The driver's foot was on the brake, but the bus was still veering off course.

"In a split second, I knew I had to do something," Gilmore said.

The 15-year-old had never driven a car, let alone a bus (though he has driven a golf cart). Still, he managed to ease the bus off to the side of the road.

The Fix: I watched the pilot and it was average.  I will record the series and will watch it all in one week.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7942774/?ref_=rvi_tt

The Village: I watched the pilot and it was average.  I will record the series and will watch it all in one week.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7866098/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Passport photos: In the morning, I had to get new photos and give them to the passport office.

Traffic jam: In the evening I was to go to a coffee shop in downtown at 5pm.  There was a traffic jam and I was in this 2 block radius for 10 min.  I was going to be 30 min. late.  However, I did get a call that the woman I was to meet couldn't get there because her car wasn't fixed yet.

I then took the bus home.  It wasn't a waste of time because I was reading a book.

Also I decided to reschedule at another coffee shop that's not around downtown during rush hour.

Mar. 22, 2019 "Liquor store chain cracking down on thefts": Today I found this article by Kashimala Fida in the Star Metro:

It was about how there are people who will plainly steal liquor without hiding it in a bag or coat.  It has increased.  I wrote here that I applied to one liquor store that's in a mall because it's safe.  

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/2019/03/21/alberta-liquor-store-chain-cracking-down-after-dramatic-spike-in-thefts.html

Mar. 24, 2019 WEM stores closing:

William Sonoma will close by Apr. 24.

Ann Louise jewelry store will close by end of Apr.

Payless Shoe Source has two stores in the mall and they're both closing down.

Feminism: In honor of International Women's Day (Mar. 8), I posted more job articles about women in the work place:

http://badcb.blogspot.com/2019/03/how-gender-intelligence-affects-job.html

http://badcb.blogspot.com/2019/03/challenging-myth-of-women-work-and.html

No comments: