Sunday, February 24, 2019

job interviews/ Payless Shoe Source and Home Outfitters closing down

Dec. 19, 2018 Clothing store: I went to an interview in Nov. 2018.  I passed my resume there in person and online.

Pros:

1. It was close by, 1 bus to get there.

2. It was part-time, and daytime hours.

3. The pay was $15/hr.  

4. They give you the schedule a month ahead.


5. The duties are selling clothes and the cash register.  There is a sales target.  There is lots of customer service and listening to them. 

Cons: None.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  I called on Fri. and the boss hasn't made a decision yet, and then on Sat. she called me and said I didn't get hired.

Fast food restaurant: I went to an interview this month.


Pros:



1. It was close by, 1 bus to get there.

2. It was part-time, and daytime hours.

3. The pay was $15/hr.  The tips are divided.  50% off the food, only after 3 months probation, and only at that location.

I go to lots of restaurant interviews and most of them say 50% off food when working, and not after 3 months probation.

4. The duties are opening and closing the restaurant.  I would make wraps, salads, deep frying.


Cons: None.


My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  However, he did show me that there are 300 people who applied or at least viewed the job ad on Indeed.  He was interviewing 20 people.


I did tell him I was interested in the job.


Clothing store #2: I went to an interview this month.


Pros:


1. It was 2 buses to get to.  It was far, but at least the buses come frequently.


2. The hours are PT.  I told her I can work 4 or 5 days.


3. The pay was $15/hr.


4. The duties are putting clothes out, get fitting rooms, the till.


Cons: 


1. It seemed like they wanted more availability to close at night.  I told her I can close at night, and I would prefer daytime.  It was about the buses.


My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.


Senior home care interview: I went to an interview this month.  It was for the cafeteria job there.


Pros:


1. It was 2 buses to get there.


2. The hours are 7:30am- 3:30pm or 11am-7pm.


3. The pay was $15-19/hr.  There are no tips.  The discount is 50% off.


4. The duties are cooking and baking.  There is the till.


Cons:


1. It was a casual on- call position.  There are no guarantee hours.  They will call you anytime.  You  can't really plan your life around work if you don't know when you will be called in.


2. This is a mild con.  I have to get a criminal record check because there are vulnerable people/ seniors here.  I have to pay for it and I don't get reimbursed for it.


My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.


Pizza place:  I went to an interview this month.


Pros:


1. It was close by, like 2 buses to get there.


2. It was $15/hr.


3. I can take orders and kitchen prep.


Cons: 


1. They were mainly looking for nights.  I talked to the woman who set the interview up and she said it was mainly nights, and maybe some day shifts.


The woman boss J said they were looking for nights.  The place closes at 11pm so it's very late.  I can close at 9pm and take the bus.


My opinion: I would work there if I got hired to work in the daytime.



My week:



Sun. Feb. 17, 2019 Work: Tonight it was actually busy.  There were 42 customers.  It was probably because of the long weekend.

Valentine's Day: Ca told me she worked Valentine's Day, and it was very busy.  It also didn't go very well because though there are 5 workers, it was understaffed.

Feb. 15, 2019 He pretended a date stood him up at Outback Steakhouse on Valentine’s Day. Strangers picked up his tab:
A thought popped into Stephen Bonser’s head midway through Valentine’s Day.
“If I went to Outback Steakhouse by myself tonight and asked for a table for 2, then got progressively sadder as the night went on alone, do you think they’d give me my steak for free?” the 27-year-old, who works in technology sales and lives in Washington, asked his hundreds of Twitter followers.
His sister egged him on, telling him that she would pay for his meal on Thursday if the restaurant didn’t. Three hours later, Bonser was waiting by the host stand at the Outback Steakhouse in Arlington, dressed in a fresh blazer and button-down shirt and carrying a poorly wrapped present.
“I figured that I’m getting a free steak either way,” he told The Washington Post later that night. “It would be fiscally irresponsible not to do it.”
By 10:30 p.m., the check still hadn’t shown up, and Bonser had spent nearly two hours waiting for his nonexistent date. Just when he started to think that he might actually be on the hook for the bill, a couple who had been sitting at the bar got up. They looked “no younger than 60 or so,” he said, and he got the sense that this wasn’t their first Valentine’s Day at Outback. On their way out, they stopped by his table and told him that they had already paid for his meal.
“Hey, bud, we’ll take care of that,” the man said, according to Bonser. “Sorry about that. Don’t let it get you down.”
His mission was a success: Despite having no previous acting experience, Bonser had been able to convince his fellow diners that he had been stood up on Valentine’s Day. As a “thank you,” he made a $50 donation to the American Civil Liberties Union, figuring that was roughly what his meal had cost the anonymous couple.
“Otherwise,” he told The Post, “I’m going to have some real bad karma coming my way.”
Within a matter of hours, thousands of people had retweeted or liked Bonser’s Twitter thread, and at least one woman had volunteered to go on a real date with him. “Get this cat free steak.....FO LIFE!” wrote NFL Network host Cole Wright, who deemed it the funniest Twitter thread of all time. Fantasy football analyst Adam Rank, also with NFL Network, chimed in: “I feel like you’re the hero we don’t deserve.”
Advertisement
Others criticized him for wasting his waiter’s time, arguing that he should have tipped more than $20 on one of the busiest nights of the year. In his defense, Bonser said that he had tried to make sure he was leaving a good tip for the man, who seemed to genuinely feel sorry for him and responded to the situation with impressive tact.
“The waiter was a rock star,” he said. “He handled it so smoothly.”
My opinion: At least he donated money to a charity.

The Fix: It will come out on Mar. 18, 2019.  It stars Robin Tunney (The Mentalist), Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Ten Days in the Valley), and Merrin Dungey (Alias).

"An L.A. prosecutor moves to Oregon after losing a high-profile murder case, but when the killer strikes again, she returns to seek justice under her own terms. "

Try small new things: 

Feb. 16, 2019: I read job articles at night and then went to bed.  I usually read those articles in the day time.  I guess I was trying to incubate my subconscious for a solution in my sleep.

Feb. 17, 2019: I read the comics in the morning when I usually read it at night.

I washed my hair in the morning when I usually do it at night.

Feb. 18, 2019: I only drank 1 cup of coffee today instead of 3.

Friends: I called my friend Cham.  She is moving to a new place.

Feb. 19, 2019 The results: You guys are probably saying: "This is boring."  There aren't really any new results.  

Bonnie Doon mall: I passed my resumes there last week.  Today I passed more resumes there.  I find this mall to be average at best, and mediocre at worst.

There's a Safeway, a gas station, and a bank.  There's a food court, and a bowling alley.  There are stores, but if you walk through it, there is a lot of empty space.

Payless Shoes closing 248 Canadian Stores:

TORONTO — Mounting debts and a challenging retail market are forcing Payless ShoeSource Canada Inc. to shutter all of its North American stores by May.
The Kansas-based discount footwear retailer said Tuesday that it will soon file for creditor protection in Canada, making way for liquidation sales at the 248 locations it owns in the country.
The move comes just after Payless filed for bankruptcy in the U.S. and after Ohio-based shoe brand DSW Inc. shut down its Town Shoes Ltd. brand and the 38 stores it had in the country, saying the "competitive landscape for mid-luxury, mall-based footwear has dramatically changed, comparable sales have deteriorated consistently and generated significant operating losses."

My opinion: I was surprised this store closed down.  I thought it was an average store.  I wrote about the Town Shoes in West Edmonton mall closed down, but I didn't know all their locations closed.

I applied to a couple of Payless locations in the last few months. 



Feb. 20, 2019 Dr. Myles Munroe: Britta Aragon sent me this video about Munroe who was 1 of 11 kids and he grew up in poverty.   It was inspirational to listen to as he compares about being a lion.  You don't have to be the smartest or strongest, but it is about your belief system.

"Dr. Myles Munroe gave detailed instructions how to become a leader and how to break away from poor thinking .Very powerful and positive speech"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FMUysy5fss&app=desktop


Britta Aragon: 

It's strength building time... and a time to redirect your perspective to know that you are being asked to get ready for what’s coming. 
So ask yourself: 
Who do I have to BECOME to receive my king/queen? 
Who do I have to BE to run a million dollar business? 
Who do I have to BECOME to receive peace? 
Who do I have to BECOME to receive a baby? 
Who do I have to BE to sleep well at night ?
Who do I have to BE to be a great leader? 
Who do I have to BE to be a great friend? 
Who do I have to BE to receive God’s blessings? 
The truth is that the magic comes when we start to ask ourselves quality questions on a daily basis and start finding out where we fall short. 


Feb. 22, 2019 Home Outfitters closing down: 

Hudson's Bay Co. announced Thursday it will close its housewares chain Home Outfitters in Canada.
The company also says it will conduct a "fleet review" of another one of its retail chains, Saks OFF 5th, which has 133 locations in the U.S. and Canada. The review will likely see the company close 20 stores in the U.S.
There are 37 Home Outfitters locations across Canada. All will be closed by the end of 2019. Almost all of the areas losing a Home Outfitters store have a regular HBC store nearby, a spokesperson for the company told CBC News.

AC/DC Angus Young donates: 

A Canadian hockey ref's unusual fundraiser for Alzheimer's research has caught the attention of his musical heroes.
Steve McNeil is from Toronto but has been travelling across the country to skate for 19 hours and 26 minutes in each of Canada's NHL cities, raising awareness and money for local Alzheimer's societies. 
His effort is a tribute to his mother, who had the neurological disease, and to Malcolm Young, who co-founded the iconic Australian rock band AC/DC and died from dementia in 2017 at age 64. 

Now the musician's younger brother, band co-founder and lead guitarist Angus Young, has donated $19,260 Cdn to the Alzheimer Society of Ontario, McNeil said.
He asked the society to distribute the money to dementia music programs across Canada.
The society confirmed it had received the donation and told CBC it would be used for music therapy.
"It's funny how things work in the world, but rock-and-roll is such a powerful tool," McNeil said when he heard the good news. "This is AC/DC. This could open so many doors."

Feb. 23, 2019 "Patch of indoor grass gives dogs a whiff of the litter box lifestyle": Today I found this article by Melissa Hank in the Edmonton Journal.  It's about Doggielawn, like where dogs can do their business in a lawn indoors.

No comments: