Friday, August 14, 2020

Fall 2018 TV season (Part 1)/ Minority Report/ my birthday

Apr. 24, 2020 Fall 2018 TV season:


God Friended Me: I have been watching this show since it came out in fall 2018.  Here is an excerpt from an article: 

Though The Eye network did not reveal their reasons for axing the series, the show did see a noticeable dip in viewers in its second season. According to TVSeriesFinale, God Friended Me is currently the twelfth most-watched scripted series of NBC, with viewers down 26 percent in the key 18-49 demographic and down 20 percent in general viewing figures.
TVLine, however, noted another possible reason for the series' cancelation. Out of all CBS' scripted programs, God Friended Me has the smallest gain in viewers from DVR playback.

https://www.newsweek.com/god-friended-me-cbs-canceled-cancel-series-finale-release-date-1497960

My opinion: I was surprised that this show got cancelled.  I watched both seasons, and they are consistently good in acting and writing.  This is a positive show where a group of friends help people and kind of solve mysteries.  I feel good after watching each episode.

Apr. 29, 2020 The season 2/ series finale: I watched it and it was very good.  There was a happy and tidy ending.  If the show somehow moved to another network or streaming platform, there is still a way for the show to go on.


https://tvline.com/2020/04/26/god-friended-me-series-finale-recap-who-is-she-flash-forward/

Jun. 13, 2020 My TV show review:

"An atheist's life is turned upside down when God adds him as a friend on Facebook."


Pros:

1. There is a good opening.  NYC.  Miles is on his podcast:

Miles: There is no God, and that's okay.  I just want to help people take responsibility for their own lives, and I think we would all be better off if we did.

Then God sent him a friend request on Facebook.  Miles doesn't confirm it, and then he got more so he confirms it.  John Dove was a friend suggestion by God.  Then John bumps into him on the street, and his girlfriend dumped him.  Miles follows him to the subway station.

John is about to throw himself in front of a train, and Miles stops him.

John: I think you just saved my life, thank you.

Then credits.

2. The cast:

Brandon Michael Hall plays Miles.  He is a CSR at a call centre, and is passionate about his podcast.  I have never seen him before, but he was on the sitcom The Mayor the year before.

He reminds me of me when I was 22 yrs old- 27 yrs old when I had my blog and was trying to get my TV script produced.  I still have my blog, but I haven't been pitching my script.

Cara Bloom is played by Violett Beane.  I have never seen her before.  She is Miles friend suggestion, and she is journalist for a website.  This job doesn't seem too contrived.

There are lead characters and they have a friend who is a journalist who will get paid to research and write like:

Smallville- Chloe.

Alias- Will.

Rakesh is played by Suraj Sharma, who is Miles's friend/ co-worker.  He is also a hacker and got good computer skills.  This doesn't seem contrived because his skills are needed to find friend suggestions.

Javicia Leslie plays Mile's younger sister who owns a bar.  She is also gay.

Joe Morton plays Miles's dad Arthur who is also a minister.


3. There is good acting.  This is in the pilot:

Cara finds her mom who left her and her dad when she was a kid.

Cara: What if my mom wants nothing to do with me?
Miles: Then you know.  Then you can move on.

Later Cara reunites with mom.

Mom: I was afraid if I came back, and things didn't work out again, it would shatter you forever.  I couldn't take that chance, so I walked away.

4. There is good writing as Miles, Cara, and Rakesh try to help people and solve problems.

In the pilot: Cara gets hit by a car.  Then John Dove in a taxi comes out and starts doing CPR.

If you watch the show, these random things happen.  Previous friend suggestions and people they meet unexpectedly arrive in unpredictable ways.  I never see that coming.

The pilot ends:

Miles: You need to have courage to take the first step.

I find the show uplifting and positive.

5. Ethnic diversity and LGBTQ.


Cons: None.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7948998/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

A Million Little Things: Here is my TV show review.  I have seen both seasons.

"A group of friends becomes motivated to living fuller lives after the unexpected death of a close friend."

1. There is a good opening.

Eddie is on the phone and he's planning to leave his wife.

Gary is at the doctor to see if his breast cancer is gone.

Rome is going to swallow pills and commit suicide.

The secretary Ashley sees John jump off office balcony.

Gary calls Rome to tell him that John killed himself. 

2. There is a good cast:

David Giuntoli is Eddie, the musician.  It took me 24 hrs to remember that he was from Grimm.

Romany Malco plays Rome, the TV commercial director.

James Roday plays Gary, who sells insurance.  He is the funny one.

Ron Livingston plays John, who does appear in flashbacks.

Christina Moses plays Rome's wife Regina and chef.  It took me 72 hrs to remember that she was in the 2016 TV show Containment.

Grace Park plays Eddie's wife Katherine and lawyer.  She was in the Hawaii Five- O reboot.

Allison Miller plays Gary's new love interest Maggie and psychologist.

Stephanie Szostak plays Jon's wife Delilah. 

The show is about the male friendships and there is good chemistry among the guys.

3. There is good writing with the drama, conflict, and tension of losing a loved one.  

There is the mystery of why did Jon commit suicide?

There is infidelity later revealed in the pilot.

Jon: Friendship isn't a big thing, it's a million little things.

Jon: Everything happens for a reason.  The challenge is to find that reason.

5. Ethnic diversity and LGBTQ.



Cons: None.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7608248/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Aug. 3, 2020: It's the summer time and I'm low on TV to watch.

Sanditon:

"About Charlotte Heywood, a spirited and impulsive woman who moves from her rural home to Sanditon, a fishing village attempting to reinvent itself as a seaside resort."






https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8685324/

My opinion: I recorded the series in Jan. 2020.  I watched the pilot 2 days ago.  I don't like shows set in the 1800s.  There was good production like sets and costumes.  I watched it for Theo James (from the Divergent movies).  I wrote about him before:

https://badcb.blogspot.com/2018/09/reverie-veronica-mars-theo-james.html

Married at First Sight: I found out I had the Slice channel and recorded this series.


"A reality show that follows singles yearning for a life-long partnership as they agree to a provocative proposal: getting legally married to a stranger the moment they first meet."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3868860/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

My opinion: It seems each episode is 2 hrs long.  I watched the season 10 premiere (like the last 1hr 30 min of it.  I was only able to record that last part when I saw the show was on.)

I don't usually watch reality TV, because most of it gets me angry like Dr. Phil and Maury.  I know they're talk shows, but they are real people.

This MAFS wasn't trashy.  Some of the friends and family were supportive of their friend or family member getting married to a stranger, and some weren't.

There isn't a theme this week, but this is the other 2 blog posts:


Conversational Intelligence Certification



http://badcb.blogspot.com/2020/08/conversational-intelligence.html

The Centre of Digital Media/ Mount Royal University: Cybersecurity Certification/ Shaw Academy


http://badcb.blogspot.com/2020/08/the-centre-of-digital-media-mount-royal.html



My week:


Sat. Aug. 8, 2020 Samsung tablet & charger: My brother's friend gave his old Samsung 16 GB tablet and charger to him in 2017.

I asked my brother if I could use it in Jan. 2020, and he gave it to me.

I called The Source at different locations and went on the internet to shop for a charger.  The one I had was a plug and wire into the wall.  These days, they sell a plug in box and a wire that is separate. 


City Centre mall: Today I went here because I needed to buy a new charger for my tablet.  The last time I did shopping was in Jun. when I went to a job interview and then went to West Ed mall.

1. The Source: I bought a charger there for $24.99.  I bought the warranty for year 2 & 3 for $6 (for 2 replacements).

2. Kernels closed down.  They sold popcorn.

3. Urban Planet closed down.

4. Fairweather closed down.  They had this store closing sale since fall 2019.

5. Cleo closed down.

6. David's Tea closed down.

7. Aldo is closing down. 

Wed. Aug. 12, 2020 My birthday: Yesterday was my birthday and this is how I celebrated and indulged:

I drank a XS energy drink (grapefruit) in the morning. My friends Ma and Me gave this to me last month.

Minority Report: In the afternoon I watched the movie which I recorded last year and never got around to watching.   I mainly watch 2 TV shows a day.  Then in the summer, it went down to 1 hr of TV a day, and with some average shows that I don't really like. 

Now I listen to a lot of Facebook videos from life and business coaches.

I watched this movie because it was an action movie.  I learned it was based on the short story by Philip K. Dick.  I learned about him when the TV show Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams came out in 2018.  That was a good show with sci-fi.  I like this movie for the action, chasing, and the storyline was deep.

I did more research and I have seen other movies that were based on his short stories:

1. Paycheck (2003)

2. Next (2007)

3. Total Recall (2012)

There was also Bladerunner and I will watch that when it comes on TV.

I read an article about how similar or different the short story is to the TV show and Minority Report.

I saw the Minority Report pilot when in it came out in 2015.  I thought it was good and then I never watched it again.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181689/

Chesapeake Shores: I saw this TV show for a free preview season 2 (10 episodes) on Telus on Demand last summer.  Today I was looking for TV shows and I got to watch thee season 3 premiere ep for free.

I only really like the show for the scenery because it's shot around BC.  The writing is kind of boring.


https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5151816/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0


KFC: I then asked to have this for dinner and we did.

Facebook: I see how Facebook puts all the birthday wishes in one post:

Carol- MacEwan office program

Tina- NAIT

Anastasia - from Filmmakers group

Ruscelle - from high school

Neil- NAIT

Judith- from Call Centre #3 

Marcie - NAIT

Enrico- from my 1st restaurant job.  I saw that it was his birthday too and I remembered we had the same birthday.

Giles Panton- he's a Canadian actor I saw on Flash Gordon and who I sent my The Vertex Fighter script to.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2297876/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

We went bananas for the homeless: My friend Lincoln Ho bought 240 pounds of bananas that were on sale and gave it the homeless like at Hope Mission:

https://www.facebook.com/yegventures/videos/333876947744918/UzpfSTg4ODk2NTIzMDoxMDE2Mzg4ODA3NDEzNTIzMQ/?sk=wall&notif_id=1597157994313458&notif_t=wall

Take a break: I didn't read the news or listen to my Facebook videos until the evening.




No comments: